Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I'm debating the seemingly minor effort of adding a catch can (really now... $150?), but I'm looking for some clarity on its merits vs. what may be a waste of money. Some also question the necessity considering the mention of direct injection.

I'll eventually start changing my oil on my own and I'd like to know how often you should check the can for debris.

Reading thru the threads, I've seen the pics of the gunk this thing traps & it looks kinda icky.

If you have one, and go to the dealer for for an oil change... what, if any, effect would this have on warranty?

I know there are detractors & proponents, but is this truly a waste of money?

There's an older thread on this from July of last year, but it hasn't gotten any traction since Jan 27.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/oil-catch-can.12198/page-2
Sponsored

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I would think that with modern engines and modern synthetic oils, the benefits on a catch-can would be negligible, at best. Pretty sure that 3.6 will be good for a couple hundred thousand miles and it is super unlikely that its failure mode will have been prevented by using such a system.
In my view, in a modern system the only thing it adds is additional complexity.
Furthermore, it will almost certainly void your warranty. With a diesel, it for sure void the warranty.
Perhaps you could win in a courtroom against Jeep on a warranty claim, but why go through hassle for no tangible benefit?

Here is an entertaining video on the subject. Many of his other videos are also quite informative and entertaining.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Ok, I'm going to throw this out there. I'm a woman, so be nice ;) but isn't this what a filter is supposed to do? And I certainly trust engineers more than I do you tubers. I'm with @pablo_max3045 in it just adds to the complexity.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
If you operate at extreme angles, I can see the benefits, normal driving and trail usage, not so much. See the lite brite video on theirs. Title is something about “stop smoking “ or something like that.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
but isn't this what a filter is supposed to do
Different stage of process. It is outside of the oil filtration system and feedback into the combustion cycle. Admittedly, I am a electrical engineer and not a mechanical engineer.
However there does not seem to be a single bit of scientific testing which would actually validate the use of a catch can. Engines are designed with those vapors in mind. Engines today are so much better than in the 70's-90's. Back in those days, you expected stuff to break. You took extra parts with you on trips. I had belts, plugs, distributor caps, a starter and various other bits and bobs when I went off roading.
Now, if anything at all breaks it's a big deal. And thats because generally speaking, newer cars so so damn reliable.
If you could transport a 2018 Wrangler to 1970, people would say it is clearly the most reliable car that ever existed.
Hmmm. seems I am going on a tangent.
So.. No.. nothing to do with the oil filter and there is literally no reason to get one. Unless you enjoy adding random complexity and failure nodes to you engine.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Different stage of process. It is outside of the oil filtration system and feedback into the combustion cycle. Admittedly, I am a electrical engineer and not a mechanical engineer.
However there does not seem to be a single bit of scientific testing which would actually validate the use of a catch can. Engines are designed with those vapors in mind. Engines today are so much better than in the 70's-90's. Back in those days, you expected stuff to break. You took extra parts with you on trips. I had belts, plugs, distributor caps, a starter and various other bits and bobs when I went off roading.
Now, if anything at all breaks it's a big deal. And thats because generally speaking, newer cars so so damn reliable.
If you could transport a 2018 Wrangler to 1970, people would say it is clearly the most reliable car that ever existed.
Hmmm. seems I am going on a tangent.
So.. No.. nothing to do with the oil filter and there is literally no reason to get one. Unless you enjoy adding random complexity and failure nodes to you engine.
Haha nope I'm just a simple woman. Thanks for the response. :like:

OP
OP
melendez69

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
If you operate at extreme angles, I can see the benefits, normal driving and trail usage, not so much. See the lite brite video on theirs. Title is something about “stop smoking “ or something like that.
I know that one... I'll give it a look. You also answered another question I had... I have large speed bumps in my neighborhood... that's as extreme an angle as I've gotten in the last few months.

You're such a clairvoyant...

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
If you operate at extreme angles
The smoke is not hurting anything at all.
If you are operating your car at that angle, the issue is oil pressure, not EGR gasses. The lack or proper oil circulation WILL do damage, where as some smoke out the back just stinks a bit.

While lite brite are entertaining, it is worth mentioning that they are HEAVILY sponsored. All their "reviews" are from sponsored products and it is always... oh.. we cannot live without "insert sponsor". Or, "insert sponsor" is the best and you HAVE to have this on your Jeep.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I know that one... I'll give it a look. You also answered another question I had... I have large speed bumps in my neighborhood... that's as extreme an angle as I've gotten in the last few months.

You're such a clairvoyant...
It's ok. We are all family. You can say speed bumps at.... the mall :devil:

On a serious note, I can't wait for nicer weather so I can hit some trails!

OP
OP
melendez69

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I'm going to throw this out there. I'm a woman, so be nice ;) but isn't this what a filter is supposed to do? And I certainly trust engineers more than I do you tubers. I'm with @pablo_max3045 in it just adds to the complexity.
Yes... the F word. It's there to keep the naughty bits out, so that's why I'm unsure if the can is worth the effort / money.

I'd like to know if the forum members showing the debris in the can are operating as @BillG mentions.
Sponsored