Terrible 2.0 gas mileage?

dustanner

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe
I have a 2018 JLUR, 2.0 with stock suspension and tires, steel bumpers, and winch(just added less than 100 miles ago)

After 1300 miles, ~600 highway the rest city, I’m averaging 13.4 MPG! (calculated by the Jeep) One of the main reasons I chose the 2.0 was for the fuel economy but this seems like a 3.6L average. No, I didn’t expect the stickered 22-24 but I did expect it to be in the high teens and maybe over 20 on the highway.

What are you averaging? Thanks!
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 JLUR, 2.0 with stock suspension and tires, steel bumpers, and winch(just added less than 100 miles ago)

After 1300 miles, ~600 highway the rest city, I’m averaging 13.4 MPG! (calculated by the Jeep) One of the main reasons I chose the 2.0 was for the fuel economy but this seems like a 3.6L average. No, I didn’t expect the stickered 22-24 but I did expect it to be in the high teens and maybe over 20 on the highway.

What are you averaging? Thanks!
Do you have a heavy foot or not? This thing is basically a file cabinet on wheels, go beyond 65 mph will drastically lower your mpg.

Many folks report MPG getting better with more miles, although 13 is a bit tard low even for a new one.

Too Smalls

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Picked mine up yesterday. I was averaging 16 on the drive home. I know it’s real early so I’m expecting/hoping it will improve.

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Somewhat heavy. 75-80 on the highway and some “turbo use” but nothing that I’d expect to impact the mpg this much.
Yeah, 75-80 right there. It will impact your mpg that much, just remind yourself this is a box with 0 aerodynamics. Try 65-70, it should getting better.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Hills will also kill mpg. Whenever I see someone post about great mpg, I always look at their location. Some parts of the country are much flatter than others.

Also, are you using regular or premium gas?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Somewhat heavy. 75-80 on the highway and some “turbo use” but nothing that I’d expect to impact the mpg this much.
That's your problem. Anything above 60 and the MPGs start dropping off significantly. Check out a drag curve sometime. Drag goes up exponentially as speed increases. You're driving a lunchbox on wheels. I average 15 around town in my ruby. 3.6 with 37" tires.

Sponsored

JLRoachicon

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
Getting better gas mileage is a game. If you keep your MPG gauge displayed, you will see where your mileage drops. I am also getting around 14-15, but I have 37’s and I like to drive it. If you really want better gas mileage, yes 91 octane will help, but you definitely have to work at it.

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Anyone who gets a Wrangler (or Benz G-Wagon, or any other square box on wheels) for the fuel economy is barking up the wrong tree. With that being said 60-65mph seems to be the sweet spot for a Wrangler in regards to speed/mpg tradeoffs.

If mpg is more important than other factors perhaps a different vehicle in for you, nothing personal or insulting. There are loads of 5 seater SUVs engineered for much better fuel economy. For the really serious about mpg there are the electrics like the new Jag iPace (about 75mpg-e) or the upcoming 5 seater Tesla Model Y (guess about 90-100mpg-e) although the Jag is more money and the Tesla hasn’t released pricing or availability yet.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
1. Give it another 2K for break in.

2. If you have a heavy foot....you are training the adaptive trans cont module to shift at higher rpm's. Higher shift points mean less mpg. You can reset the tran cont module by pulling the fuse for a minute, it resets the default shift points. Then drive with a light foot for awhile and see if it improves. Even my 2003 TJ had this feature and it would shift into high gear just driving in town when new. Over time it felt more peppy as the trans gradually adapted higher shift rpm due to quicker acceleration/more spirited driving. Guys that own Dodge Challenger Auto's also know this. Driving day to day city driving makes the trans adapt and after a month or so they have learned to pull the TCM fuse and then drive like a race car driver and it "wakes up" the performance.

3. I use cruise control as much as possible, even at 25-35mph zones. I notice that sometimes I leave my foot on the gas slightly and catch myself pushing on it slightly when in cruise. Even though I don't feel I'm pushing the pedal and not increasing speed.....when I move my foot...the MPG goes up slightly.

4. When not using cruise it is a natural habit for most to continue to increase speed slightly and pressing the gas more than needed to maintain speed. At some point you come up on slower traffic and realize you are going faster than you thought you were. Another cause for decreased MPG.

5. Install a 1971 mopar superbird nose cone on the front.
Sponsored

Last edited: