Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
On my '09 JK it stated:
Install chains on rear tires only. Tire chains may be installed on all models except the Sahara and Rubicon. Follow these recommendations to guard against damage and excessive tire and chain wear:

• Use chains on P225/75R16 tires only. P255/75R17, P255/70R18, and LT255/75R17 tires do not provide adequate clearance.
I’m good with that. As long as it is about clearance as an OEM that’s the advice they should give. I’ll use my chains using my own judgment. Hope I don’t have to.
Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
What tires are you looking at? And what will you be doing in Colorado? Off road chains hands down, but if you will be doing a lot of on road driving then you should consider tires. @Krondor suggest KO2 but I think they’ll be much more than $500 and actually that would be to replace your current tires which doesn’t seem to be your intention.
Lol

JeepJets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Yes, Jeep made a great choice with the stock tires. The Rubicon has the BFG T/A KO2, which is an amazing tire. Not only are they M+S rated but they also carry the Mountain/snow flake icon indicating a "severe snow" rating. If you look at the treads you'll also notice siping which allows for better grip on ice. I had them on my wife's Grand Cherokee and they were one of the best tire I've ever run. I'd put them on par with the Goodyear Duratrac tires that I had on a Ram, which carries the same ratings as the KO2.
So if I read this correctly going up to Big Bear with my stock Rubicon tires should be fine since the tires are are snow rated? When driving through unplowed roads do you drive in 4H?

https://www.bigbearmountainresort.com/winter/plan-a-trip/transportation/road-conditions

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
So if I read this correctly going up to Big Bear with my stock Rubicon tires should be fine since the tires are are snow rated? When driving through unplowed roads do you drive in 4H?
I've been to Big Bear many times in the snow. At checkpoints they will allow 4x4 w/o chains, but you must carry chains anyway. Tires must also be rated for snow like the BFG KO2s. I carry a set for just such requirements. They don't usually check but have done so occasionally.

chains.jpg

JeepJets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Thank you @TJ2018
Any recommendations for the chains to carry? Cheaper ones that work with the Rubi stock KO2s?

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you @TJ2018
Any recommendations for the chains to carry? Cheaper ones that work with the Rubi stock KO2s?
I purchased Security Chain Company SZ462 Super Z8 8mm Commercial and Light Truck Tire Traction Chain on Amazon for $148.00

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Cha...ommercial+and+Light+Truck+Tire+Traction+Chain

I have NOT test fit them yet. As others have mentioned the KO2 might require a larger size due to the thick tread. Will do so before my next snow trip but keep them mostly to get past the chain inspectors. I have used the same chains offroad on a Frontier Pro-4X with success. (Yes, that's a mil-spec hummer with chains in front of me... conditions were that crappy).

Double check sizing on the Security Chain website.

IMG_3730.JPG

SZ462.jpg

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased Security Chain Company SZ462 Super Z8 8mm Commercial and Light Truck Tire Traction Chain on Amazon for $148.00

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Cha...ommercial+and+Light+Truck+Tire+Traction+Chain

I have NOT test fit them yet. As others have mentioned the KO2 might require a larger size due to the thick tread. Will do so before my next snow trip but keep them mostly to get past the chain inspectors. I have used the same chains offroad on a Frontier Pro-4X with success. (Yes, that's a mil-spec hummer with chains in front of me... conditions were that crappy).

Double check sizing on the Security Chain website.

IMG_3730.JPG

SZ462.jpg
So I ordered both the 462 and the 1 size up 474 and I can confirm that the 462's will NOT fit the KO2's on the Rubicon. The 474's fit fine, however. The 462's are going back tomorrow.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I ordered both the 462 and the 1 size up 474 and I can confirm that the 462's will NOT fit the KO2's on the Rubicon. The 474's fit fine, however. The 462's are going back tomorrow.
Good to know... thanks for checking! I've ordered the 474's and will return the 462's. .

Last edited:

SeanS

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
As a counterpoint, I had also ordered the 462's and test fit one of them. It was super tight, but I got it on including the rubber tightener. I have not had a chance yet to drive it with the chains on.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon

https://www.bigbearmountainresort.com/winter/plan-a-trip/transportation/road-conditions
I haven't been to Big Bear, but dealing with some deep snow from lake effect (not uncommon to get a foot or more in one day) the tires do great, and often times get get by in 2wd until it starts getting deep. I normally use 4 Auto for general snow driving, but have used 2wd just to see if I could. When it gets deep 4H works great. Since your Rubicon won't have an auto selection, you can use 4H any time the roads are snow covered without hurting anything, so yes 4H for unplowed roads.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As a counterpoint, I had also ordered the 462's and test fit one of them. It was super tight, but I got it on including the rubber tightener. I have not had a chance yet to drive it with the chains on.
Aww man... now I have confusion! LOL

JeepJets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Thanks everyone. Spending $200 on the 474s feels steep for something I probably will never use with my Rubi. Then again it doesn't sound like a good idea to go cheap on something like this. Has anyone found other options like around $100 feels right. Appreciate it