Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAM TRX, 2018 JLUR, 1996 H1 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Commercial Operations (TWF)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All,

Today I installed the Hauk Off-Road River RaiderSnorkel. I also installed their “Smilin Bobs” breather extension kit and ran it all into the air box.

I’d say the install took me around 3 hours. It’s super straight forward, the only hiccups I encountered were putting in the piece under the cowl in. You’ve got to raise the top plastic next to the cowl almost to the point you’re going to break it.

- The instructions come in color, are really solid.
- It’s a super tight fit, I’m not worried about any of the connections leaking.
- The smiling bob’s inlet to the air box is a little iffy so I put a clear silicone on both sides of the foam seal for peace of mind.

(PS - I cleaned up all of the wires for all lights etc in the very end)

Thanks for looking everyone!

hauk 1.jpg

First thing was to remove the stock air box. It was only a bolt on the left side (when facing the grill). Remove that one long bolt and the whole air box will pull straight up.

Hauk 2.jpg

Next was installing the bracket for the River Raider air box. I don't have very thin arms/forearms so this was a little tricky. You might want to prepare yourself to drop the nuts a couple times here LOL. It's pretty simple once you get them started.

Hauk 3.jpg

Since I decided to go ahead with their (Hauk Off-Road) "Smilin Bob's" breather extension kit I did that next. I put the attachment on the air box and PLACED SOME CLEAR SEALANT BETWEEN THE RUBBER WASHER AND AIR BOX. That's probably the only place I see sealant really being needed.

Hauk 4.jpg

This is a better angle of where the fitting comes out of the side of the air box. It's really close to the battery. I was able to run the main hose (5/8") between that little reservoir and the battery. Fit like a glove.

Hauk 5.jpg

Next was cutting. You pull the foam piece off that's right by it. It just pulls right off, seems to just be for noise? Here you can see where I had just cut the cowl piece. I used my dremel

Hauk 6.jpg

Just making super clear where I cut.

Hauk 7.jpg

Next you cut the little plastic piece. I used my dremel.

Hauk 8.jpg

Once it's cut off.

Hauk 9.jpg

Last view here. Just a further back shot of what it will look like when you've cut both out.

Hauk 10.jpg

Again...

Hauk 11.jpg

The work station. I had my ipad in front of me most of the day double checking my steps etc.

Hauk 12.jpg

Time for the windshield wipers to come off!

Hauk 13.jpg

Then you gently pry up the plastic piece that rests under the wipers. Once you get one corner up they start to pop loose pretty quick. Just go slow.

Hauk 14.jpg

Next was cutting again. 3' Hole Saw and the provided template. I won't lie, I used tape under the paper, all over the edges of the paper of that template. I wanted to make sure that at no point did it move until I was done with a perfect hole.

Hauk 15.jpg

Here's the close up of the corner piece placed in with the plastic trim in. Looking back I should have got a picture of me trying to finagle this thing into place. COMPLETELY UNBOLT YOUR COWL and take off. The instructions stay to lift up but it all feels like it is going to snap off. Particularly the area right behind the hood hinge. Be really careful with that part.

Hauk 16.jpg

This is after you get the corner fitting piece into place. Here I also put on the 3" rubber sleeve for the tube to go.

Hauk 17.jpg

Ew baby! Not gonna lie... This looked every bit as good as I'd hoped it would! It looks menacing!

Hauk 18.jpg

The finished look after adding the elbow and tightening all hardware.

Hauk 19.jpg

Finished look from the side.

Hauk 20.jpg

Showing off the finished product with my KC cyclone under hood lights!

HAUK Snorkel Kit Image.jpg

Their website stock photo of parts didn't match what I received. Notice the turned metal piece, mine is all one piece (pic on bottom)

Hauk Wires Clean - Bob's Done.jpg

This is a cleaned up view of the finished wiring and Smilin Bob's breather extensions.

Hauk Wires Clean 2.jpg

Cleaned up wires. They were pretty half ass before. A lot of these installs I've done outdoors in 35 degree or less weather.

Hauk Wires Clean.jpg

Another view with all the wires and install completed.

snorkel received.jpg

These are the actual parts that came with the kit. VS the pics. They now weld the snorkel attachment piece. I wrote them and they said that I have the new version. I like it better as far as no water getting in but shoving everything through the cowl area was a pain.

@Petey003 on instagram if you want to see more of Mac N ME.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All,

Today I installed the Hauk Off-Road River RaiderSnorkel. I also installed their “Smilin Bobs” breather extension kit and ran it all into the air box.

I’d say the install took me around 3 hours. It’s super straight forward, the only hiccups I encountered were putting in the piece under the cowl in. You’ve got to raise the top plastic next to the cowl almost to the point you’re going to break it.

- The smiling bob’s inlet to the air box is a little iffy so I put a clear silicone on both sides of the foam seal for peace of mind.

(PS - Ignore my wiring at the moment, had a lot of projects in the works simultaneously and will be going back and cleaning it all up next weekend.)

Pl Sse post pics and more info. Interested

OP
OP
Petey003

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@Petey003 that's great but err where's the install & review?
Hey!

Sorry about that. I had started the post and got taken away from my computer.

Please take a look through everything. Happy to answer questions!

Thanks man!

OP
OP
Petey003

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Pl Sse post pics and more info. Interested
Hey,

Sorry about my late completion on the post! I got taken away from the computer when I started on it.

Take a look now!

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for posting this, I am very interested in the mod. Does the River Raider change the intake sound to a more aggressive note? That would be a plus for me.

OP
OP
Petey003

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for posting this, I am very interested in the mod. Does the River Raider change the intake sound to a more aggressive note? That would be a plus for me.
Hey man,

Happy to help everyone out. It's pretty cool being the first to post a few things on a new generation of Jeep!

The sound is BARELY louder on intake. I would say slightly better throttle response but I definitely noticed more power. As soon as I drove it for the first time I had to put my foot into it less to get more. I wasn't really looking for that but it's welcomed!

Thanks!

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey man,

Happy to help everyone out. It's pretty cool being the first to post a few things on a new generation of Jeep!

The sound is BARELY louder on intake. I would say slightly better throttle response but I definitely noticed more power. As soon as I drove it for the first time I had to put my foot into it less to get more. I wasn't really looking for that but it's welcomed!

Thanks!
Thanks a ton, super helpful info!

OP
OP
Petey003

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Any leaking issues at all?
Hey Man,

So far so good! I mean, I've not really put it through the test of under water or even a super heavy rain yet.

I saw a little pick up in my throttle response and my power. I'm not sure from a numbers stand point but it was noticeable as soon as I got in.

Thanks for checking out the review!

Sponsored

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
I'm interested in the Hauk snorkel but have a question.

Does the top interfere with the passenger view at all? Wife is the one I need to consider for me to install this as she is the copilot. :)
She likes everthing else I do to my Jeeps but that might kill this one.

Thanks

OP
OP
Petey003

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey!

Not at all, if you sit in your Jeep it doesn’t really come up into the line of site for the passenger at all. It’s about as low as the black part of the glass at the bottom if you look close at my pics.

The only thing I’ve ever noticed is when I have a tight right turn and I’m trying to avoid something it’s kind of in the way of the line of site. But honestly, once you know your spacing you forget it’s even there!

I say go for it man, it looks SICK and I get compliments all the time. Not to mention the peace of mind :).

Thanks!

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
I do like the looks of it. Similar to what I did with my TJ it just didn't have the mushroom.

Thanks for the info and write up.

arcticaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Great write up! Any issues now that you've had it installed for a few months? Now we just need photos of you testing it out!

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
Hey All,

(PS - I cleaned up all of the wires for all lights etc in the very end)

hauk 1.jpg

First thing was to remove the stock air box. It was only a bolt on the left side (when facing the grill). Remove that one long bolt and the whole air box will pull straight up.

Hauk 2.jpg

Next was installing the bracket for the River Raider air box. I don't have very thin arms/forearms so this was a little tricky. You might want to prepare yourself to drop the nuts a couple times here LOL. It's pretty simple once you get them started.

Hauk 3.jpg

Since I decided to go ahead with their (Hauk Off-Road) "Smilin Bob's" breather extension kit I did that next. I put the attachment on the air box and PLACED SOME CLEAR SEALANT BETWEEN THE RUBBER WASHER AND AIR BOX. That's probably the only place I see sealant really being needed.

Hauk 4.jpg

This is a better angle of where the fitting comes out of the side of the air box. It's really close to the battery. I was able to run the main hose (5/8") between that little reservoir and the battery. Fit like a glove.

Hauk 5.jpg

Next was cutting. You pull the foam piece off that's right by it. It just pulls right off, seems to just be for noise? Here you can see where I had just cut the cowl piece. I used my dremel

Hauk 6.jpg

Just making super clear where I cut.

Hauk 7.jpg

Next you cut the little plastic piece. I used my dremel.

Hauk 8.jpg

Once it's cut off.

Hauk 9.jpg

Last view here. Just a further back shot of what it will look like when you've cut both out.

Hauk 10.jpg

Again...

Hauk 11.jpg

The work station. I had my ipad in front of me most of the day double checking my steps etc.

Hauk 12.jpg

Time for the windshield wipers to come off!

Hauk 13.jpg

Then you gently pry up the plastic piece that rests under the wipers. Once you get one corner up they start to pop loose pretty quick. Just go slow.

Hauk 14.jpg

Next was cutting again. 3' Hole Saw and the provided template. I won't lie, I used tape under the paper, all over the edges of the paper of that template. I wanted to make sure that at no point did it move until I was done with a perfect hole.

Hauk 15.jpg

Here's the close up of the corner piece placed in with the plastic trim in. Looking back I should have got a picture of me trying to finagle this thing into place. COMPLETELY UNBOLT YOUR COWL and take off. The instructions stay to lift up but it all feels like it is going to snap off. Particularly the area right behind the hood hinge. Be really careful with that part.

Hauk 16.jpg

This is after you get the corner fitting piece into place. Here I also put on the 3" rubber sleeve for the tube to go.

Hauk 17.jpg

Ew baby! Not gonna lie... This looked every bit as good as I'd hoped it would! It looks menacing!

Hauk 18.jpg

The finished look after adding the elbow and tightening all hardware.

Hauk 19.jpg

Finished look from the side.

Hauk 20.jpg

Showing off the finished product with my KC cyclone under hood lights!

HAUK Snorkel Kit Image.jpg

Their website stock photo of parts didn't match what I received. Notice the turned metal piece, mine is all one piece (pic on bottom)

Hauk Wires Clean - Bob's Done.jpg

This is a cleaned up view of the finished wiring and Smilin Bob's breather extensions.

Hauk Wires Clean 2.jpg

Cleaned up wires. They were pretty half ass before. A lot of these installs I've done outdoors in 35 degree or less weather.

Hauk Wires Clean.jpg

Another view with all the wires and install completed.

snorkel received.jpg

These are the actual parts that came with the kit. VS the pics. They now weld the snorkel attachment piece. I wrote them and they said that I have the new version. I like it better as far as no water getting in but shoving everything through the cowl area was a pain.

@Petey003 on instagram if you want to see more of Mac N ME.

Looks good!
Sponsored