Sponsored

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

• Total voters

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

3.6L all day.

i agree with most that the diesel would be great with the 6 speed manual option but its not available. i am not a fan of the complex design of the 2.0 turbo with e torque. to much to break and no much to maintain. For the hybrid To me, the most deadly to the environment. I do not support hybrid. but let me tell you the torque or a DC motor is of nothing else, amazing. its just not good being battery powered. my second choice would be diesel but with living in California where diesel cost more than premium fuel its out too. lol YAY 3.6!
Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
3.6 L
Nothing wrong with the other options, but I am more comfortable with a proven power train and did not notice a big enough difference during test drive to pay extra for the turbo.

Sponsored

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
3.6L all day.

i agree with most that the diesel would be great with the 6 speed manual option but its not available. i am not a fan of the complex design of the 2.0 turbo with e torque. to much to break and no much to maintain. For the hybrid To me, the most deadly to the environment. I do not support hybrid. but let me tell you the torque or a DC motor is of nothing else, amazing. its just not good being battery powered. my second choice would be diesel but with living in California where diesel cost more than premium fuel its out too. lol YAY 3.6!
I have no problem with 2.0 turbo in a wrangler. But I just don't like the fact it is Italian designed engine. I don't trust them when it comes to longevity and reliability.

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
You forget that there exists for Europe a diesel 2.2 turbo of 200 hp with the automatic gearbox 8, it is sober like a camel ... for us it is at the same price as the 2.0 turbo. We do not have the V6 (in France) but if it were imported I would have taken. Instead of 2.0 !

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
If ALL engines were available. I'd say either the 6.4, 6.1 or 5.7 Hemi. Hellcat if practicality be damned. Hellephant if I won lotto.

Out of the List you provided, 3.6 pentastar since my old boosted one was legendary in the abuse it took. Just based on my knowledge of eco-diesel issues since they came out, it would be moved into the 2nd spot. No thanks on 2.0t.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
These stats are always a bit misleading because the turbo engines are often driven harder because of the “fun factor.” That being said, I think the MPG improvement in the real world of the 2.0 over the 3.6 will not exist unless a person is really easy on the throttle.

This is an almost identical scenario of the F-150 turbo vs the traditional V8. Plenty of examples of the turbo trucks getting crappy mileage while the ole standby V8 shines (relatively speaking).

I kind of wish I had ordered a 3.6 (for reliability) but so far am happy with the 2.0. It has a good kick, even with oversized tires. I’m only on the first tank, so the mileage calc is crap, considering all the idling at delivery and getting things set.

Didn’t drive a 3.6 but this 2.0 really goes nicely when merging into high speed traffic and passing. Very impressed.
I never felt under powered with the 3.6 / manual , the second gear rips the pavement and the 3 rd gear has a nice strong pull , I think it is a matter of driving style and knowing how to merge correctly with highway traffic flow

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
I'm in for the plug-in hybrid. We have an off-the-grid rural family cabin up in northwestern California. It's 300 miles on pavement, followed by 10 miles of dirt/clay/gravel on an old logging road with a few water crossings. We keep my Dad's '43 GPW up there, and I try to bring my Scrambler up,depending on kids, etc.

Here's some related news from this morning. No specs on electric range, but Automotive News confirmed a 2020 plug-in hybrid Wrangler today. Hopefully we'll see it at the LA Auto Show in November.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Hemi. 6.4, 5.7, whatever. No substitute for an American v8.

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Well i decided to go with the 3.6L. Been driving on and off road (some rock crawl/sand) through the spring and summer, and i don't need more punch atm. I still have this winter to test it out though..not sure how it'll like the cold..

The torque on 4-low is quite good already with 33s, i can hardly imagine what the diesel will do O.o.

That said, i don't think i'll need more than what this engine can produce for my wrangler, and the 2.0 seems too complicated for me for the double premium (price of purchase + premium fuel). I might be superstitious, but that 48v battery under the carriage scares me as i do have to ford water on occasions and there's already too much electronics on board.

Now if the diesel increased the max tow rating or if i intended to run 37-40s with beefed up axles and stuff...i think i'd have waited for it and coped with the DEF and added weight.