First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
So a quick story/gripe for my fellow NC peeps. A buddy of mine has a nicely lifted ,accessorized, and under utilized JLU Moab. Guy has never been wheelin so I thought I would invite him out for a trip to Uwharrie this beautiful weekend with a couple of other buddies. Idiot me didn't recall that they close the Uwharrie OHV trails seasonally and nobody else thought to check either. Drove all the way from CLT and turned around for the trip home.....Doh! Why the F do they close Uwharrie for the season?? I mean wheelin is a year round activity! So annoying!

latest?cb=20141227165956.jpg
latest?cb=20130714195342.png
Also, you've got to get in the habit of checking the US National Forest website. Some forests close due to fires, animal mating seasons, maintenance, and a host of other reasons. This is especially true out West where it seems like there's a fire going on in every forest.

Uwharrie opens back up in April, I think.
Sponsored

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
Uwharrie closes this time of year for Erosion protection. With the rain and snow comes a period of thawing/draining. In order to preserve the trail systems, they need to keep vehicles off the trails until the winter season is over. There's a lot of parks that do this. Some of them only close certain trails and leave the easy/moderate trails open. Uwharrie simply closes them all.
Yeah I assumed that was the thought process. I just question the need. Uwharrie is below the frost belt so there is no real ground penetration of frost for any long period of time. Additionally I challenge that winter is any more wet than spring or fall (recent history excluded as this has been the wettest winter I can remember). At the end of the day I count us lucky to have Uwharrie as a resource as the trend now is environmental groups pressuring USFS to close down public OHV areas. A better and more impactful use of resources would be to close the trails for 24 to 48 hours after a considerable amount of precipitation all year. Similar to management of most mountain bike trails. anyways...such is life. No wheelin until April..ugh.

USNJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 95 YJ
I'm across the border from ya'll in VA but I frequent OBX and have looked at Uwharrie. always good to find fellow jeepers that may have a different schedule from my local group. If any of you ever head to peter's mill (BOH Trail) or flagpole any of those let me know I may meet ya'll there. I just got my new JL a couple months ago.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Its hard to find places other than Uwharrie to go wheeling. Most of the time its all State Property, Private Property or right next to the Neo-Nazi/KKK biker gang hangout...(Long story:facepalm:)
With that said, if you'd like to go to Windrock in TN next month, I'm planning on going around the first week of March.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
With that said, if you'd like to go to Windrock in TN next month, I'm planning on going around the first week of March.
Sounds like a good Idea. I'll have to drop by my Brother's house in Knoxville too. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Sounds like a good Idea. I'll have to drop by my Brother's house in Knoxville too. :)
I'll leave the afternoon of the 8th. Wheel on the 9th and drive home on the 10th. That's my plan.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
That’s my weekend to work but I’ll see if I can switch a couple days.
Right on. That's my only off weekend in March. I'll be out in Spokane and Sand Diego teaching the other weekends.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I'll see what arrangements I can make.
Nice! Now, this is what I like. Committed Jeepers committing to do Jeep stuff! I'm excited now. Lol.

Who's going to the Rubicon with me in August!? Haha.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Now, this is what I like. Committed Jeepers committing to do Jeep stuff! I'm excited now. Lol.

Who's going to the Rubicon with me in August!? Haha.
lol, not quite sure about going that far yet. lol

7fAwFt4.gif

I'll have to put those shocks and springs on first. :giggle:

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
That place (Windrock Park) has a lot of trails. Trail 16 looks out of my league (of the three Badge ones), though one of the other two looked like it may not be a cake walk either.

For us, March might work. We’ll need to check Grace’s school schedule, but my wife’s is the tricky one. She normally fly’s Thur-Sat (she’s a flight attendant) and doesn’t get her schedule until mid-month. She said she’ll see what she can put in for to get some time early March.

I’m guessing some other folks on here will be chomping at the bit to go.

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
It’s funny you mention getting stuck and unstuck. I was a little nervous until the winch came out for the first time. It’s very reassuring to know you can get yourself unstuck. After we winched up the first hill, it was nothing but fun.
The closest I've come to using the winch is when I winched through a parking lot to pre-tension the line...We got some funny looks as I wrapped the tree saver around a tree that turned out to be almost too large...I was just waiting for some joker to come flying through the line...

You're right though, it's at least some reassurance that I could mostly likely get myself unstuck with the winch. I take traction boards as well since it would be my luck to get stuck just out of reach of a tree...

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The closest I've come to using the winch is when I winched through a parking lot to pre-tension the line...We got some funny looks as I wrapped the tree saver around a tree that turned out to be almost too large...I was just waiting for some joker to come flying through the line...

You're right though, it's at least some reassurance that I could mostly likely get myself unstuck with the winch. I take traction boards as well since it would be my luck to get stuck just out of reach of a tree...
Shawn and I actually talked about the traction boards yesterday while we were trudging through the slop. Those things are expensive. Haha.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
That place (Windrock Park) has a lot of trails. Trail 16 looks out of my league (of the three Badge ones), though one of the other two looked like it may not be a cake walk either.

For us, March might work. We’ll need to check Grace’s school schedule, but my wife’s is the tricky one. She normally fly’s Thur-Sat (she’s a flight attendant) and doesn’t get her schedule until mid-month. She said she’ll see what she can put in for to get some time early March.

I’m guessing some other folks on here will be chomping at the bit to go.
Dude, that's awesome! That'd be great to get 4 or 5 Jeeps to head out there.
Sponsored