Sponsored

Help: How much gas does your tank let you fill?

suchacrisis

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado
I have had the same issue. I haven't looked into it extensively like you have, but I definitely have a problem with the gas pump clicking repeatedly and stopping over and over at all ranges of gas left.

It is super frustrating.
Sponsored

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
UPDATE: JeepCares/JeepWave is still looking into this, they have escalated up to the technical team at FCA to see if we can get some answers on the definitive capacity of the tank and how it's supposed to behave, will report back with an update when I hear from them

- The gas pump no longer pops off multiple times throughout the fill up, it goes until it pops once at the end

This is interesting. My pump does this clicking off multiple times all the time. I cant put the nozzle in and walk away. Sometimes I actually have to hold the nozzle just right to avoid it clicking off. Are you saying this is due to a gas tank flaw?
from what I understand this is due to something with the EVAP system

Interesting that I came across this thread because I am only ever able to get up to 18gal but the last time I filled up I had to hold the pump because it kept cutting off. It’s always had a cutting off issue too.
I’ve also been wondering how low it would actually go.
Seems like I may have to get a new tank also.

One question though, do you see any difference in mpg with the new tank. I only ask because of the hose emission thing. Wondering if it may have an effect.
no change in mpg

As a motorcycle rider who has traveled across the country a few times (currently have 190k on my bike), I can tell you that all gas station pumps are not the same. In fact, most pumps are set upto get people or of the gas station as soon as possible (read high flow rates here). These higher flow rates affect how well the tanks gets filled.

I always use the first setting when filling my tank. I haven't ran my tank out completely so I don't know what I typically put in it. It does clicck off a couple of times and I usually have to trickle the gas in to get the tank completely full. I will try to pay attention the next few fill-ups and report any unusual behaviors on my 2 door.
$1.69 in TX for 87 (which I cannot run in any of my vehicles, hah)! Agree with the above posters, every fueling station is different, even in the same brand. With all of my vehicles, depending on the station, I'll have issues with it cutting off after a quarter gallon from time to time, requiring me to run it on the first ledge for auto-fill if I want to fill the tank. I just avoid stations like that now. My Audi TTRS is probably the most commonly affected, but it's happened to them all.
In response to this as I have mentioned I've tried many gas stations in numerous states on all the flow levels of the pumps with the same results, mind you these are the same gas stations that I had zero issues with on my JK, the only common factor is the JL with all the issues, it's not a pump issue at this point

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
UPDATE: received a call from Jeep engineers today, they are stating that when the tank is run dry, there is still a gallon in the tank that is not usable so that is why you can only put 20.5 gallons in even after running dry

so to summarize, replacing my tank/evap canister alleviated all my issues and allowed me to fill up a bit more, no constant popping off with the pump during fill ups, and no more leaking fuel out during fillups in addition to constant movement of the fuel gauge (no more getting "stuck" on full for 100 miles) etc.

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
Just popping in to say when I was adding gas yesterday, I could only add about 6 gallons before the pump shut off. Of course, I tried a few times again because I knew the tank wasn't full with only 6 gallons. I finally assumed it was a pump issue and stopped. We'll see what happens the next time i fuel up.

ziggybumwah

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Camaro Z28
Great post, Got my unlimited in July, can't get more than 16.5 (17 gallons once) in mine... Think I'll go talk with the dealer..

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have recently learned that if I don't shove the fuel pump nozzle all the way into the receptacle, I can fill my tank without the pump shutting off.

I just put the nozzle in about half way or so, just enough to get it past the flapper door on the receptacle, and then start pumping gas. It'll go all the way full and then click off at that point.

Cool.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
UPDATE: received a call from Jeep engineers today, they are stating that when the tank is run dry, there is still a gallon in the tank that is not usable so that is why you can only put 20.5 gallons in even after running dry

so to summarize, replacing my tank/evap canister alleviated all my issues and allowed me to fill up a bit more, no constant popping off with the pump during fill ups, and no more leaking fuel out during fillups in addition to constant movement of the fuel gauge (no more getting "stuck" on full for 100 miles) etc.
The 20.5 usable gallons can vary. You and I are the only ones I've seen on the forum who've run dry. I was able to put 21 gal in after running out.
On the other part of your post about when it shows 0 range vs. when it's actually empty, I can confirm that I can consistently get 70 miles after low fuel, and 30 after 0 range. (The running out case was an outlier that caused me to adjust my slack estimate. Adjusted numbers are what I stated here.) I can't put more than 20.5 gal in even then.
The JK was different. Many times I put over 22 gal in a tank that was listed as 22.5 gal.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
The 20.5 usable gallons can vary. You and I are the only ones I've seen on the forum who've run dry. I was able to put 21 gal in after running out.
On the other part of your post about when it shows 0 range vs. when it's actually empty, I can confirm that I can consistently get 70 miles after low fuel, and 30 after 0 range. (The running out case was an outlier that caused me to adjust my slack estimate. Adjusted numbers are what I stated here.) I can't put more than 20.5 gal in even then.
The JK was different. Many times I put over 22 gal in a tank that was listed as 22.5 gal.
Agree the JK was definitely different, I would put over 21 in it regularly.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
Did they ever explain why there is an unusable gallon in the tank?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Did they ever explain why there is an unusable gallon in the tank?
Could be a vent issue. At one time Wranglers had a 15 gallon tank standard with an optional 20 gallon tank and they both used the same tank. The difference was the vent tube extended further into the 15 gallon tank, preventing any more than 15 gallons from being added. Point is, if the tank isn't venting properly, it may not be possible to reach full capacity.

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Another data point for anyone keeping track. My fuel light came on just as I was pulling into the gas station. Range remaining said 33 miles, current MPG (per the computer) was 17.4. The jeep took 16.5 gallons before the handle clicked off. I never fill beyond the first click off of the gas pump so I don’t overfill and gum up the evaporative control vent.

As an unrelated side note, I never let my cars run below 1/4 tank.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Could be a vent issue. At one time Wranglers had a 15 gallon tank standard with an optional 20 gallon tank and they both used the same tank. The difference was the vent tube extended further into the 15 gallon tank, preventing any more than 15 gallons from being added. Point is, if the tank isn't venting properly, it may not be possible to reach full capacity.
Different tanks on CJ-5 models I changed a few. May be the same on JK this is my first Fiat Jeep. My first was a 1955 M38A1 military surplus followed by new CJ-5 1975, new CJ-7 1977, a new CJ-5 1979 ( I still have) and finally a new JLR 2018.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Different tanks on CJ-5 models I changed a few. May be the same on JK this is my first Fiat Jeep. My first was a 1955 M38A1 military surplus followed by new CJ-5 1975, new CJ-7 1977, a new CJ-5 1979 ( I still have) and finally a new JLR 2018.
Fiat = Fourwheel It Again Tony

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I had my Jeep in this week and asked them to look at the tank. I explained I couldn’t put more than 17 gallons in once I hit empty. At first they said this was normal. As I questioned it more he said he would run it up the chain and see if they had a solution. I was guessing it was the tank or evap system. He called me back yesterday and said Jeep approved a new fuel pump..... don’t know how this will fix anything but I guess I’ll let them try.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I had my Jeep in this week and asked them to look at the tank. I explained I couldn’t put more than 17 gallons in once I hit empty. At first they said this was normal. As I questioned it more he said he would run it up the chain and see if they had a solution. I was guessing it was the tank or evap system. He called me back yesterday and said Jeep approved a new fuel pump..... don’t know how this will fix anything but I guess I’ll let them try.
Well I took the time to drive the Jeep to the dealer and left it there all day. I get a call in the afternoon saying they did nothing because the tank was acting normal. He read my tank meter and calculated the room left in the tank. Then he filled it up with 6 gallons and the meter was on point with the amount added. I explained my issue is the tank only holds 16.5-17.0 gallons. He said I was mistaken and closed the case. Told me I could stop by when I was on empty for a free fill up so he could prove that it’ll hold over 20 gallons when on empty (free fill up was nice of them). I drove there when my range went to low. Actually drove for 14 miles on low. I got there and turned the Jeep off to get the guy. When I started it back up my range was 19 miles. Very odd. We filled it up and he was only able to get 16.7 in the tank. He said he’d open the case back up. Hoping they can figure this out. Tired of filling up 100 miles sooner than I would normally need to.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E