Oil Change on first 1000 miles

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
I am not sure how I feel about it. Don't want to waste 5 quarts of good factory original oil. Is it really necessary to change oil on your first 1000 miles?

I just want to see what everyone's take is. My JL is at 1700 and I am debating whether to change it or not.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Ask 1000 people and you’ll probably get 1000 different opinions. Some would say you are wasting perfectly fine oil, which technically you are. The oil itself and its properties are fine. It’s the metal shavings from the manufacturing process you want to get out. I have always changed my oil at 1000 miles. Cheap insurance and it gives me a warm heart.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I get the warranty on my Jeeps and take it in when it tells me to, so the dealer has a record of everything. On my JK it went 12k miles, my JL came on at just under 8500, which I thought was odd but I feel that I am safe under warranty if I follow their direction.

Sponsored

KarlG

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 AEV 350 JK Rubicon 2019 JLUR
Ask 1000 people and you’ll probably get 1000 different opinions. Some would say you are wasting perfectly fine oil, which technically you are. The oil itself and its properties are fine. It’s the metal shavings from the manufacturing process you want to get out. I have always changed my oil at 1000 miles. Cheap insurance and it gives me a warm heart.
I agree with this rec. The manual's break in is the sketchiest I have seen. No recommendations on initial oil change{ "go by the sensor"). And don't get me started on the first 60 miles below 50 to 55 mph recommendation. So 1st gear high revs 45 mph on the first 1/2 mile is better than lower revs at 60 in 6th or 8th gear miles 10-50 ? Really? Screwiest break in recs I have seen.

I personally will change out the filter and Dino oil after @ 1000 miles and check the magnet in the oil drain plug. I'll put Syn in then.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I agree with this rec. The manual's break in is the sketchiest I have seen. No recommendations on initial oil change{ "go by the sensor"). And don't get me started on the first 60 miles below 50 to 55 mph recommendation. So 1st gear high revs 45 mph on the first 1/2 mile is better than lower revs at 60 in 6th or 8th gear miles 10-50 ? Really? Screwiest break in recs I have seen.

I personally will change out the filter and Dino oil after @ 1000 miles and check the magnet in the oil drain plug. I'll put Syn in then.
Where are you finding 0W20 Dino oil?

OP
OP

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
Thanks all! What @Litfuse said about metal shavings made sense and @BillG mentioned about the Jeep Wave program, makes me remember getting it in the mail and they do offer free oil change. I'll go make an appointment now.

Matic

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon. 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD, DC, Pretunner
Just use one of your freebie oil changes, and it will cost you nothing. I think it’s still four free changes through Jeep Wave.
I was going to inquire about free oil changes. I recieved 4 free oil changes when I bought my 392 Challenger back in 2016.

There was no mention of free oil changes when I purchased my JLUR last month but after registering my xm radio thru mopar.com, it's showing 4 free oil changes and 4 tire rotations.

So, that's legit, correct?

Screenshot_20190201-123752.png

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just change the filter at 1,000 miles. $9 bucks and 15 seconds of your time. Then start doing 7,000 mile oil and filter changes after that.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I used 2 freebies from jeep wave, 1 @ 1000, 2nd @5000, and will do 5000 intervals.

Dealer said I don't have to do oil change until 6500, really felt like saying STFU and just change the oil, but I didn't
once my freebies are used up I will do it in my garage, I buy a gallon of penz plat 0w20 whenever I see it on sale at walmart or auto parts store, amazon is good too if you have prime, filters as well, buy them in bulk

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I was going to inquire about free oil changes. I recieved 4 free oil changes when I bought my 392 Challenger back in 2016.

There was no mention of free oil changes when I purchased my JLUR last month but after registering my xm radio thru mopar.com, it's showing 4 free oil changes and 4 tire rotations.

So, that's legit, correct?

Screenshot_20190201-123752.png
Yes you get the four from Jeep Wave. Some people have negotiated getting more from their dealer, but every new wrangler gets the four.

Matic

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon. 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD, DC, Pretunner
Yes you get the four from Jeep Wave. Some people have negotiated getting more from their dealer, but every new wrangler gets the four.
Right on.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Since I do my oil changes, I asked if they would give me my four free filters. They told me no, that is was a liability. The service advisor asked me why I don’t have them do the oil change. I asked him how many quarts does my JLR take? He told me six. I told him that he seems to be more of a liability than me. I got a dirty look than four free filters with that comment.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don't care where 0W20 is found because once my Jeep Wave freebies are used up, mine will never see a 0W20 "oil" again. Also keep in mind that the 3.6L was designed on 5W30 and the Wrangler spec'd 5W30 up until the more stringent CAFE rules kicked in. There were no changes to the engine when that happened.

Excerpt from the famous Bob Is The Oil Guy forum:

"Based on our experience 99.8% of motorists have absolutely no idea what the SAE numbers on motor oil labels really mean. They assume that the simple recommendations in their vehicle owners manual are cast in concrete, and that the SAE viscosity of recommended motor oil can not be changed under any circumstances.
The fact that it is quite appropriate to either increase or decrease the manufacturer's recommended
motor oil viscosity, if it is appropriate for your particular operating conditions and desired engine life.

Here are some real time, as well as laboratory tested, ultimate and unchangeable truths:
The ideal oil viscosity for motor oil used in conventional piston engine operating at the "normal" engine operating temperature is equivalent to SAE 30. (In range of 9 cP to 12 cP @ 100C);
If you use thinner oil (SAE 20 or less), under normal operating conditions there will be less resistance to motion due to the lower viscosity, resulting in better fuel economy. However, this gain in fuel economy does not occur without costs:
Increase in oil consumption due to lower viscosity (can be offset by better seals);
Increase in oil consumption due to higher volatility (can be offset by using synthetic oil);
Decrease in engine service life due to increased boundary wear under some operating conditions
(this will cost more per mile driven or per engine operating hour);"

The use of 20 weight oils (and 16 weight oils coming soon) is purely a fuel economy play by the auto makers to save themselves penalties during the EPA testing cycle. After warranty has expired the vehicle is all yours and they don't care what happens to it any longer.
Sponsored

Last edited: