2019 Sahara - 4H Auto v Part Time in Snow

mj10singer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
New Wrangler owner.
2019 Sahara with Select Track and Anti Spin Rear diff
Live in Chicago where snow is coming down daily. What’s the best option for snowy roads? 4H Auto or Part Time?
Part Time is a confusing description.
Worried that Auto won’t engage fast enough on a snowy/slippery road.
Sponsored

OP
OP

mj10singer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Imo, if the roads are snow covered completely, I would drive in 4 hi, if the roads are snowy some times and clear sometimes back and forth then I’d use 4 auto.
The 4H options are Auto or Part Time. If I read the manual correctly, Part Time is actually full time 4H? Concussing? I get Auto is rear wheel and engages front axel as needed. Is Part Time really full time high?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
New Wrangler owner.
Live in Chicago where snow is coming down daily. What’s the best option for snowy roads? 4H Auto or Part Time?
I've been driving on various levels of snow covered roads in Iowa for the last week or two, full-time auto 4WD works great in my opinion. No need to shift, just drive.

hai5rockin

First Name
Hai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Patriot, MOAB 19
I've been driving on various levels of snow covered roads in Iowa for the last week or two, full-time auto 4WD works great in my opinion. No need to shift, just drive.
Likewise, It's been hitting hard over here in des Moines.

Cheers from another MOAB to another MOAB!

Sponsored

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
New Wrangler owner.
Put it 4H Auto and drive. If there are issues put it in 4H Part Time. I highly doubt there will be issues with auto however.

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
i run 4 Auto almost all the time here in Vermont.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
If you have 4 auto, use it on the road when conditions warrant it. Use 4 hi or 4 lo off road. If you don't have 4 auto, 4 hi is OK but you need to remember to disengage when pavement is clear.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mj10singer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I was more confused by 4H Partime. Maybe it’s just that Partime is actually 4H full time in the new Sahara.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The xfer case will work instantly for 4H Auto if it's like my GMC. I've used 4H Auto in my truck in snow, rain, and dirt roads/trails extensively. It works.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I was more confused by 4H Partime. Maybe it’s just that Partime is actually 4H full time in the new Sahara.
They are different.

4H Full time (4H Auto) can be used on any surface conditions, dry or slippery.
4H Part time should only be used on slippery surfaces.

4H Full time should work in most normal snowy conditions. If it gets too deep or slippery and you run into issues, move it to 4H Part time. Move it back to 4H full time if you get to a normal non-slick surface.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
4 wheel drive jeep has always been part time. That just means that you are not in 4 wheel drive all of the time. Only when you engage it -whether it be high or low. 4 wheel drive auto is just an option available in the Sahara. Its called selec-trac. It is similar to part time AWD - you can choose to engage it.

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
4H auto...it works kind of like the 4wd you'll get on most 4x4 SUVs (eg BMW X5). It fine, works well in most conditions and can be left on all the time. It uses a bit more fuel than 2wd buy not much more. I live in a ski resort and 98% of the time it deals with snow covered roads easily and without drama.

4H part time locks the centre diff and will cause more wear and tear on transmission if it's not on a slippery surface. There is one steep snow covered road where I use it for a short distance because it will give a bit more grip and traction, but really it's not necessary unless the 4H auto really isn't coping with a specific situation.
Sponsored