Goodyear Wrangler AT vs BF KO2

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
I own a 2 door Sport S have the upgrade that includes the All Terrain (vs All Season) Goodyear Wrangler tires. I've been thinking about upgrading to Rubi take off wheels and BFGoodrich KO2 tires. This weekend I'm taking the Jeep up to the Sierra's and there is supposed to be a pretty good storm. If I change out the wheels and tires, will they be significantly better in the snow? I'm a bit worried about the weight of the 2 door on mountain roads. I know chains will help but would prefer to buy the new wheels and tires, if they are significantly better, then buy chains for the new ones. Thoughts?
Sponsored

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
i dont think they would make that big of a difference. at least not enough to justify the cost

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
According to the manual, you can't use chains with either the stock Sahara or Rubicon tire sizes. Some mountain passes can require you to either use chains, or at minimum have them if you have AWD/4WD.

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Chains and products like z-chains are two different things. Z-chains which I imagine are entirely acceptable to use on Jeeps would enhance traction dramatically, especially if you had to get up some terrible tahoe driveway that was covered in snow and ice.

But even in the worst snow storm in tahoe, all terrain tires should do the trick just drive slowly.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Where do you plan on going, in the SIERRAS ??

JIMBO

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Bfg tKo2 is loads better than Goodyear wrangler AT which is lightyears better than bridge stone AT

Been running bfg for 20 years on my tj and had the Bridgestone at on 18 jlu sport and have Goodyear AT on my 19 jlu sport s

OP
OP
SF Pacer

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
Chains and products like z-chains are two different things. Z-chains which I imagine are entirely acceptable to use on Jeeps would enhance traction dramatically, especially if you had to get up some terrible tahoe driveway that was covered in snow and ice.

But even in the worst snow storm in tahoe, all terrain tires should do the trick just drive slowly.
I hear you on the go slow. Because the 2 door is so light I’m really just worried about getting up and over a fairly steep grade, highway 267, without the backend sliding out.

OP
OP
SF Pacer

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
Bfg tKo2 is loads better than Goodyear wrangler AT which is lightyears better than bridge stone AT

Been running bfg for 20 years on my tj and had the Bridgestone at on 18 jlu sport and have Goodyear AT on my 19 jlu sport s
Would “loads better” warrant $1200 for KO2 takeoffs. Mainly worried about a couple of steep grades I need to navigate on the way to ski.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
As Capt Zoom says, the, K02's are better than the Goodyear wrangler, but-

If you do a lotta highway travel, the GY Wranglers are a great ALL AROUND TIRE and are pretty quiet on the road--

I have the Wranglers on my RAM and they are REMARKABLE IN THE SNOW-

SUNP0105_zpsjga54nwm.jpg

Pick and choose !

JIMBO

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
To give you an idea. On my way to work there is a road with only a 5% incline that when covered by snow I need 4wd to go up with the Goodyears in my jlu without the rear sliding around . In my tj with the bfg I can take it in 2wd just fine and no sliding in the rear. Personally I'm going to use the goodyears till I add a lift. I consider the goodyears an slightly above avg tire. The bfg tko series is a phenomenal tire in snow and on ice. Quiet on highway and last 80k miles.
Sponsored