Cleaning/Protecting the JL

Civilian

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just got a new JL Rubicon and although I'm planning to get this off road shortly I'm still wondering what people are doing to keep the fenders, outside plastic, inside interior etc clean? Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Actually any good wax on metal, on plastic I like 303 protectant.

Rubicon@2019

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I've been using eagle one nano spray wax on the fenders and bumper. Has uv protection and helps keep them black and water beeds off good. It dries clear and no residue

OP
OP
Civilian

Civilian

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been using eagle one nano spray wax on the fenders and bumper. Has uv protection and helps keep them black and water beeds off good. It dries clear and no residue
This is just what I was looking for, thanks.

Sponsored

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
I took advantage of the ceramic coating at the dealership for the paint. The fender ship sailed the first time I took my Jeep on a gravel road. The back fenders now look perfectly "worn in" :)

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I use chemical guys leather conditioner for the leather. Looks, feels and smells good. I made a thread asking about what to use for leather interior and alot of ppl said good things about chemical guys products

OP
OP
Civilian

Civilian

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use chemical guys leather conditioner for the leather. Looks, feels and smells good. I made a thread asking about what to use for leather interior and alot of ppl said good things about chemical guys products
Sweet! Just ordered some. Looks like our rides look alike.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
As someone who gets paid to detail cars as a side job these are my thoughts. I'm not a pro but I'm also not tied to any company anf selling their products and I've used a wide variety of products.

A good wax or sealant and a clay bar once or twice a year will be more than enough and what most people likely do. A synthetic claybar is a good option a d some quality microfiber towels. Theragcompany throws up some good deals and has great towels. I also use the ones from Costco for various things. A good wheel cleaner and a brush to agitate it that you just use for wheels and tires. I use a drying aid when I dry like meg's last touch or ultimate quick detailer are usually available locally.

For those that want a coating the benefits are high gloss and most are self cleaning and more resistant to picking up dirt, some are much better at this than others. Coatings range from barely better than a good sealant up to pretty outstanding at keeping the car looking good. Don't just blindly buy a coating without knowing what your getting and dont expect a coating to protect no matter what bs they sell you. Their hardness scales are just marketing for the most part. The prep for a coating is where the money is at and usually what will have the most effect on results.

For the love of God dont let the dealership touch it. A local dealership tried to hire me for some of their work and I inquired about their pay out of curiosity. I can tell you nobody who knows what they're doing will do the kind of work a detailer would for what they pay, needless to say I said no thank you.

From what I've seen it's usually kids with a rotary going fast and doing as many as they can get done in a day. At least around here they're asking detailer pricing for poor production detailing and your usually not getting what you paid for.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I would also suggest Fluid film or Amsoil’s heavy duty metal protector on the frame and axles (not on brakes or fuel lines). It will make cleaning mud and salt off much easier.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Y'all are killing it. :like:

I'm a cheap SOB, so I just use a giant condom for protection. :muscle:

OP
OP
Civilian

Civilian

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha, I'm gonna end up buying a couple hundred bucks worth, you guys are awesome with all the suggestions.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
There is a video on you tube that recommends buying rubber strips that go between the fender and body panel where debris collects and scratches the hell out of the area.
The rubber prevents stuff from collecting in that area.
Sponsored