Sponsored

People's opinion on the Sunrider Bestop?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What do people who own the Sunrider Bestop think of it? I was thinking about getting one. I have the Billet Silver top on my Moab.
Noisy as hell, both in terms of wind noise at the top of the windshield and also creaking/popping/scary movie type noises from the rear framework in cold weather. Installation also kind of sucks, and you have to be careful not to break the "Z-clips" or the associated tiny cables they're attached to as some members here have done.

However, in warm weather it is AWESOME being able to throw it open in literally 10 seconds. SO much better than the freedom panels.

Overall I feel that it's a wonderful product that is simply over-priced.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Wait, which top are you talking about?

Sunrider for Hardtop
Trektop NX
OE soft top

All 3 have the "Sunrider" feature. I'm confused now.

jeffrey4x4

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLSTC
I LOVE my Sunrider for JL! So far no leaks, no additional noise and it is not colder in winter. EZ to operate. BesTop sent a top to me that was manufactured incorrectly. I sent them pictures and they sent another top and told me to keep the old one. Great customer service!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Sunrider for hardtop is great. A little wind noise at higher speeds, but no leaks. Really like mine.

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Yeah.. but what about when you want to take the whole top off the Jeep. How easy is it to remove this Bestop Sunrider?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@joecitrix97

If you are asking in regard to the Bestop Sunrider for JL, then yes, you will experience increased cabin noise with the top closed and of course, when it is open.

No, the Infotainment extra's will be of no help in dampening the cabin noise.

Can tell you at 65 mph and higher, the cabin noise increases dramatically, especially when driving into a head wind. Below 65 mph and not driving into a head wind then cabin with SR, closed. is much quieter but not as quiet as when you have the Freedom Panels on.

Can tell you having the Sunrider and enjoying what it offers positively, is well worth dealing with the increased noise levels. SURE, I wish the noise level was lower with the SR closed but..........

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Hi Bill. This noise problem I keep hearing about … is it with the Sunrider open? Or am I going to notice a noise difference with the Sunrider closed? I have the Infotainment system with the upgraded sound windshield. Is that going to help with the noise ?
At higher speeds, say 60 mph plus, it sounds like you have a window not quite fully closed. This is with the sunrider closed. I don’t have any water leaks, and don’t really feel a draft.
It’s probably enough it would annoy some people, but it doesn’t bother me. That might just be because I’m used to wearing half helmets on motorcycles.
I’m not saying it sounds like you have a window cracked, more like if you had windows up and accidentally bumped the down switch somehow so it was still closed , but not quite as much as it could be....if that makes sense. Seems to come from passenger side windshield corner.
Definitely louder wind than my freedom panels, but worth it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah.. but what about when you want to take the whole top off the Jeep. How easy is it to remove this Bestop Sunrider?
@Chomper

Takes less the 10 min to remove the installed Bestop Sunrider. Six small torx head bolts to remove .. anyway, quick to uninstall the SR.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey there!

Sorry to hear about the noises you are hearing, have you called our customer service team to troubleshoot this? It should not be happening. 1-800-845-3567.

CassieAtBestop

Noisy as hell, both in terms of wind noise at the top of the windshield and also creaking/popping/scary movie type noises from the rear framework in cold weather. Installation also kind of sucks, and you have to be careful not to break the "Z-clips" or the associated tiny cables they're attached to as some members here have done.

However, in warm weather it is AWESOME being able to throw it open in literally 10 seconds. SO much better than the freedom panels.

Overall I feel that it's a wonderful product that is simply over-priced.

Sponsored

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
The key to install is after you remove the Freedom panels, clean all weather strips with warm soapy water then wipe clean.

After install stand on your front bumper and make sure the top is even with the windshield top closed and no gaps.

if you notice a gap, then you can adjust the bolts that lock down the Sun rider clamps to make it even.

Both mine installed with zero gaps and no leaks or higher wind noise than my freedom panels.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jrohan07

My guess is you have very little usage of the SR at speeds over 65 mph or at say 60, 65 going into a head wind.

There is no way, you have no increased wind noise/cabin noise with the closed SR versus the factory Freedom Panels.

I have driven, over 4,000 miles at over 65 mph with the SR installed.....

You can adjust the foot loops that the SR clamps hook grasp onto all you want..... you can have the best adjustment possible you still have more cabin noise then with the Freedom Panels.

I'm not the only one that has mentioned this. YES, you might alleviate some of the noise with adjusting the JL's foot loop(s) but .....

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
I do drive 70 at times on both Jeeps with the sunrider installed closed and still barely notice any wind noise. I drove my friends JL and the sunrider was installed by a dealer and had the wind noise which was very noticeable. We took it off and reinstalled it and now he has very little wind noise.

I put my Twill OEM soft on went for a 70 MPH drive and noticed much more wind and road noise than I do with my sunrider installed.
I guess results will vary but I certainly like it with my hardtop and will continue to use it year round.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jrohan07 For sure the Bestop Sunrider is a terrific offering!

Dealing with more wind noise, is little pay so to speak, for what the Sunrider for JL brings to the table. My SR will remain on year round.... geeeez, I enjoy it.

I have the Twill...

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Just received and installed the twill version last night. Easily the best upgrade I have done (or ever will do). Having done the freedom panel removal / storage bit numerous times during normal commute and while vacationing the real PITA factor is figuring out where to put them when loaded with vacation gear, dogs, portable kennel, et all. If you're not loaded down it's still a 5 minute process that gets cumbersome. It's only been on 12 hours and I don't think I'll ever have put the freedom panels on again.

Initial impressions. Installation super simple if you've watched the Lite Brite removal/reinstall video, I didn't have to spend too much time sorting through the instructions and their walk through greatly expedited the process. Now that it's on... Yes, it's a little louder than the freedom panels, but not obtrusively so. At 75 there is so much ambient noise that it's just not that noticeable. It does transmit outside heat/cold more than the panels but that was expected... nothing the HVAC can't handle. Haven't tested in the rain but with flash flood warnings in effect this weekend I'll be sure to do some driving around. It's always fun to drive through the flooded lanes that everyone else is avoiding :LOL:.

IMHO it's the best of both worlds between the hard and soft tops!

IMG_1044e.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: