Sponsored

Anyone going to install Mopar Performance Rock Rails on their Rubicon?

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
How do you think the D6's will protect the sides from rocks on the sides? Because of the taper from the front wheels going back, it looks like it will still let a lot get by and possibly still hit the hinges/doors...
Sponsored

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
Hi JD - what do you mean by "don't see the point since they both bolt onto body"?

Don't many effective/hardcore sliders still just bolt on around the pinch seam?

Looking for the mix of true slider protection, and a bit of a step. (the premium mopar rail was actually enough, but based on those pics from Tal, looks like they fall way short of true slider protection)
You're probably right, I don't have experience with which sliders work and which don't. I was making assumptions based on the criticism I received about my step sliders choice, in which people were repeatedly telling me a slider must attach to the frame to be able to support the full weight of the vehicle. Again, I don't know this to be true, people say all kinds of things.

I like GoRhinos (without the drop steps), they've been banged and beat up pretty bad but still look structurally sound. I haven't abused them to the level of Goss though... his looks like he drove over an IED, heheh.

The Iron Cross step sliders also look like a potentially good slider with a bit of a step (see front page).

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
How do you think the D6's will protect the sides from rocks on the sides? Because of the taper from the front wheels going back, it looks like it will still let a lot get by and possibly still hit the hinges/doors...
Compared to a day in the desert with the stock Rubicon sliders, and a day with the D6, I have far less dirt, gravel, rocks, sticks, etc to clean out of the interior than before. So even with the taper, I think the overall width of the step is blocking more.

tgoss

First Name
Tal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Jeep JLUR
Wow @tgoss that's terrible.

I took mine off road and they supported the weight of the vehicle without issue and didn't noticeably flex. I have similar (but smaller) cuts/gouges in the lining on bottom of the rail on mine as well. Not overly excited about that, but it's mostly cosmetic.

My only issue I've had so far with parts flexing into the body is the steel rear bumper. That thing moved so much it left marks in the paint and ended up breaking the wiring to the rear backup sensors.

Thanks for sharing and helping people make informed decisions.

What did you end up replacing them with?
Yeah I have the same problem with the rear steel bumper as well. Both rear quarters are pretty mashed in already.

I'll be putting on either Genright or Evo Mfg rock sliders on, just haven't decided which one looks cleaner. I know they will both be frame mounted and stout so that's a non issue I just have a hard time with how particular I want things to look. Unfortunately now as much as I wanted to keep a "stock-ish" appearing JL it seems it's going to have to sport some aftermarket parts just to save the body from getting demolished completely. :(

Sponsored

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yeah I have the same problem with the rear steel bumper as well. Both rear quarters are pretty mashed in already.

I'll be putting on either Genright or Evo Mfg rock sliders on, just haven't decided which one looks cleaner. I know they will both be frame mounted and stout so that's a non issue I just have a hard time with how particular I want things to look. Unfortunately now as much as I wanted to keep a "stock-ish" appearing JL it seems it's going to have to sport some aftermarket parts just to save the body from getting demolished completely. :(
These Genrights are awesome!

https://genright.com/products/jeep-jl-2018-4-door-step-rocker-guards-steel.html

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
I highly agree. Would just do them in a fine textured black instead of that gloss but those look pretty solid.
I think they're superior to my GoRhino's in that they bolt or weld onto the frame. Mine bolt onto the same holes in the body that the stock Rubicon rails go. I also like that little metal flap that hides the pinch seam from the outside.

The only thing that concerns me can be seen in the photo below - The bracket and bolt on the bottom of the frame rail looks like it could grind and snag a rock surface. The thing I like about the GoRhino is that it's completely smooth on the bottom due to the way they bold on sideways.

RCG-10104-web__76993.1530639946.1280.1280.jpg

Sibling Rivalry

First Name
Sudin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, 2018 JL 2 Door, 1992 Toyota Corolla
Does anyone know how much the performance rock rails weigh (searched the web/forum and not able to find this info)? I am debating between these and the ACE sliders.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
just installed a set of the performance rock rails, I like them a lot. Its not a wide step maybe 4 inches, but thats what I wanted and doest stick-out to far that you hit your leg if you don't use them getting out of the vehicle.

it was a hard decision choosing between 4 different types I liked. I went to the York PA Jeep rally and got to touch and kick a few and see how well them were made. I wanted more than just a powder coat finish, and the performance rails are really heavy duty and have zinc coated for superior corrosion resistance, e-coated and then sprayed a Black PPG Durabull® extreme duty bed liner coating providing superior protection and durability." Some of the others you had to pay extra for the bed liner treatment. So I'm thinking these will hold up better in the long run and I like the stock appearance...

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I just installed the Mopar Performance Rock Rails today. I love them, they are going to provide a ton of protection for rock chips etc. I love the bedline style step portion for grip and overall they are very well made. I won't be seeing a lot of rock climbing, so for all other offroad conditions they'll be just fine. Glad I chose them. I can snap some pics on my Ocean Blue.

Jeepin2019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Reviving this thread with a question for those who installed these steps.

I have a JLUR with the stock Rock rails. I also ordered the Mopar Performance Rails since I like the width. Did anyone have problems switching these out on their own without risking breaking a body bolt? I read that many people done this switching out various steps.

Just trying to decide if I should do this on my own or take it to a Jeep dealership service dept. I’m awaiting a labor price quote.

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Reviving this thread with a question for those who installed these steps.

I have a JLUR with the stock Rock rails. I also ordered the Mopar Performance Rails since I like the width. Did anyone have problems switching these out on their own without risking breaking a body bolt? I read that many people done this switching out various steps.

Just trying to decide if I should do this on my own or take it to a Jeep dealership service dept. I’m awaiting a labor price quote.
I don't think either of the factory rock rails attach at the body bolts that have been troublesome for some. They attach at the pinch weld.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I don't think either of the factory rock rails attach at the body bolts that have been troublesome for some. They attach at the pinch weld.
When he says body bolts, I think he meant the pinch seam bolts. The other bolts are the frame bolts that can be used for mounting sliders/steps.

But to answer the question, my stock Rubi rails came off with not a single problem and the enhanced Mopars went on just as easy. 1/2 hour installation for both sides, easy as pie.