owltown

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2L turbo
Vehicle Showcase
here is an interesting alternative using rough county LED bracket ($20) for two. All i did was increase the mounting hole frm 3/8th to 1/2 inch. The other side will be for a 10 meter antenna.

IMG_6467.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG

IMG_8655.JPG
Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
@safety_glasses - I never showed you my final install. You already saw the antenna install. Here is the rest.
IMG_2191.jpg

I like the head unit where I can see it without taking my eyes off the road.

IMG_2192.jpg
I put the mic where I could grab it and put it back without looking.

I have 2 speakers that are under the back seat for right now. I want to mount a couple speakers in the sound bar but for now the ones in the back is fine.

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@safety_glasses - I never showed you my final install. You already saw the antenna install. Here is the rest.
IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

I have 2 speakers that are under the back seat for right now. I want to mount a couple speakers in the sound bar but for now the ones in the back is fine.

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg
Thanks for coming back brother, that just gave me a spot to finally install my mic. Nice radio, by the way ;). Congrats on the clean install, enjoy.

jeep31

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
here is an interesting alternative using rough county LED bracket ($20) for two.
Where did you find these brackets? I looked at the Rough Country website and elsewhere and couldn't find. I found as part of a kit with lights for $99

owltown

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2L turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you find these brackets? I looked at the Rough Country website and elsewhere and couldn't find. I found as part of a kit with lights for $99
I had to call them and order them on the phone.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg
How did you mount the face plate and run the cable behind head unit?

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
How did you mount the face plate and run the cable behind head unit?
@Martindfletcher, you're gonna make me go out and look to remember how I ran the cable. I put a magnet on the face plate cradle and it sticks to a piece of metal and stays very well, even off roading.

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
here is an interesting alternative using rough county LED bracket ($20) for two. All i did was increase the mounting hole frm 3/8th to 1/2 inch. The other side will be for a 10 meter antenna.

IMG_6467.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG

IMG_8655.JPG
I would be hesitant with a transmit antenna that close to the radio antenna.

William Hays

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 1985 CJ7
Occupation
Retired
The first pic shows the bracket for the bottom of the soft top window. One torx head bolt holding it on, I pulled the rubber for the tailgate out of the way and pulled that plastic covering away from the body and you can see a hole with a piece of clear tape over it. I pulled it off and used my bent coat hanger in the window to catch the coax as I pushed it thru the hole I drilled in the body (yeah that hurt but had to be done). Sorry the last pic is blurry. I didn't notice that until I had them on the computer (as opposed to phone) but you can see what I'm talking about.

This mount will work well with my soft top but I don't know about a hard top. It might prevent the top from opening.

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2122.JPG
Looking to do something similar when my new Rubicon arrives. Wanting to stay away from the grounding issues associated with a tail gate mount. Is the body panel doubled walled where you mounted your bracket? (AE4QL)

William Hays

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 1985 CJ7
Occupation
Retired

IMG_6467.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG

IMG_8655.JPG
Do you get any engine or cpu noise with a front mount antenna? (AE4QL)

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Looking to do something similar when my new Rubicon arrives. Wanting to stay away from the grounding issues associated with a tail gate mount. Is the body panel doubled walled where you mounted your bracket? (AE4QL)
@William Hays It is single walled, with plastic molded panels on the inside. I didn't find it to be a problem.

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
I have a Kenwood TM-D710GA I am having a hard time trying to figure out where to mount. Is the tray large enough to hold it? Any others using this unit have ideas?

I don't have my Jeep yet (hopefully in a couple of weeks).

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
I have a Kenwood TM-D710GA I am having a hard time trying to figure out where to mount. Is the tray large enough to hold it? Any others using this unit have ideas?

I don't have my Jeep yet (hopefully in a couple of weeks).
So, I purchased the [Banned Site] CB Radio Bar. It's pricey, but really works well for my needs. I then tore up my A-pillar area and wired the AUX1 switch to the radios (A D71 and a Midland MXT400 GMRS) - note that you will have to suss things out your own way for power if you don't have the factory AUX switched installed.. I also fabricated my own hood mounts for the antennas, since nobody sells them (to my knowledge - maybe I should? :) ). Everything works great, although the D71 head unit its just a tad too close to my old eyes. I will likely fab a different mount later that moves it to the other side of the bar.

PS - I pulled the RG58 through just under the front windshield. It's tight, but I think it will get less noise than running it through the firewall holes.

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
So, I purchased the [Banned Site] CB Radio Bar. It's pricey, but really works well for my needs. I then tore up my A-pillar area and wired the AUX1 switch to the radios (A D71 and a Midland MXT400 GMRS) - note that you will have to suss things out your own way for power if you don't have the factory AUX switched installed.. I also fabricated my own hood mounts for the antennas, since nobody sells them (to my knowledge - maybe I should? :) ). Everything works great, although the D71 head unit its just a tad too close to my old eyes. I will likely fab a different mount later that moves it to the other side of the bar.

PS - I pulled the RG58 through just under the front windshield. It's tight, but I think it will get less noise than running it through the firewall holes.

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

That looks good
Sponsored