4WD Low Observations

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
So just for the hell of it I brought the Jeep to the boat ramp where it's essentially a large dirt lot. It's a new vehicle and I didn't want to discover an issue with the 4WD system when I wanted/needed it. I put it in 4WD high and drove a few laps - nothing out of the ordinary. When I put it in 4WD low I received a message "Auto Park Disabled" and traction control automatically switched off by itself. None of that really bothered me - but what I noticed was a continuous noise that seemed to come from the driver's footwell area. It's hard to describe other than an "ABS-like" sound. I couldn't have been going more than 10mph, most of which was straight and level in the dirt and wasn't romping on it, so I can't imagine why the ABS system would have been active.

Nothing jumped out at me by doing a search. Anyone know what that's about?
Sponsored

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what that noise could've been. Are you able to recreate the noise every time it's in 4LO or only sometimes?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have the hill descent control on? That's the only time I've noticed the noise you're describing.

OP
OP
JoeBelt

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bigger question is how this thread isn't getting any attention, but "Did you run out of gas yet" is on fire! I'm going to rename the thread "Did you run out of gas yet...in 4L?" to see if I can get a few bites.

I haven't spent any time trying to figure it out and I live at the beach so not much of a reason or opportunity to engage 4WD - it was more of a test to see if it functioned being a new vehicle. The next time I go out I'll see if it does it again - basically a sporadic rapid clicking sound that only occurred in 4L. No HDC enabled as far as I know.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
The bigger question is how this thread isn't getting any attention, but "Did you run out of gas yet" is on fire! I'm going to rename the thread "Did you run out of gas yet...in 4L?" to see if I can get a few bites.

I haven't spent any time trying to figure it out and I live at the beach so not much of a reason or opportunity to engage 4WD - it was more of a test to see if it functioned being a new vehicle. The next time I go out I'll see if it does it again - basically a sporadic rapid clicking sound that only occurred in 4L. No HDC enabled as far as I know.
That doesn't sound normal at all. If it was a high pitched whine, then sure, as that is the sound of the gears and to be expected. But clicking doesn't sound right. I've never heard that from mine while in 4L.

Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is this your first 4wd vehicle with a solid front axle?

OP
OP
JoeBelt

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this your first 4wd vehicle with a solid front axle?
I had a 17 JKU that didn’t make noise. It sounds like the ABS is active - I’m just not sure why driving across a dirt parking lot.

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
The only noise mine makes in 4l is the horn occasionally honks while shifting from 1st to 2nd at high RPMs. It usually happens in a steep climb while trying to look over the hood. I think I’ve narrowed it down to my fat @ss slamming into the steering wheel.... but, I’m going to need a few more reps to get it figured out before having the dealership take a look.

Other than that no other unusual noises. Rubicon w/ manual. No hill descent. But, traction control automatically turns off. I would suspect auto park would as well?

Last edited:

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Most likely it was just binding up if you were turning while you were on a surface with too much traction, but like others have suggested, hearing it would actually help pinpoint the source.

This video might help explain that if you weren’t already aware.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
In my opinion and experience the dirt lot you describe that you were in while testing 4L was insufficient.

I’ve tested mine in several scenarios in mud and sand.

My observation is that 4L is only for the absolute toughest environments/terrain.

I basically in each type of terrain mud and sand went out and tried to get stuck. I was in VERY thick mud (on a trail) and very thick sand (on a beach) and while I did test 4L I did not need it. Thus the conclusion you only need it for the most extreme terrain/situations.

Back to the dirt lot you were on, you may have experienced slight binding or a number of other small things. But you should know now that 4L is for the tough stuff and will function properly in the right terrain.

You need to find some very thick stuff to truly test it. The owners manual and several videos explaining the functionality by Jeep (like the one above) will recommend not using 4L for easier off-road terrain.

4H will get you through most anything you’ll experience off-road in my observation. Pretty comforting knowing that as well! Love my Wrangler!

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So just for the hell of it I brought the Jeep to the boat ramp where it's essentially a large dirt lot. It's a new vehicle and I didn't want to discover an issue with the 4WD system when I wanted/needed it. I put it in 4WD high and drove a few laps - nothing out of the ordinary. When I put it in 4WD low I received a message "Auto Park Disabled" and traction control automatically switched off by itself. None of that really bothered me - but what I noticed was a continuous noise that seemed to come from the driver's footwell area. It's hard to describe other than an "ABS-like" sound. I couldn't have been going more than 10mph, most of which was straight and level in the dirt and wasn't romping on it, so I can't imagine why the ABS system would have been active.

Nothing jumped out at me by doing a search. Anyone know what that's about?
Could have been to much traction and possibly grinding - test it a more suitable environment for 4lo and see if you hear the same noise - if so I would get it checked out.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
You need slippage when your in 4wd or you will have binding. When your in 4 lo you need even more slippage. It will bind quickly and you will definitely hear it. Dry and even wet dirt roads don't really have a enough slippage. I have had about 20 or so jeeps over the years. Just my .02

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
you can test 4Hi and 4Lo on a paved lot as long as you keep the wheel straight (do not turn it, just go forward and backward in a perfectly straight line). i used both 4Hi and 4Lo in my Sahara last weekend (snow / ice over dirt / sand) and no clicking noises at all. also did straight line test in a paved lot before i bought it and no clicking.

OP
OP
JoeBelt

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“Mattius1337 said: ↑
I'm getting a similar click. JL sport s, 3 weeks in ownership, at 700km. While in 4 low( so slow speeds), i get a rapid clicking in my steering column sounds almost electrical in nature, yet at the same time these videos are making me think its this. It happens when i'm turning most often, but impacts to the suspension( coming down off a rock) or a rough trail exacerbate the frequency of it happening. 4 high no noise, 2wheel no noise. It really wigs me out, what if something dies while i am in the bush? Ill be taking mine in this next weekend, as they owe me a a detail.”

This... so I’m not the only one. So it’s possible the CV joints are not tightened to spec. I’ll do some more dirt lot laps and pay closer attention.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When picked up my new JLR last week I tested the 4L before accepting it. It was a tight lot with wet asphalt. It took some time to get it in and out. A little noise but more of trying to get the gears to mesh. Since then I've tried it on snow and ice a couple of times and no problems or noise. I agree with the others to do it only on loose/slippery surfaces at very low speed going straight. If noise then take it in. Video it so if it happens you can show it to the dealer.
Sponsored