Sponsored

One-Time Long Trailer Haul

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
We're about to move from southern California to Washington state and we'd like to use our 2018 hardtop Sahara Unlimited to pull a small U-Haul cargo trailer. I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I need to do to make sure it's up to the task.

It has the 3.6L and the factory towing package, so I know that it can pull say a 5'x8' cargo trailer; also, we're not planning to load it heavily, we just need to bring some delicate / expensive stuff with us that we don't want to trust to the movers.

But since this is my wife's Jeep, I really, really want to make sure I don't do anything dumb that hurts the vehicle in the long term. I've read advice in various forums about sway bars, suspension airbags, or transmission coolers; however, those forum posts were all about regular towing use. Do I need to worry about any of that for a single, but quite long, highway drive?

TIA,
Dan
Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
We're about to move from southern California to Washington state and we'd like to use our 2018 hardtop Sahara Unlimited to pull a small U-Haul cargo trailer. I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I need to do to make sure it's up to the task.

It has the 3.6L and the factory towing package, so I know that it can pull say a 5'x8' cargo trailer; also, we're not planning to load it heavily, we just need to bring some delicate / expensive stuff with us that we don't want to trust to the movers.

But since this is my wife's Jeep, I really, really want to make sure I don't do anything dumb that hurts the vehicle in the long term. I've read advice in various forums about sway bars, suspension airbags, or transmission coolers; however, those forum posts were all about regular towing use. Do I need to worry about any of that for a single, but quite long, highway drive?

TIA,
Dan
How much weight will you be carrying? Uhaul 4x8 enclosed trailer is 850# empty.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

TIA,
Dan
Based on what you wrote above, I dont see any issues what so ever.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Error on the side of loading more weight toward the front of the trailer. Ideally, around 10-12% of the overall weight should be on the ball. You can get into trouble (swaying) if you are too much under this figure. Take your time going up the Grapevine. Go at a speed where rpms are not more than 4000 - and just be patient. After the Grapevine, pretty much clear sailing and the Jeep should do fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks all for the informative replies. I would be very surprised if the trailer's contents exceeded 300 pounds, so I'll take the advice to load heavier items towards the front, keep my eye on the RPMs, and trust the Jeep to do its job.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
We used the JLUR to pull a 5x8 uhaul from West Texas to Denver for my son which includes Raton pass and Trinadad both over 7000 feet high with zero problems. Trailer was definitely loaded with more than 300#

HTH
Gregj

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@MarriedAnUnlimitedGirl

Load a trailer as in the pic below or expect problems, especially, on the interstates.
60-40 trailer.png

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
You’re fine don’t overthink it. I just pulled a 5X10 Uhaul from Texas to Florida with my recently departed 2017 JKU. It was loaded with furniture and tools. I didn’t even notice it behind me other than seeing 15 MPG.
Sponsored