Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok now that some of us have working off-road pages, I have a question.

How much is too much? If you were going to draw yellow and red lines on those gauges, where would they be?? I guess I was hoping that the ORP would just have a yellow and redline indicator on the gauge to give you an idea of when you are about to flip or flop your Jeep.

I was out and about and came upon on a rather steeply banked switchback and started to ride the smooth banked part .... once my roll gauge got to about 24 degrees, i was seriously thinking I was about to roll down a mountain. I'm a n00b and probably could have steered through it without a problem but the little mommy in my head made me back up and take an approach that minimized the roll.

I think the ideal situation would be dependent on how top heavy you currently are ... like if you have your lids removed and you're wearing heavy grippy shoes with no lift, then your max roll would be much higher.
Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I think there are several variables that go into determining what is "too much" of either with the biggest factors being where the center of gravity is, how much of a lift you have on the vehicle and the angle of the hill you want to go over. I don't think there is a perfect answer or a "one size fits all" answer to your question.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
LOL I knew someone would say that ... :cwl: ... obvious panda is obvious. :tumbleweed:
Ha ha, yeah, I can be a smart ass. Seriously, there are a lot of variables that go into a good flop. It’s not cut and dry. You learn by pushing your rig. But, after you have flopped once, the rest are easy.

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Terrain/suspension plays into it to. Are you at 24 degrees and all 4 tires are solidly planted on the ground? Or do you have your high side tire stuffed and your low side is floating in the air? Add a little speed/momentum into the equation and things get even more interesting.

OP
OP
nerp

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Terrain/suspension plays into it to. Are you at 24 degrees and all 4 tires are solidly planted on the ground? Or do you have your high side tire stuffed and your low side is floating in the air? Add a little speed/momentum into the equation and things get even more interesting.
This is all so true. I guess giving me the gauge isn't a substitute for looking around at the environment. Only experience will make you feel comfortable with a particular pitch/roll combo ... but as W5MOS & UKCATS said, there are lots of variables. I'm looking forward to better offroad pages in my next Jeep that take some computed real-time center of gravity sensor data and appropriately warn the driver. :P

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Roll I start getting worried at 27. Not sure how much is, "too much" but that's when I start second guessing my choices lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nerp

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say there's a theoretical maximum of 90 degrees
Perhaps, but that's only theoretical and apparently due to the ground's atomic structure (specifically, multiple electron shells) and electromagnetic repulsion. Due to quantum mechanics and the tunneling effect, however, there is a small non-zero chance that at greater than 90 degrees, your Jeep will pass through the planet an into an interstitial void. In this case, your warranty and comprehensive insurance coverage no longer apply.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Perhaps, but that's only theoretical and apparently due to the ground's atomic structure (specifically, multiple electron shells) and electromagnetic repulsion. Due to quantum mechanics and the tunneling effect, however, there is a small non-zero chance that at greater than 90 degrees, your Jeep will pass through the planet an into an interstitial void. In this case, your warranty and comprehensive insurance coverage no longer apply.
But if two people on opposite sides of the earth each drop a slice of bread on the ground at the same time, the whole world becomes a sandwich.:idea:
Sponsored