LED Headlights and Wipers in snow?

Jltowhere

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku
So I remember my jku wipers being a pain in the snow and having to clear them from time to time. I know its the design etc etc. Is the jLU having the same issue? Curious if the lean has helped this.

Also, with the oem LED headlights, are they putting out enough heat to melt the snow? I'm not talking flurries, but more snow storms in the Rockies. Trying to decide if ordering the LED is the way to go or to go with the aftermarket heated lights which was the plan for the jku originally.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Heated sounds wise.

Artec

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Artecindustries.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 2020 JLUR 2019 JTR 2021 JTRD
So I remember my jku wipers being a pain in the snow and having to clear them from time to time. I know its the design etc etc. Is the jLU having the same issue? Curious if the lean has helped this.

Also, with the oem LED headlights, are they putting out enough heat to melt the snow? I'm not talking flurries, but more snow storms in the Rockies. Trying to decide if ordering the LED is the way to go or to go with the aftermarket heated lights which was the plan for the jku originally.
When we took delivery of our JLUR we drove it from Detroit to Utah in snow and rain storms The Led headlights are heated so the snow does melt off of them just fine

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
When we took delivery of our JLUR we drove it from Detroit to Utah in snow and rain storms The Led headlights are heated so the snow does melt off of them just fine
See....I KNEW IT! There is another thread regarding how bright they are that broke into a discussion about them not getting hot enough. My contention was that they DO get hot enough. Thanks for the confirmation!!

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
See....I KNEW IT! There is another thread regarding how bright they are that broke into a discussion about them not getting hot enough. My contention was that they DO get hot enough. Thanks for the confirmation!!
Curious. I read that other thread and it pushed me to plan to aftermarket. If they’re actually heated and it works well enough I might go OEM now. Good info.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Sounds like a good question for the ladies from Jeep Cares. Are the JL LED lights heated? I'll post it up and see what they say.

OP
OP

Jltowhere

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku
Thanks!

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a good question for the ladies from Jeep Cares. Are the JL LED lights heated? I'll post it up and see what they say.

I know first hand they heat up, and fast. I put my hand on the lens and it gets hot when the LEDs are on. I said that before on the other thread but I guess some guys are not believers. I must say, these LED headlights on the JL are bad to the bone. Worth every penny.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I don't think they are deliberately heated, but maybe the LED is close enough to the surface to heat it up sufficiently to melt ice and snow...I don't know.

Trucklite has lights with actual heating elements in the design.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...=15554&parent_category_rn=13089&storeId=10001

I was thinking of getting the Trucklites, originally, until I saw how beautiful the stock ones were. The Trucklites don't look nearly as good.

So I will go with stock and see how they do. If they give me problems then maybe I will switch them later.

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Drove it home for the first time yesterday. Dealer is 20 miles away. Touched the LED headlights and they were definitely warm to the touch.

Sponsored

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because my factory LED lights are definitely not heated nor do they generate enough heat to keep the snow from collecting... This was through Lassen during a snow storm last night and I had to stop like every 5 minutes to clear the lights because I couldn't see jack squat due to the collecting snow.

Snow collecting on the lights:
20190116_182113.jpg
20190116_182105.jpg

After scraping the snow out:
20190116_182137.jpg

Before and after, the pictures make it seem a lot more lit than it was. When I was moving, it was impossible to see more than maybe 6 feet in front of me. I also took these after making it past all of the snow and some of the collected snow had thinned out since it raining at this point, so it's much much more clear than what it was through the worst parts.
20190116_182033.jpg

20190116_182153.jpg

Has this been reported before, @JeepCares ?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because my factory LED lights are definitely not heated nor do they generate enough heat to keep the snow from collecting... This was through Lassen during a snow storm last night and I had to stop like every 5 minutes to clear the lights because I couldn't see jack squat due to the collecting snow.

Snow collecting on the lights:
20190116_182113.jpg
20190116_182105.jpg

After scraping the snow out:
20190116_182137.jpg

Before and after, the pictures make it seem a lot more lit than it was. When I was moving, it was impossible to see more than maybe 6 feet in front of me. I also took these after making it past all of the snow and some of the collected snow had thinned out since it raining at this point, so it's much much more clear than what it was through the worst parts.
20190116_182033.jpg

20190116_182153.jpg

Has this been reported before, @JeepCares ?
Why would anyone report this to Jeep Cares? Everyone knows LED lights don't generate enough heat to melt snow. Some high end LED lights have an option to get heating elements built into the glass/plastic. European light standards are more rigid. I know HID headlights on German cars had to have a wiper or washer nozzle to keep them clean.

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Why would anyone report this to Jeep Cares? Everyone knows LED lights don't generate enough heat to melt snow. Some high end LED lights have an option to get heating elements built into the glass/plastic. European light standards are more rigid. I know HID headlights on German cars had to have a wiper or washer nozzle to keep them clean.
Yep you're right. Didn't do my research. I guess some after market LED's I had before were heated so I assumed Jeep would have done the same with their OEM. And especially when I've read in this thread that people claimed the lights were heated.

And to add, no, not 'everybody' knows. Don't have to be an ass.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely looks like it is a safety issue if caught in a snow storm and not aware that the snow will not melt. I can see some sort of aftermarket opportunity here that might be able to solve this. If it's causing that much of an issue I am sure someone will be able to profit off of such a product.

I seen the aftermarket lights and they have what looked like a defroster type of element. Something like that with a clear lens that just goes over the stock light might do the job. Need to wire it in though and wouldn't want it on in the summer.

Maybe something like the RR headlight guards but a heated version.

I wonder how warm they would need to get for the worst of storms and would that heat mess up the outer lens.

RR_HL.png

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely looks like it is a safety issue if caught in a snow storm and not aware that the snow will not melt. I can see some sort of aftermarket opportunity here that might be able to solve this. If it's causing that much of an issue I am sure someone will be able to profit off of such a product.

I seen the aftermarket lights and they have what looked like a defroster type of element. Something like that with a clear lens that just goes over the stock light might do the job. Need to wire it in though and wouldn't want it on in the summer.

Maybe something like the RR headlight guards but a heated version.

I wonder how warm they would need to get for the worst of storms and would that heat mess up the outer lens.

RR_HL.png
Here are Truck-lite heated lights on Quadratec sale price $570, $140 more than the non- heated version. Not a good image but blow it up and you can see the wires.

215613-add2-lg-2x.jpg
Sponsored