Sponsored

SoCal by way of Vegas...

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
Picked up my Jeep yesterday 12/31, in time to kick-off the New Years. Everything went smooth at Jim Marsh. Family visiting for the holidays were getting antsy for a road-trip. Timing worked out well. So took a one-way car rental with drop-off at Budget, down the street from Jim Marsh. Drove out Saturday noon and got the Vegas out on Saturday night.

Sunday Morning drove to the dealership at the appointment time. Took the Jeep for a test drive, to check for the steering issue. It was'nt a good time to check for anything else, since the Jeep was a bit dirty. Seemed like it had sat outside in a light drizzle in some dusty area. Not sure if at the dealership or the transport. Did the Tread Lightly paperwork to get the "Control" number. They have like a public computer with a printer hookup. I had already worked with them on the financing numbers, so that paper-work was just awaiting my signature. During this time, they washed up the Jeep and filled up the tank.

I then did a walkthrough, using these links:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-delivery-checklist.3453/page-20#post-329364
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-delivery-checklist.3453/

Waited for a few minutes and then was ready to see the finance lady where I did most of the signing. She definitely did her job of trying to sell warranty, which I already had decided was not for me. Or I might have considered the service-package if given the heads-up that this was coming and had done some prior research, which I had'nt, so declined again. Everything else went smoothly. They allow upto $3500 on credit card.

Returned the rental car. There was a gas station right on the way to the rental return. All within a mile. Dealership sent a ride to pick me back up. I finished up my to-go lunch.

Arrival time at dealership - 10am. Departure time - 1PM.

On the way home it was easy to be in traffic until South Point, struggled to keep under 50mph after that, with traffic zooming by. But seemed like interesting stops were there, which I had rarely noticed before - Speed racing on the dry lake, some commercial racing track, wind-sail-wheeling on another dry lake, Primm, CA agri checkpoint, Ivanpah solar. Then I swung left on Nipton Rd and took to Kelso. Distracting enough and easy to drive at slower speeds, until I40W, then to Barstow, quick stop at Ontario airport to drop a family member off, by which time it hit 300miles. Then straight to OC. Luckily no traffic at all. Took a quick nap and back with friends and family, by 10PM for the New Years celebration.

Next project will be to get the CA DMV paperwork and title squared away. Also get used to knowing and driving the Jeep.

So far, from my experience, I will recommend Jim Marsh again.

The only annoyance was the wait from FCA. Factory order was in late Sept. FCA should have better communication on delays and estimates. Got built about 10 days past the estimated ship date (why? can communicate better here), then sat in KZ and shipping for the longest time it could sit. Can sit in KZ upto 2 weeks and shipping upto 30 days, before they will allow to escalate. I saw many Jeeps that hit D1 and KZ after mine arrive much earlier nationwide, including dealership quotas. Jim Marsh estimates were much better. They themselves posted updates once in a while. Jeep Chat - absolutely no good information. When will it go to the next stage - don't know. Where's my Jeep - don't know. When estimated to arrive - don't know. Which rail gate it is at - don't know. But hey, congrats on your order. And can you tell me your name, address, VIN, blah blah...

Jeep2019.jpg
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Congrats on that Red beauty! Glad it went well, looking forward to our trip out there, only 3 weeks away!

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
@jeep949shopper congrats and I’m glad all went well. What’s the Service Package? Seems like a Jeep thing, not a Marsh thing since you don’t live in Vegas.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
@jeep949shopper congrats and I’m glad all went well. What’s the Service Package? Seems like a Jeep thing, not a Marsh thing since you don’t live in Vegas.
I refused the Service Package because Jeep Wave offers 4 oil changes and tire rotations for free for any "Trail Rated" Jeep vehicle, whether it be Wrangler, Cherokee, GC or Renegade.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like Jim Marsh is busy busy with Wranglers being delivered. Mine being in F Status Paint now, I hope end of Jan or mid Feb. We had a great no hassle experience on XMas Eve buying our Grand Cherokee Altitude from Marsh with Antonio & Charleen there with no hassle. We purchased the maintenance package for 3yrs as it was only a few bucks and hassle free. Can't wait to pick up the JLUR! :rock:

Sponsored

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
@jeep949shopper thanks for the detailed write up! This will help so much on what to expect day of pick up when that day comes.
Your Red Rubi looks sick! So stoked for you. Sounds like a fantastic trip.

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
@jeep949shopper What’s the Service Package? Seems like a Jeep thing, not a Marsh thing since you don’t live in Vegas.
It is just not in my element to sign up on talk at dealerships, without prior research. So honestly, I wasnt even paying attention about the details on the service package. Seems like both @Capricorn and @RMojitoJL have good points. Perhaps drop a note to Jim Marsh asking for more info and share here, so others are more informed when they go in.

Btw, I was worried about windshield damage reading all the reports here. My insurance company educated me that the way to have that covered fully in CA, was to lower the deductible on the comprehensive portion alone. That did not cost any much more, so that's how I have that covered.

Good luck to all.

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
For those that purchased at Jim Marsh and already completed their CA DMV visit, did you really need the smog certificate at the DMV? Everywhere I read, I understand it is not needed for newly purchased vehicles. There is Smog abatement fee that is paid instead. See recent posting from this user as well: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/page-75#post-499189 . All the other posts, seem to be prelim conclusions on needing smog before the actual DMV visit.

So for those that went through the DMV experience, was Smog check really needed, for registering new vehicle bought at Jim Marsh?

@Kissell @Goin2drt @Rampart22 @travelboysteve, others? TIA.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
For those that purchased at Jim Marsh and already completed their CA DMV visit, did you really need the smog certificate at the DMV? Everywhere I read, I understand it is not needed for newly purchased vehicles. There is Smog abatement fee that is paid instead. See recent posting from this user as well: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/page-75#post-499189 . All the other posts, seem to be prelim conclusions on needing smog before the actual DMV visit.

So for those that went through the DMV experience, was Smog check really needed, for registering new vehicle bought at Jim Marsh?

@Kissell @Goin2drt @Rampart22 @travelboysteve, others? TIA.
Yes it is and you need to do it prior. People told me you didn't so I did not. After waiting 3 hours and the lady telling me I did she was nice enough to allow me to go across the street, get one done and come back to see her or else it is back to the end of the line.

I have posted this several times, YES YOU NEED A SMOG CHECK!!!

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
My smog guy said mine was the lowest mileage vehicle hed ever smog checked. And yes I needed one for CA DMV.

Interesting, he did not have to put a probe in the exhaust system as these new veicles have enough sensors. He just pugged into the vehicle computer system and it gave all the readings. Yes, I bought from Jim Marsh, stayed in Vegas three days, drove around some. Came back via palm springs. Love the Jeep!

Sponsored

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
Got the DMV work completed. They wanted me to drive the Jeep first to the inspections line. Once I got it inspected, only then they gave me a number (walkin). Sat around waiting for my number to be called. Paperwork was FedEx ed in this morning. The clerk said a mail should have been sent out from the DMV and I should have waited for the mail first. Nevertheless she looked for my packet and found it. Paid the fees, picked up my plates and out in about an hour. The actual wait time closely matched the DMV wait time listed on the internet.I
Regarding smog, two employees, the "start here" desk and also the inspections guy, mentioned it would be needed. However the clerk did not ask for it. I asked why and she said it was already showing as completed in the system. I did smog it before going in.

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Got the DMV work completed. They wanted me to drive the Jeep first to the inspections line. Once I got it inspected, only then they gave me a number (walkin). Sat around waiting for my number to be called. Paperwork was FedEx ed in this morning. The clerk said a mail should have been sent out from the DMV and I should have waited for the mail first. Nevertheless she looked for my packet and found it. Paid the fees, picked up my plates and out in about an hour. The actual wait time closely matched the DMV wait time listed on the internet.I
Regarding smog, two employees, the "start here" desk and also the inspections guy, mentioned it would be needed. However the clerk did not ask for it. I asked why and she said it was already showing as completed in the system. I did smog it before going in.
Thanks for the writeup! Good deal! Sounds easy enough. Makes sense about the smog. All smog shops upload their tests directly to the DMV so they have the data on if you have a vehicle that "passes" or not.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
I will add that you can look for DMV wait times online and plan accordingly. For some reason my favored DMV wait time is relatively short. Right now, for non-appt shows 16mins. The other two nearby are showing 1.5 hrs and 2 hrs. Don't ask me which one :)

Jim Marsh recommended to act promptly. Said DMV would not keep paperwork for too long. Did not mention how long is long. The NV temporary permit on the Jeep was checked by the CA DMV vehicle inspector. That is only for two weeks since the date I picked up the Jeep. When I realized I would be picking up the Jeep, the earliest appt was a month+ out. So walkin was the only option.

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
I will add that you can look for DMV wait times online and plan accordingly. For some reason my favored DMV wait time is relatively short. Right now, for non-appt shows 16mins. The other two nearby are showing 1.5 hrs and 2 hrs. Don't ask me which one :)

Jim Marsh recommended to act promptly. Said DMV would not keep paperwork for too long. Did not mention how long is long. The NV temporary permit on the Jeep was checked by the CA DMV vehicle inspector. That is only for two weeks since the date I picked up the Jeep. When I realized I would be picking up the Jeep, the earliest appt was a month+ out. So walkin was the only option.
I wouldn't trust those wait times,.....
Also, dealers have 30 days to submit paperwork to DMV.
Jim Marsh had not sent paperwork in on mine until over 10 days later.
DMV was accommodating though, I had my inspection, smog check, and paid the $4000+ in fees / reg.
Yep, welcome to Komifornia kids.
Now obey!!!!
Sponsored