Not open for further replies.

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Looks awesome Andy. Looking forward to getting out there with you guys eventually. Possibly September or October.

-Ei
Sponsored

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Thanks for sharing OP, great photos. The wife and I are looking to head out there in May, for our first trip to Moab.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Thanks for sharing OP, great photos. The wife and I are looking to head out there in May, for our first trip to Moab.
Let me know if you need any help. We've been 5 times.

Be sure to post pics of your trip!

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Thanks for sharing OP. Part of the reason I bought a JLUR was because I couldn't drive my '03 TJ to places like Utah or Colorado from Dallas to explore parts of the country I've never seen - and to do it off road. Love the pictures and looking forward to going to these same places.

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
1.jpg

These are. The LaSal mountain pass. I could get into the reasons why but it boils down to this mountain being the first time I've ever enjoyed just being in awe of some place.

2.jpg

!
What camera / window or dash mount did you use to take these photos over the hood? great shots and story thanks for sharing

Sponsored

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
What camera / window or dash mount did you use to take these photos over the hood? great shots and story thanks for sharing
I'll tell you if you promise not to throw massive amounts of BS at me for using my cell phone while driving. :stop:

It's my Samsung Galaxy S8. Just went through a software update and it added in some features to the camera. I use the voice to snap function when driving.

I was watching some off road videos yesterday and I'm going to update my on board video to the new Hero 7. The image stabilization with it is fantastic.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon

Andy, since you've been so many times. . . have you done any trails in the Needles district of Canyonlands? We're also hikers, so I have been looking at the Elephant Hill / Confluence (jeep) trail, as we plan to hike the Chesler Park loop. Both the Jeep trail and hiking trail start (more or less) at the same trailhead, so we would like to combine them. But. . . Jeep noob here, so I want to make sure we don't take on more than we can handle. Any experience on those Jeep trails?

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
I'll tell you if you promise not to throw massive amounts of BS at me for using my cell phone while driving. :stop:

It's my Samsung Galaxy S8. Just went through a software update and it added in some features to the camera. I use the voice to snap function when driving.

I was watching some off road videos yesterday and I'm going to update my on board video to the new Hero 7. The image stabilization with it is fantastic.
haha no worries!

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
jeepixel said:
Andy, since you've been so many times. . . have you done any trails in the Needles district of Canyonlands? We're also hikers, so I have been looking at the Elephant Hill / Confluence (jeep) trail, as we plan to hike the Chesler Park loop. Both the Jeep trail and hiking trail start (more or less) at the same trailhead, so we would like to combine them. But. . . Jeep noob here, so I want to make sure we don't take on more than we can handle. Any experience on those Jeep trails?
We ran Elephant Hill in May of 2018 in the JL. There was only 1 tricky spot that we had to scrape our way through. It wasn't sketchy. Just high center type of stuff. We ran all the way out to Joint Trail and walked back into the needles district. It was awesome.

We did the confluence over look. It is a great trail. I maybe used the lockers 3 times on the entire trail. And not because we had to. I'm cropping some pics to upload from that trip.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We ran Elephant Hill in May of 2018 in the JL. There was only 1 tricky spot that we had to scrape our way through. It wasn't sketchy. Just high center type of stuff. We ran all the way out to Joint Trail and walked back into the needles district. It was awesome.

We did the confluence over look. It is a great trail. I maybe used the lockers 3 times on the entire trail. And not because we had to. I'm cropping some pics to upload from that trip.
Andy, that is great to hear! We've done the awesome ±12 mile Chesler Park hike before and it's a favorite, which is why we'll do it again. Our thought was to drive to the Joint Trail junction, hike a shorter version of the loop, then go check out the Confluence trail and overlook. Then back to Moab, so cutting the hiking distance a bit will help on a very long day. I'll have a capable Jeep, but will need to learn quickly as we're going immediately after EJS. Among the many things to learn, is when to use the lockers LOL. Hopefully there will be others out there as we'll be solo. . . and taking slow and carefully. Looking forward to the pics!

Sponsored

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
On your way out there you can stop and check out the graffiti wall. Of course, they call it something else since it isn't "graffiti".

Newspaper rock.
GW1.jpg

Elephant Hill - Devils Pocket
7ElephantHill.jpg

Joint Trail
JT1.jpg

JT2.jpg

Somewhere out there we stacked rocks. Would be funny if you run across them.

Us.jpg

Confluence Overlook.

ConOV.jpg

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Do you have the Moab trail
Andy, that is great to hear! We've done the awesome ±12 mile Chesler Park hike before and it's a favorite, which is why we'll do it again. Our thought was to drive to the Joint Trail junction, hike a shorter version of the loop, then go check out the Confluence trail and overlook. Then back to Moab, so cutting the hiking distance a bit will help on a very long day. I'll have a capable Jeep, but will need to learn quickly as we're going immediately after EJS. Among the many things to learn, is when to use the lockers LOL. Hopefully there will be others out there as we'll be solo. . . and taking slow and carefully. Looking forward to the pics!

I don't use the lockers unless I "have to". When we went out to Elephant Hill we met a couple at the Elephant Hill obstacle who were mentally stuck. It is a couple of switch backs and there is a section where it is suggested that you back down. I said screw all that and went my own way. I walked them down. Once they got to the bottom I realized they were using their lockers at all times. They also never disconnected the sway bar in their Rubicon. So we went over some basics. There are some items in that trail that are somewhat nerve racking but nothing that I would feel danger from.

Do you have the Moab trails book? I just looked back through it. The section we had to scrape through was SOB Hill. Had to use the lockers to assist. It was worse coming back. If you have any lift or bigger tires at all I bet you won't even notice it.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the Moab trail

I don't use the lockers unless I "have to". When we went out to Elephant Hill we met a couple at the Elephant Hill obstacle who were mentally stuck. It is a couple of switch backs and there is a section where it is suggested that you back down. I said screw all that and went my own way. I walked them down. Once they got to the bottom I realized they were using their lockers at all times. They also never disconnected the sway bar in their Rubicon. So we went over some basics. There are some items in that trail that are somewhat nerve racking but nothing that I would feel danger from.

Do you have the Moab trails book? I just looked back through it. The section we had to scrape through was SOB Hill. Had to use the lockers to assist. It was worse coming back. If you have any lift or bigger tires at all I bet you won't even notice it.
Thank you for the pics, story and info, it's all good and very helpful. I'll get the Moab book and have started looking at trail reviews online, now I need to find a Jeep 101 for Noobs video series. No lift or bigger tires planned, but hopefully the stock Rubi treats me right if I take my time. Looking at Devil's Pocket slot you went thru, I am happy to see the JL and it's mirrors made it intact!

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I love that section of I-70. When we go from Ouray to Denver we go this way even tho its longer because the scenery is so good.

Looks like an awesome trip!

Sleblanc63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlUR 2.0L
Occupation
RV driver, wife annoyer and grand kid spoiler.

Be sure to post pics of your trip!
Dookey... thanks for the pics and the debrief. We just joined the jeep world. We RV around for fun and MOAB was our reason for getting the jeep. See pic of us boondocked north of Moab near some RR tracks on BLM 215 off of Hwy 191 with our previous towed car..
moabmini.jpg

Grand County Utah 38.682177, -109.698397 In case anyone's looking for a camp spot (except for the occasional hwy noise.. Think bull wagons with straight pipes)... and I did cross the tracks with the Mini.. It rattled when I sold it. Anyway, after that and another trip where we stayed at Rifle Falls state park in CO and ended up mudding in the Mini when we decided to go past the fish hatchery and "End of Paved Road" sign to see the rock climbing back country. Was freaking awesome. But we knew after a couple days chillin outside Moab we needed a Jeep.

Said all that to say this. We bought one. We really want to go play with the new Jeep.This time of year would Onion Creek, etc be doable for a novice? Or?? suggestions.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.