Lift. Am I getting screwed?

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
So i went down to 4 wheel parts today to scout out pricing on a lift for my JLUR. With the mopar lift (which I requested) , Toyo 35’s, programmer, spacers they quoted me around $6,000! And that’s with no wheels ordered.....using the stock rubi wheels. I talked them down to $5,200.....still crazy to me.

I have some questions:

1 - the mopar lift for the 2.0 I found on amazon for $1,200. They were wanting $1,689 for it. Pretty much I found every part they quoted me cheaper online. Is it better for me to just order everything and just pay for labor with them or the dealer? Good idea or do they hate customers like me?

2 - I’m wanting to use my stock Rubi wheels ....good idea? Will spacers hurt me in the long run?

3 - I really want the lift.....will I regret it? I owned a JKUR and I lifted it in the past....granted it was a cheap lift kit, the ride was terrible. I’ve pretty much never experienced a good lift. Now I’ve got the Rubicon of my dreams and I wanna do it right. Any words of encouragement? ;)

4 - any recommendations on wheel and tire?
Sponsored

Nickmimi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON diesel - Sarge
I paid $1825 for lift and installation at the dealership I ordered the Jeep. That way it was ready when I picked it up.
I paid $2700 for 5 Nitto ridge grapplers and black rhino wheels with install and road hazard warranty from discount tire.
I paid $300 for the JL tazer.

Your price sounds high to me.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
4 wheel parts:

Toyo Tires 35x12.50R17LT, Open Country M/T - 360310 - $363.92 x 5 = 1819.20

Jeep 2" Lift Kit with Fox Shocks - 77072396 - $1495.99

G2 5x5 Inch Bolt Pattern with 1.5 Inch Offset Wheel Spacers (Black) - 93-73-150 - $99.99 x 2 = $199.98

2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Superchips FlashCal F5 for Jeep Wrangler JL - 3571-JL - $249.95

$3765.52 before installation charges and taxes. $3,668.22 (-97.30) with 5% coupon that they give out just for visiting.

Shopping around can save you a bunch but so can installing the lift yourself. I'd have them break down the price for each item plus the install fees so you can get a better idea of what they are charging.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I bought and installed the full blown Metalcloak 3.5 Gamechanger w/ 6pak shocks, longer front driveshaft, 5 Black Mammoth Boulder wheels and 35" bfg KO2's and got a full blown check and alighment after I installed the lift for $6100.00. Had the dealer I bought it from put it in the lift checked everything and made notes that all was in good order for lifetime warranty to still be valid. Seems like that might be a lot high! Maybe he was high!

20181116_153740.jpg

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
I say yes and where I live there’s a lot better 4wd shops than 4wheel parts. I’ll say a lot of folks have to bring there rides to someone else after getting a lift put on from there to get it to drive right. Bolt on you should be fine I’m mainly referring to long arms ect. In my opinion way to high.

Sponsored

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
I have a long arm on mine with no directions and first one around my area done couple days of fab and bolt on labor was not much over 4K and way more extensive than what your wanting to do. I’d shop around.

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
I bought and installed the full blown Metalcloak 3.5 Gamechanger w/ 6pak shocks, longer front driveshaft, 5 Black Mammoth Boulder wheels and 35" bfg KO2's and got a full blown check and alighment after I installed the lift for $6100.00. Had the dealer I bought it from put it in the lift checked everything and made notes that all was in good order for lifetime warranty to still be valid. Seems like that might be a lot high! Maybe he was high!

20181116_153740.jpg
So you mean you bought all the parts then took it to the dealer to install?

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
I say yes and where I live there’s a lot better 4wd shops than 4wheel parts. I’ll say a lot of folks have to bring there rides to someone else after getting a lift put on from there to get it to drive right. Bolt on you should be fine I’m mainly referring to long arms ect. In my opinion way to high.
Where do you live? Not many great shops here in Nashville TN

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
That sucks, we have a couple good shops around here. I’m in Shreveport , LA . Probably a little over 7 hours away from you.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You mentioned Mopar lift, if you go with it, there’s a couple things you’ll want to buy with it , to get the best ride out of it. You should get front adjustable lower control arms, and front and rear adjustable track bars. I have Mopar lift and got over 3 inches out of it, so these items will center your axles and increase castor, which the sweet spot seems to be to around 6 degrees, (I’m running 6.5). Also recommend you get after market steering stabilizer, you can drive it with factory one and see how it does but my factory one didn’t handle the bigger tires very well. But I like a stiffer steering wheel. As far as install, I had dealer do mine because I wheel my Jeep a lot and am prone to breaking stuff. This way your covered under warranty for parts and labor. Your dealer may be different but most of them like to blame problems on lift to get out of warranty something. Plus my alignment was included, there’s not much to it on solid axles and some guys do it themselves, but I liked seeing the readings for castor, toe, and thrust angle. All of this is just a suggestion based on my experience. There’s a lot of (more complete kits) out there, some better, so it’s a hard decision. Just if you’re worried about your warranty I would talk to your dealership and make sure you’re not voiding it in any way by going aftermarket. Congrats on your new jeep:) my jeep rides and steers like a car, and so far has performed great wheeling. My recommendation on tires would be nitro ridge grapplers, great off road and very quiet on pavement.

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
You mentioned Mopar lift, if you go with it, there’s a couple things you’ll want to buy with it , to get the best ride out of it. You should get front adjustable lower control arms, and front and rear adjustable track bars. I have Mopar lift and got over 3 inches out of it, so these items will center your axles and increase castor, which the sweet spot seems to be to around 6 degrees, (I’m running 6.5). Also recommend you get after market steering stabilizer, you can drive it with factory one and see how it does but my factory one didn’t handle the bigger tires very well. But I like a stiffer steering wheel. As far as install, I had dealer do mine because I wheel my Jeep a lot and am prone to breaking stuff. This way your covered under warranty for parts and labor. Your dealer may be different but most of them like to blame problems on lift to get out of warranty something. Plus my alignment was included, there’s not much to it on solid axles and some guys do it themselves, but I liked seeing the readings for castor, toe, and thrust angle. All of this is just a suggestion based on my experience. There’s a lot of (more complete kits) out there, some better, so it’s a hard decision. Just if you’re worried about your warranty I would talk to your dealership and make sure you’re not voiding it in any way by going aftermarket. Congrats on your new jeep:) my jeep rides and steers like a car, and so far has performed great wheeling. My recommendation on tires would be nitro ridge grapplers, great off road and very quiet on pavement.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that out! I’ll probably end up having the dealer do it like you said. Btw your Jeep looks awesome!

THorner

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR Diesel, 79 J10, 06 XLR, Ducati 999 & ST4
Occupation
Retired
I'll try not to offend here. Got blasted on my first post on another thread. Here is what I did. First off, I'm very happy with my Jeep dealer. I chose the Mopar 2" lift p/n 77072395AB installed by the dealer. I didn't want to void my warranty. If I have any issues I know they will take care of me. I'm still running the stock rim's and have 275/70-18 KO2s on them. This is a little larger than the stock 255s that came on the Sahara. I plan to get different rims/tires when I wear these out. My total out the door installed was $2,180.90. I had a loner car for the 2 days they wanted to "do it right" and they also did an alignment. I think the ride is improved and the handling is very good. They recommended a steering stabilizer p/n 68251580AD which I ordered and installed myself. I'm a happy camper. Hope this helps.
Sponsored