Not open for further replies.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
It's kind of a bad habit with me, a result of my goal to stop for gas as few times as I can. I've run out at least half a dozen times over the last 25 years.

Anyway, I ran out at the top of a hill and *almost* coasted to the gas station 2/3 mi. away - came up two blocks short. Of my Jeep's dozen or so full tanks up to then, this one was furthest off from the computer's calculation/estimate of my mileage. Actual was about 0.7 mpg under computed.

That said, I'm happy with my mileage. I average about 22 over a year; 23-ish in summer and 20-ish in winter. JLU with stick.
Sponsored

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
It's kind of a bad habit with me, a result of my goal to stop for gas as few times as I can. I've run out at least half a dozen times over the last 25 years.

Anyway, I ran out at the top of a hill and *almost* coasted to the gas station 2/3 mi. away - came up two blocks short. Of my Jeep's dozen or so full tanks up to then, this one was furthest off from the computer's calculation/estimate of my mileage. Actual was about 0.7 mpg under computed.

That said, I'm happy with my mileage. I average about 22 over a year; 23-ish in summer and 20-ish in winter. JLU with stick.
That stinks......I'm the opposite, I fill up when I'm at half full......

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Lol. As a teen I ran out of gas once and my dad was so pissed at me. Never again. It’s called paying attention.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I've seen some other threads on this topic - usually it's the other way (says you're empty but you still have a few gallons left). Others have said they had problems getting a full tank to fill, had some venting issues that were found. I'd say you may have a problem with your gas gauge, I'd have a dealer check it out.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Best left for comedy, not engines.

My 2 cents: fill a Jerry can when you visit the pump and use it within 6 months and then refill. Keep it with you need be.

I'm not sure I get the gas station adversity, or if there's some contest mentality going on on here like in the link.

Run out of gas, block traffic: nobody wins.

Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Best left for comedy, not engines.

My 2 cents: fill a Jerry can when you visit the pump and use it within 6 months and then refill. Keep it with you need be.

I'm not sure I get the gas station adversity, or if there's some contest mentality going on on here like in the link.

I was thinking contest too. He’s tracking his yearly mpg. Lol he’s running out so he can push it on each tank.

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Good clip!

I was thinking contest too. He’s tracking his yearly mpg. Lol he’s running out so he can push it on each tank.
JC7's got it. I run out *because* (not "so") I push it on each tank. Father-in-law was two-time winner of Mobil Economy Run in the 1960s. Competitive with him? Nahhh! What makes you say that? (I once got 500 (flat) miles on one tank of my JKU. I did not run out on that one.)
And I'm quite good at not blocking traffic. This time I coasted around a corner and next to the curb in a legal parking spot (with no power steering). Another time I coasted right up to a pump. An average of once every four years I test my reactions again.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Good clip!

JC7's got it. I run out *because* (not "so") I push it on each tank. Father-in-law was two-time winner of Mobil Economy Run in the 1960s. Competitive with him? Nahhh! What makes you say that? (I once got 500 (flat) miles on one tank of my JKU. I did not run out on that one.)
And I'm quite good at not blocking traffic. This time I coasted around a corner and next to the curb in a legal parking spot (with no power steering). Another time I coasted right up to a pump. An average of once every four years I test my reactions again.
Ironic you chose liquids as your name. Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd say you may have a problem with your gas gauge, I'd have a dealer check it out.
I have an interesting (to me) observation on this ...
The empty tank only took 21 gallons on refill, not 21.5. So either it cuts the pump off with a 1/2 gallon still in there or it's not really holding 21.5 (or the station is shorting themselves on fuel sales ... I view this option as least likely). Either way, it's more data about when I *really* need to fill up.
The gas gauge had been on E for some time, but I knew from my second tank that it'll go 40 miles with the digital orange fill indicator stationary just above E, and 80 miles after the low fuel indicator. (I guess I should count on 70 now. :facepalm:)

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As mentioned, I try not to run mine completely out because the heat will ruin the fuel pump. So as soon as my low fuel light flashes on the screen, I'm looking for a fuel station.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe

It's bad for your engine and bad for your fuel filter and pump; in general, it's bad. You also recognize it's an issue, which means you must be aware that it isn't good. Why continue down the path of badness? Just because it hasn't caused a mechanical failure yet, or a traffic incident yet doesn't mean it won't.

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like you’d suck up debris
As mentioned, I try not to run mine completely out because the heat will ruin the fuel pump. So as soon as my low fuel light flashes on the screen, I'm looking for a fuel station.
It's bad for your engine and bad for your fuel filter and pump; in general, it's bad. You also recognize it's an issue, which means you must be aware that it isn't good. Why continue down the path of badness? Just because it hasn't caused a mechanical failure yet, or a traffic incident yet doesn't mean it won't.
All right, I knew I'd run into poo-poo-ers, so here goes ...

The whole sediment/debris issue is hogwash. If you CAN run your tank down to empty, that means that it's still supplying gas to the pump until it is empty. The ONLY way it could do that is if the input tube/hole for the pump is at the bottom of the tank. That means it's sucking up sediment every time you start your car in the morning, whether it's full, 1/4 full or almost empty.

Heat in Michigan will never ruin a fuel pump. These Jeeps were designed to work in really hot places like Texas and Arizona, and to continue to work if thousands of people like me don't go to the gas station until they're almost empty.

And I don't know what the last user thinks I recognize as an issue. I never said anything like the comments I quoted here. I'm actively refuting them.

I don't like going to the gas station. It's dirty, they play that f-ing GSTV too loud, and sometimes they make me pay twice because they have a dollar limit for the card on the pump. On the positive side, I drive very economically, usually cruising around 1300-1500 rpms. Hell, I figured out I can idle in 4th and go 26 mph, perfect for residential streets. If you're concerned, don't drive behind me ... my license plate is LIQUIDS.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.