Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Where are you guys located? Definitely looking forward to see what you come up with. These newer vehicles with all the computers and monitors definitely make designing new aftermarket parts more of a challenge. Also I think it’s pretty cool having a liquid cooled intercooler. I’ve never seen a setup like that before.
We're in New Castle, DE (just south of Wilmington), about 1 hr 40 min from Bath.

Air-to-water intercoolers are pretty cool and becoming the norm for a lot of vehicles. They're efficiency lets manufacturers fit them into smaller packages so they work really well for compact sports cars and trucks with limited space for cooling.

Thanks!

-Steve
Sponsored

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
We're in New Castle, DE (just south of Wilmington), about 1 hr 40 min from Bath.

Air-to-water intercoolers are pretty cool and becoming the norm for a lot of vehicles. They're efficiency lets manufacturers fit them into smaller packages so they work really well for compact sports cars and trucks with limited space for cooling.

Thanks!

-Steve
Not to far at all!

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!

Thanks!

-Steve
Also willing to be a tester! In Ocean County, NJ.

Sponsored

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
Will you be making intakes for the 2.0T Cherokee too?
The Cherokee air box is different and the tub is much shorter than what is on a JL.

Would it hurt to remove that inner lining/ring of the muffer ?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Not to far at all!
Also willing to be a tester! In Ocean County, NJ.
I'll keep you both in mind if we need test vehicles! Thank you!

Nice - following
Thanks!

Will you be making intakes for the 2.0T Cherokee too?
The Cherokee air box is different and the tub is much shorter than what is on a JL.

The Cherokee 2.0T intake isn't on our product plan as of right now, but I'll certainly pass it on to the team to check out! It looks like the design is significantly different from the Wrangler intake, so it would likely require the full R&D process.

Thanks!
-Steve

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I forgot to answer this question, sorry! We'll be testing with and without various non-essential parts of the intake (including that muffler) to determine their effects on power and flow. In the past, we've found that removing mufflers like that has little effect on performance, but does increase intake noise.

Thanks!
-Steve

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Do you have any plans to have beta testers closer to product release?

Sponsored

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
Steve,
Thanks for the reply. The Cherokee Turbo inlet tube/air box looks much different than a Wrangler see attached pic.
I took off the engine cover for this pic. For mods I shortened the air box air inlet tube that had the Hemholtz resonator on it.
It still pulls cool air from the corner but didn't increase the turbo induction sound...seems like these turbos are really quiet. lol

IMG_9225.JPG

IMG_9364.JPG

IMG_9373.JPG

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Do you have any plans to have beta testers closer to product release?
We may seek out another local vehicle for testing towards the end of development, but right now we'll be testing and developing on our in-house JL.

Steve,
Thanks for the reply. The Cherokee Turbo inlet tube/air box looks much different than a Wrangler see attached pic.
I took off the engine cover for this pic. For mods I shortened the air box air inlet tube that had the Hemholtz resonator on it.
It still pulls cool air from the corner but didn't increase the turbo induction sound...seems like these turbos are really quiet. lol
Interesting. Since it was before the filter box, I'd imagine that resonator probably took out some lower to middle frequencies from the induction noise. The airbox itself is probably acting as a resonator as well - you usually get a lot of induction noise by opening the airbox, but you sacrifice some cold air induction if you open it up to the engine bay. I'm curious to see how our intake sounds on the Wrangler.

Thanks!
-Steve

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I'm a stones throw away in Baltimore, just saying :)
I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Hey everybody,

Check out the next short update on this intake and let us know what you think! This time we're breaking out our 3D scanner :movember:

Breathing Fresh Air – Intake R&D, Part 2: 3D Scan
MG_6717-2.jpg

As the weather here in Delaware continues to get colder, I’ve resigned myself to only leaving the house to avoid starvation or getting fired (and it’s not even really cold here). As much as I hate the cold, I’m reminded every morning that my turbocharged car loves it. The only thing better than cold, dense air for a turbocharged engine is more cold, dense air. Once the winter months turn into spring and summer, more of us will be out enjoying the warm air, but your 2.0T Jeep JL will be longing for the cold of winter. At Mishimoto, we’ve been working to give your Jeep the cool air it needs to perform its best all year long.

MG_7732_anotated.jpg
The first poston our 2018+ JL 2.0L turbo intake focused on every aspect of the stock intake system. If you missed that post, I suggest going back and reading it because there are a lot of parts to this intake. While we’re moving on to our intake’s design, we’re not quite done with the stock intake yet. After all, a high-flowing, great-sounding, power-adding intake is useless if it doesn’t fit under the hood. Before we could design our intake, we needed to know where each piece needed to live. Our engineers call it the envelope.

MG_6700.jpg
To map the intake’s envelope and its mounting points, our engineer broke out the Faro 3D laser scanner. This 3D scanner measures 560,000 points every second to translate physical parts into digital space. With that digital model, our engineer can design our intake around the stock envelope and ensure that it fits like a glove and any improvements we make don’t interfere with any other components in the engine bay. Our engineer meticulously removed each component and scanned every inch of the stock intake.

MG_6711.jpg
With the intake scanned, we moved on to scanning the engine bay. It might seem like the scans of the intake are our priority, but it’s the scan of the engine bay that gives us the most critical information. Scanning the engine bay lets us know where we have room to make components larger or take out bends. And for a project like an intake, where volume and flow are paramount, knowing your available space is vital. Our engineer took her time to scan every component the intake meets along its path to the engine. In the end, we were left with perfect 3D models of the stock intake and the space where our replacement would reside. Envelope complete.

MG_6794.jpg
In the next post, we’ll be using the 3D data we gathered to design a higher-flowing, better-performing intake. We’ll start with a digital model, then make a physical prototype to begin testing with. Soon your 2.0T JL will be able to breathe fresh air through a Mishimoto intake. Keep an eye out for the next post and, as always, let us know what you think.

Thanks for reading,
-Steve

Outrage

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2001 TJ
Your team is amazing. Picking up our new 2019 JLU Rubicon tomorrow afternoon. Cant wait for the intake to be released and let that motor breath that much better. I think the 2.0L motor will be able to put down more power than the aftermarket turbo system for the 3.6L. I also have a 2005 Subaru STI with mods putting 402hp and 404tq to the wheels. I know it can be done.......
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.