Sponsored

remote start below 40 degrees

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I noticed recently that the remote start on my JLUR (cold weather package) now turns on the rear defroster, I do not recall the rear defroster being activated with this feature. Could this have been some form of an update done to the software? I can see where this can be useful although mine is parked inside overnight.:jk:
Sponsored

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed the same thing.... just another button to push after I get in.

Order of events in sub 40:
1.) Remote Start... 2 clicks on remote.
2.) Unlock doors... 1 click on remote.
3.) Open door and get in... no clicks.
4.) Start button... 1 click.
5.) ESS button... 1 click.
6.) Heated seat... 1 click.
7.) Heated steering wheel... 1 click.
8.) Rear defrost to turn off... 1 click.

8 button clicks later, and Im ready to drive!

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I do believe that you can go into the UConnect and change the settings for some of this stuff. I haven't tried. This reminds me that I need to re-install my Smart Start Stop so I can be on the move in 7 clicks! :giggle:

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Yep lots of clicking and button pushing going-on, hard to believe that we use to insert a key in the door, open the door, insert the key again and turn it. My other car has an ignition key and I still enjoy turning it to start the car......

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
I do believe that you can go into the UConnect and change the settings for some of this stuff. I haven't tried. This reminds me that I need to re-install my Smart Start Stop so I can be on the move in 7 clicks! :giggle:
There was another thread around that said if you don't have the 8.4 UConnect the options to turn those things off on startup were not there. I can confirm that with the 8.4 UConnect you can turn those things off.

Sponsored

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There was another thread around that said if you don't have the 8.4 UConnect the options to turn those things off on startup were not there. I can confirm that with the 8.4 UConnect you can turn those things off.
I found most... but not the rear defrost on. How did you get to that one?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
They are on the 7" as well, at least mine.

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
I found most... but not the rear defrost on. How did you get to that one?
I just assumed it you set it to "off" it would turn everything off.. I like having it on so I haven't tried.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I think you can set the seats/ steering wheel heat on or off below 40, with every start or remote only, but I donā€™t think thereā€™s any choice on rear defroster. If itā€™s below 40 it just automatically turns on for one cycle. Thatā€™s about 10 minutes.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed the same thing.... just another button to push after I get in.

Order of events in sub 40:
1.) Remote Start... 2 clicks on remote.
2.) Unlock doors... 1 click on remote.
3.) Open door and get in... no clicks.
4.) Start button... 1 click.
5.) ESS button... 1 click.
6.) Heated seat... 1 click.
7.) Heated steering wheel... 1 click.
8.) Rear defrost to turn off... 1 click.

8 button clicks later, and Im ready to drive!
3 clicks on seat button to go from 3 to 2 to 1 to off right?
Make that 10 total clicks :)

Sponsored

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
I think you can set the seats/ steering wheel heat on or off below 40, with every start or remote only, but I donā€™t think thereā€™s any choice on rear defroster. If itā€™s below 40 it just automatically turns on for one cycle. Thatā€™s about 10 minutes.
Same here. No option to select or deselect if defroster comes on with the seat and wheel. It just does.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Keep in mind rear defroster button/function is also for the side mirrors.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Iā€™m totally for people having different priorities and being able to tailor things to their individual needs via settings. But to be honest I do have a hard time understanding the issue with the Jeep automatically warming itself up on cold days when using remote start. For people who donā€™t want that, what is the purpose of using remote start in the first place? Just for warming up the engine? Not arguing against being able to disable those things. But I personally like everything turning on, so Iā€™m asking because I'm genuinely curious and would like to understand other peopleā€™s scenarios. Thanks!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Same here. No option to select or deselect if defroster comes on with the seat and wheel. It just does.
Actually I think that there might be a cabin temperature sensor involved too. On mornings with remote start I have seats, wheel, rear defroster and front defroster on high ( until door opens, then front shuts off). Tonight once I got home I hit remote start and looked through the window, only wheel and seat. Cabin was warm, so maybe only defroster comes on automatically if it senses itā€™s needed.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Iā€™m totally for people having different priorities and being able to tailor things to their individual needs via settings. But to be honest I do have a hard time understanding the issue with the Jeep automatically warming itself up on cold days when using remote start. For people who donā€™t want that, what is the purpose of using remote start in the first place? Just for warming up the engine? Not arguing against being able to disable those things. But I personally like everything turning on, so Iā€™m asking because I'm genuinely curious and would like to understand other peopleā€™s scenarios. Thanks!
Because people like to write threads about things they dislike rather than going into the manual and investigating how to disable things. Best part? The OPā€™s first post states he parks inside overnightā€”so why worry about remote start at all unless you like carbon monoxide.
Sponsored