Not open for further replies.

Slopeside

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Is it just me or has overlanding become an excuse for people to justify spending thousands of dollars on gear they don't truly need?

I just call it car camping and have done it all my life with multi-week trips ranging from the deserts of Utah/Arizona, the remote inland lakes of Ontario, the Tetons in the winter months, and all throughout Colorado.

At no point did I say to myself, "Wow, I really needed this $1,000 fridge in my car." Ever heard of dry ice?

I would say 10/10 times I go car camping, I would never choose to set up my tent where I park my car. Sure some RTTs set and pack up faster than my ground tent but it never takes me more than 5 minutes to do either so save that argument.

Storage systems I get, there's true utility there.

Yes there are use cases for all of these products, yes they are cool, and yes they make life easier, and some people truly may need them but what happened to camping for the sake of roughing it? Am I the only one that thinks this?

chang-my-mind-rtt.png
Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me or has overlanding become an excuse for people to justify spending thousands of dollars on gear they don't truly need?

I just call it car camping and have done it all my life with multi-week trips ranging from the deserts of Utah/Arizona, the remote inland lakes of Ontario, the Tetons in the winter months, and all throughout Colorado.

At no point did I say to myself, "Wow, I really needed this $1,000 fridge in my car." Ever heard of dry ice?

I would say 10/10 times I go car camping, I would never choose to set up my tent where I park my car. Sure some RTTs set and pack up faster than my ground tent but it never takes me more than 5 minutes to do either so save that argument.

Yes there are use cases for all of these products, yes they are cool, and yes they make life easier, and some people truly may need them but what happened to camping for the sake of roughing it? Am I the only one that thinks this?

chang-my-mind-rtt.png
I am inclined to agree with you, but I'm also interested in what counter-arguments there might be. I car camp only rarely, preferring to backpack in to places, and while Jeep camping won't replace backpacking for me, it will make us more inclined to do roadtrips with our backpacking gear instead of hoteling it.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
OP, ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, other people might like to camp/spend time outdoors in a manner different than you? And, just perhaps, that is what freedom is all about?

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!

OP
OP
Slopeside

Slopeside

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
OP, ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, other people might like to camp/spend time outdoors in a manner different than you? And, just perhaps, that is what freedom is all about?

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!
Quite the contradiction to tell me to stop liking what you don't like and promoting freedom in the same post...

You do you king, I'm not stopping you.

Reactions: JC7

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

chang-my-mind-rtt.png
Is is just me or are there far too many people DRIVING to a camp site and calling it "camping" (or worse, "car camping")? Dude, there's degrees - if you feel better than the folks that like to Overland, ride that high horse as far as it will take you. I'm from a generation that drives to a trailhead, hikes a trail along the mountains for a week or two with nothing but what I can strap to my back then either circles back or has a ride arranged to drop me back off at the departure point. That's "camping" to me. The fact that others like to do it different ways doesn't mean they are doing it wrong or that I've been doing it right - we are just doing it differently. Like my friend Gary always says "There's a reason Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors". I can't stand mint-chocolate chip myself but I don't think any less of the folks that love it (like my late father) or feel any need to try and call them out.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Is is just me or are there far too many people DRIVING to a camp site and calling it "camping" (or worse, "car camping")? Dude, there's degrees - if you feel better than the folks that like to Overland, ride that high horse as far as it will take you. I'm from a generation that drives to a trailhead, hikes a trail along the mountains for a week or two with nothing but what I can strap to my back then either circles back or has a ride arranged to drop me back off at the departure point. That's "camping" to me. The fact that others like to do it different ways doesn't mean they are doing it wrong or that I've been doing it right - we are just doing it differently. Like my friend Gary always says "There's a reason Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors". I can't stand mint-chocolate chip myself but I don't think any less of the folks that love it (like my late father) or feel any need to try and call them out.
Yea really. I personally think RTT people spend way too much on gear
86D7CFDE-5088-4D5E-94BA-65A189234581.jpeg

OP
OP
Slopeside

Slopeside

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I'm right there with you Karl; Utah/Arizona was back-packing through Escalante then driving to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to hike it top to bottom and back up, Missonabi Ontario is driving to a boat launch, camping for a night, then setting off for an extended time paddling and portaging from campsite to campsite, the Tetons I carried a 30+ pound pack while pulling a sled and sleeping in a quinzee snow shelter for 10 days in January. I'm not trying to be a hardo, I'm just trying to understand the justification for all the gear on seemingly simple excursions.

Sometimes I myself am just trying to drive out into the woods and chug beers around a fire and have no problem calling that car camping.

Different strokes for different folks. It's all good baby, BEAR DOWN.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

It all depends on the application. A RTT allows you to set up shop anywhere, no need for good ground, it's usually a fast setup, etc. For a weekend camping trip in the woods with designated sites, it's mostly a waste, especially with the HEAP of negatives that come with a RTT, but if you are taking a long week+ long road trip, they may make sense....for SOME. I disagree with you 110% on the fridge. I used a cooler with ice forever. The fact is, keeping food dry, having to refill ice, and losing 30% of your space to ice is what makes no sense. A fridge is an excellent investment. As for other stuff, it's not a one size fits all. On the east coast for instance, where there furthest you can get from civilization is a few miles, most of it is a waste. For those looking to explore deserts and canyons, self sufficiency becomes paramount.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
I've always felt it's best to simply mind one's own f**king business and not worry about what other people spend their time and money doing.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have any gear for camping on my jeep. Having a roof top tent/camper intrigued me for a few reasons:
1. It gives more space for cargo inside. instead of carrying a tent/pad/air mattress.....its on the roof, more supplies space.

2. Sleeping in a tent in the rain you usually get stuff wet or you get wet unless you're on an air mattress. Water runs under the tent etc.......so more gear is needed like a bulky air mattress. Sleeping on top of your jeep you don't have to worry about getting wet from putting your tent in a low spot.

3. The roof rigs are expensive. I could live with a decent cot with rigging for a mosquito net and a rain fly, and improvise a lean too with tarp and be just fine too.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The best solution that I have seen, and will be doing on my JL, is the ursa minor replacement hard top. You get the best of both worlds with that solution....only downside, it's expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.