Sponsored

Rubicon as a Highway Driver...What? all Good to report...

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Just a PSA....and Good News at that....but wife and i just got back from a Road Trip halfway across our GREAT Country(from NW Arkansas to Williamsburg, VA) and our Rubi did a Fantastic Job on the road...we drove through torrential rain, fog and more and the Rubi was a Champ!!! I dare say that of all our cars, I would pick our Rubi for our next road trip again!

Just some good news I thought I'd share for all the naysayers!
:like::jk::flag:
Sponsored

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
For sure! There is nothing wrong with the rubicon on the long hauls. (Now, I can name more comfrortable vehicles, but that’s not the point).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
From the seating comfort to the Alpine sound system, the Rubi is my number 1 choice for long highway trips, even above our Mercedes E430, which is smooth, quiet, and fast. The ride is great, the lighting (LED) is outstanding, and the large nav screen is the icing on the cake. I actually really like the internal navigation, too. It had some trails in Moab that didn't show up on Google Maps, too. My kids tell me the back seat is roomy and comfortable, as well. Moab and back was about 22 highway hours each way.

On the trail, nothing compares. We spent more than 12 hours on the Rimrocker Trail and I was still comfortable and felt great at the end.

I'm 6'5, so it isn't easy for a vehicle to be comfortable for me on long hauls. My JK is fair, but causes muscle discomfort in my legs after awhile on the road. I get none of that in the JL.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Glad you had a good trip. I drive my JLUR daily about 35 miles. I sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic and sometimes it takes me 90 minutes to go the 17 miles home. That 90 minutes became far more tolerable when I go my JL. We too have taken road trips in ours with our two kiddos and in fact will be doing a long trip through Columbia river gorge this weekend to eastern Washington and will get to test the weather and winds in the Gorge. It has always done fantastic.

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Just a PSA....and Good News at that....but wife and i just got back from a Road Trip halfway across our GREAT Country(from NW Arkansas to Williamsburg, VA) and our Rubi did a Fantastic Job on the road...we drove through torrential rain, fog and more and the Rubi was a Champ!!! I dare say that of all our cars, I would pick our Rubi for our next road trip again!

Just some good news I thought I'd share for all the naysayers!
:like::jk::flag:
We could have a Northside vs Southside NWA Jeep Off :cwl:

683577F8-4D7D-4B61-87B0-A46400D99632.jpeg

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
From the seating comfort to the Alpine sound system, the Rubi is my number 1 choice for long highway trips, even above our Mercedes E430, which is smooth, quiet, and fast. The ride is great, the lighting (LED) is outstanding, and the large nav screen is the icing on the cake. I actually really like the internal navigation, too. It had some trails in Moab that didn't show up on Google Maps, too. My kids tell me the back seat is roomy and comfortable, as well. Moab and back was about 22 highway hours each way.

On the trail, nothing compares. We spent more than 12 hours on the Rimrocker Trail and I was still comfortable and felt great at the end.

I'm 6'5, so it isn't easy for a vehicle to be comfortable for me on long hauls. My JK is fair, but causes muscle discomfort in my legs after awhile on the road. I get none of that in the JL.
Damn, yeah -- at that height it would be tough to be comfortable in anything. My '11 Range rover sport supercharged is the most comfortable vehicle I own by far, I am hopeful the Rubicon will be somewhat close. The ones I've sat in feel like it but I can drive 8+ hours in the Range Rover and not even feel tired. It just doesn't wear you down like other vehicles.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I find my JLUR to be really comfortable. I like it more than my wife’s 2017 Acadia Denali. I like the seating position more than my last 2017 Silverado LTZ too. I can’t atand the car I drive for work. It’s awful to drive and sit in. The seats are way too low. If you raise it to where you feel better, the steering wheel hits your legs and your head hits the headliner on the way in and out. I’m not very tall either. I really like the viability in the JL unlimited as well.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Glad to hear the nav was great in Moab. I was wondering about that.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
My Rubicon does very well on road trips I have zero issues driving 6 or more hours in it. Rain no issue it's a nice ride again I am not one to compare it to my cars because it's a totally different vehicle. I'm completely satisfied

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ummmm.... really?
If I am on a trip that will take me down trails, yes.... but to say the Rubicon is a good highway vehicle is stretching it just a tad. Im in the Benz for highway travel. More power to you if you like the Rubicon on the highway... guess I'm getting old and enjoy the comfort. YMMV.

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z

How was rimrocker? That's on my list next time I'm in Montrose.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
How was rimrocker? That's on my list next time I'm in Montrose.
It was great! The terrain wasn't challenging, but in Utah, the trail gets very narrow and is a little more challenging. We ran that part at night, which made it even better. I'll definitely do it again. I wish we could have camped at the camp ground on the border. Maybe next time. The scenery was gorgeous all along the trail. The water crossings were all dry when we were there in October. I hear that in the spring, they get deep and can sometimes be impassible.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
It was great! The terrain wasn't challenging, but in Utah, the trail gets very narrow and is a little more challenging. We ran that part at night, which made it even better. I'll definitely do it again. I wish we could have camped at the camp ground on the border. Maybe next time. The scenery was gorgeous all along the trail. The water crossings were all dry when we were there in October. I hear that in the spring, they get deep and can sometimes be impassible.
Good to hear! thats what I'm hoping for is a nice fun offroad trek with good views. Were usually around there in late Aug. early Sept.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
My JLU sahara is fine on the highway...asssss long as it isn't windy. Drove down to Austin from Dallas on a very windy day...35-40 mph winds. Yikes. It didn't dissuade my love of the jeep, but it was an arm wrestle to say the least. Wrangler doesn't like wind. Ever.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My JLU sahara is fine on the highway...asssss long as it isn't windy. Drove down to Austin from Dallas on a very windy day...35-40 mph winds. Yikes. It didn't dissuade my love of the jeep, but it was an arm wrestle to say the least. Wrangler doesn't like wind. Ever.
We had 40+ mph winds here in KY over the last couple of days. I have a 15 mile/way commute on a 55 mph 4 lane, and it was a complete cross wind for my trips. For a 2 door with 37" tires lifted 4", I was very surprised at how little I had to wrestle for the drive...I thought for sure I was going to blow out a soft top window, though...but it didn't happen.:like:
Sponsored