Sponsored

Catback Rock Crawl Exhausts: Pypes, AFE or Borla - Most Daily Driver Friendly

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I ran the Borla climber catback on my JKU..now Im running the AFE MACH Force-XP Hi-Tuck Cat-Back Exhaust on my JLU..I recommend the AFE all day long in real life. Sounds clips on the internet is dangerous to go by.
What's your reasoning behind this? More mellow sound, less or no drone, etc.?

OP
OP
rlaracue

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I ran the Borla climber catback on my JKU..now Im running the AFE MACH Force-XP Hi-Tuck Cat-Back Exhaust on my JLU..I recommend the AFE all day long in real life. Sounds clips on the internet is dangerous to go by.
Good to know. I thought the AFE was more mellow and good for a daily driver. Borla sounds awesome but I think it cannot help getting loud.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rlaracue

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Exactly no drone and quieter IMO..the Borla wouldn't drone but was a bit louder. But it's subjective of course.
I hear the Dynomax catback is designed to be modestly more robust than stock. I pinged the company about the ETA for that system on the JL. They said it would be coming out soon but they would not give me a date.

Here is the JKU version.

http://www.dynomax.com/single-2-5-cat-back-system-ultra-flo-polished-muffler-39418.html

So now I am stuck between waiting on the Dynomax or going with an AFE now. :)

OP
OP
rlaracue

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have a 2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon V6 with a Magnaflow Catback Rock Crawler exhaust and while the sound is deep and powerful it a bit too loud at low RPMs under acceleration and going uphills. I need the clearance but not the the volume so I am looking at three other options which owners have said are more livable.

1. Pypes https://www.lmperformance.com/95018...ound-clearance-street-pro-exhaust-system.html . New model with tailpipe redesign. SJJ25S touring muffler street pro, SJJ25R bullet style, more aggressive muffler.

2. AFE https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-4...inless-steel-cat-back-exhaust-system#overview

3. Borla https://www.borla.com/products/jlu_wrangler_4_door_climber_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140747.html

I have heard a few sound clips from members on the last two but not on the Pypes daily drive variant. All look feasible but so far I think the AFE has the most improved sound over stock while being quiet enough to live with every day.

So thoughts on each vendor (build quality, etc), their sound profile & then impressions on these specific units in terms of sound, volume and daily driver friendliness?

Thanks!

PS - Once I decide on a new unit I will put my Magnaflow system up for sale for $350 + shipping. It has less than 100 miles on it and will be shipped insured to anywhere in the US.

Update on Borla Climber System: The company told me that they have no current plans to offer their touring muffler with the Climber Exhaust for the JL. They didn't say never but its not on the drawing board.

OP
OP
rlaracue

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Here is the AFE Rock basher on the JL. Hardtop with 37's to account for noise. It is quite a bit quieter than a stock exhaust with the rear muffler removed

Sounds good though when the Jeep down shifts for more speed it goes into hotrod mode. :)

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a video with a few sound clips of the Gibson Cat Back single 2.5, I love this thing so far! Definitely feel a performance increase and sounds great too! Usually priced at over $500 but was able to get it from CJ pony parts on sale at $370 during holidays.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rlaracue

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Here’s a video with a few sound clips of the Gibson Cat Back single 2.5, I love this thing so far! Definitely feel a performance increase and sounds great too! Usually priced at over $500 but was able to get it from CJ pony parts on sale at $370 during holidays.

Sounds good. Not too loud. How is the sound in the cabin? I wish they made an rock crawler catback version with no rear muffler.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a video with a few sound clips of the Gibson Cat Back single 2.5, I love this thing so far! Definitely feel a performance increase and sounds great too! Usually a pricey system at over $500
Sounds good. Not too loud. How is the sound in the cabin? I wish they made an rock crawler catback version with no rear muffler.
its got a real nice tone and cabin isn’t to noisy unless harder on accel, sounds great IMO, not to raspy or snappy, but nice low sporty tone. I’ll try and get more video in cabin or drive by footage. Today was horribly windy and raining so didn’t attempt it. It’s a solid well built system that tucks up pretty high, especially if you use the other XT tip it comes with, I’ll be putting that on tomorrow, the other is too large and comes down much lower and is chrome.

OP
OP
rlaracue

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Here’s a video with a few sound clips of the Gibson Cat Back single 2.5, I love this thing so far! Definitely feel a performance increase and sounds great too! Usually a pricey system at over $500

its got a real nice tone and cabin isn’t to noisy unless harder on accel, sounds great IMO, not to raspy or snappy, but nice low sporty tone. I’ll try and get more video in cabin or drive by footage. Today was horribly windy and raining so didn’t attempt it. It’s a solid well built system that tucks up pretty high, especially if you use the other XT tip it comes with, I’ll be putting that on tomorrow, the other is too large and comes down much lower and is chrome.
Sounds great! I agree for off roading or that off road look a simple down tip is better. Looking forward to seeing it.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Great thread. I don’t want anything particularly loud. I don’t necessarily like the sound of these engines so I don’t want to amplify it too much. I just don’t like the ugly stock exhaust waiting to be crushed down. I’d like something I can’t see like the tuck ones. Although that Gibson sounds good and the single tip isn’t too bad.

Thanks for all the info guys.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I’m just waiting on a new exhaust clamp from Gibson to install the smaller XT tip.

06E14AEB-3101-447D-AFE4-B9A54233ED9C.jpeg
Sponsored