Sponsored

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
FYI for other MOAB owners... I was curious about the suspension on mine and did a Jeep chat twice. Amazed I couldn’t get answer if it was Sahara or Rubicon. I called local dealership and gave the VINs of mine vs Sahara vs Rubicon. Was told BOTH (springs and shocks) are the same part #’s as Rubicon, NOT Sahara. Finding out this is a true split between the two models.
First time I’ve heard this. Need some further verification.
Sponsored

Black Moab

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab Edition
Vehicle Showcase
FYI for other MOAB owners... I was curious about the suspension on mine and did a Jeep chat twice. Amazed I couldn’t get answer if it was Sahara or Rubicon. I called local dealership and gave the VINs of mine vs Sahara vs Rubicon. Was told BOTH (springs and shocks) are the same part #’s as Rubicon, NOT Sahara. Finding out this is a true split between the two models.
That is 100% false. Moab’s have the Sahara shocks and springs. Just look at a window sticker. Rubicons state “performance suspension” Moab’s and Sahara’s state “heavy duty suspension with gas shocks”.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
That is 100% false. Moab’s have the Sahara shocks and springs. Just look at a window sticker. Rubicons state “performance suspension” Moab’s and Sahara’s state “heavy duty suspension with gas shocks”.
I'm not going to even pretend to know if I have Sahara or Rubicon shocks, but my Moab came with red ones so I assumed they were Rubicon ones. Could easily be a bad assumption on my part.

JDub1156

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB
I 100% thought the same thing, as I was ready to buy rubicon take offs. Part #s don’t lie, and the dealership confirmed part #’s match the rubicon and NOT Sahara. I just called another dealer and got the same answer again! Even surprised the parts guy as he said they were told it was Sahara platform. Don’t say it’s 100% false if you don’t know for sure!! I was just trying to help people not make the mistake I almost did.

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
It is odd that the shock housing for Moab is red like the rubicon, as oppose to black like the Sahara. You would think that if it was just aesthetic, red would have been avoided.

Sponsored

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Parts counters don't lie.. but marketing dept's almost always do or certainly like to paint things in the best of lights. i.e. I certainly wouldn't take a line like performance suspension and heavy duty suspension to mean anything really... at the most that it's something different than a base offering. One could argue that all "wrangler" suspensions are heavy duty or performance regardless of trim level. The proof is what the book says for replacement part numbers.

JxRYE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ-7 Renegade, 2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
I am having the mopar lift put on my jeep this coming week, I will ask them to see if they can find the part number on the shocks while they are in there.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is odd that the shock housing for Moab is red like the rubicon, as oppose to black like the Sahara. You would think that if it was just aesthetic, red would have been avoided.
YES!!! Along with the stupid silver muffler!!!

Black Moab

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I 100% thought the same thing, as I was ready to buy rubicon take offs. Part #s don’t lie, and the dealership confirmed part #’s match the rubicon and NOT Sahara. I just called another dealer and got the same answer again! Even surprised the parts guy as he said they were told it was Sahara platform. Don’t say it’s 100% false if you don’t know for sure!! I was just trying to help people not make the mistake I almost did.
I stand corrected. I just got under mine and confirmed as well that it is in fact rubicon springs and shocks despite what my dealer told me. Not sure why jeep would make an additional chassis spec to the sahara and rubi just for a special edition and misprint it on the spec sheet but hey one step closer to being a rubi. Wish they would have done the rear steel bumper too though, wasn't aware it was only the steel front until i picked mine up.

Side note... i just installed this on mine. https://www.smartstopstart.com/
No more pushing the stupid auto start stop button to turn it off every time! Call me dumb and lazy but I despise that button.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
I stand corrected. I just got under mine and confirmed as well that it is in fact rubicon springs and shocks despite what my dealer told me. Not sure why jeep would make an additional chassis spec to the sahara and rubi just for a special edition and misprint it on the spec sheet but hey one step closer to being a rubi. Wish they would have done the rear steel bumper too though, wasn't aware it was only the steel front until i picked mine up.

Side note... i just installed this on mine. https://www.smartstopstart.com/
No more pushing the stupid auto start stop button to turn it off every time! Call me dumb and lazy but I despise that button.
I've been wondering this since I got my MOAB in November as it seemed to sit a little higher than my buddy's Sahara! The red made me think it was rubicon. Glad to finally get confirmation on that! Still gonna do a lift but good to know for the meantime!

Sponsored

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
such a weird mix of Sahara and Rubicon. It doesn’t affect me but at least future buyers know not to purchase rubicon springs and shocks. Good info guys.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Those Rubicon shocks are quite good, too. I ran the Rubi shocks on my JK to 100,000 miles and changed them for a new set of Ranchos. The guys who did the change were Rancho factory guys and they said my Rubi shocks were still in great shape. So why did I go ahead and change them? Rancho gave me the new Rx5000 shocks for free!

Btw, the Rubi shocks are made by Tenneco, the parent company of Rancho.

Yammyhaha

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito MOAB/Audi A6/BMW Z3/Saab 9-5/Saab 9-3 Conv
Folks. A couple of questions. Are there any mud flaps available for the Moab? The side rails help with the splatter, but not a final solution for me. Also, are there any add on steps that work with the side rails? No problem with me and my wife has adapted fine with the little protrusion of the side rail, but my mother in law no can do. If no one has a step yet, I am going to have a weld shop fabricate a small step attached to the rail. Regardless, this surprise Christmas present overwhelmed my wife. She was shaking and a baking when she saw it in the driveway. "That's mine?", she asked with big wide open brown eyes. She loves her Mojito Moab! Happy New Year to all you jeepers!!

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Folks. A couple of questions. Are there any mud flaps available for the Moab? The side rails help with the splatter, but not a final solution for me. Also, are there any add on steps that work with the side rails? No problem with me and my wife has adapted fine with the little protrusion of the side rail, but my mother in law no can do. If no one has a step yet, I am going to have a weld shop fabricate a small step attached to the rail. Regardless, this surprise Christmas present overwhelmed my wife. She was shaking and a baking when she saw it in the driveway. "That's mine?", she asked with big wide open brown eyes. She loves her Mojito Moab! Happy New Year to all you jeepers!!
I was thinking about trying the Mopar splash guards. They say they'll fit Sports and Saharas, not 100% about Moabs.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-molded-splash-guards-jeep-wrangler-jl