Sponsored

LED Replacements for Backup and TailLights/Turn/Brakes.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Having been in the electrical industry for over 40 years and watching technology grow to LED's I will make this comment.

Adding resistors to any lighting installation has to effects on the system.
First, resistors add load and therefore may negate any potential power savings and may in fact increase the load.
Second, resistors by design, resist and consume electrical energy by transforming it to heat in nearly all cases. This can become an issue if a resistor fails as it is like like to damage the wiring if failure occurs.

Any LED retrofit I will use will have to be an all in one design with no additional devices. It took a while in the 120 volt electrical industry and boy , have I see a lot of terrible LEDs and their failures and characteristics. I will be patient and wait for engineering to meet the market and costs settle to normalize as well.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Including resistance elements in an enclosed led bulb causes premature failure due to heat generation. That is why resistors are physically separated from the diode itself. Of course resistors generate heat. That's their purpose. Regardless of whether your resistor is integral to the aftermarket bulb or not, it still exists and your fears of failure change nothing.

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
Installed the LUYED set from the Amazon and can say more impressed than ever. No idea how to post photos but these are amazing!!!
Now to get an LEDs for the taillight and front park/turns.

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2014 Audi A4. 2015 Fiat 500C. 1970 Ford F250
With the Tazer JL, navigate through the menu options to Lighting, and select it. You'll get the following options:

Set DRL Type : Choose USA (on but selectable), Canada (on all the time), or off.
Set DRL Location : Choose which lights to use as DRL’s (results vary with vehicle model) – Dedicated DRL, SRT DRL’s, Turns, Fogs, Hi beams or Low beams.
Set DRL Dropout: This setting is enabled by default, making the DRL turn off when using a turn signal. Turning this OFF will keep the DRL on even when a turn signal is in use.
Set Fog Lights Enable: If factory fog lights are added, this setting will enable them.
Set Fog Dropout: This setting is enabled by default, making the Fogs turn off when using high beams. Turning this OFF will keep the fogs on even when high beams are in use.
Set Halo Enable: This setting is to disable or enable factory Halos.
Set LED CMHSL: This setting is to configure the vehicle for LED 3rd brake light.
Set LED Tails: This setting is to configure the vehicle for LED 3rd taillights.
Set LED Front Turn: This setting is to configure the vehicle for LED front turn signals.

Set Trailer Tow: This setting is to configure the vehicle for trailer tow package.

The underlined parts are what need to be selected to stop the bulb out warnings.
I made those changes to my Tazer and the front LEDs work fine but the rear turn signals don't. I get the bulb out warning, even though it actually works (just hyperflashes).

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Are you sure the bulbs are actually working? Are they very bright?

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I made a change, with the back-up LED lights. The ones I used, in the first post were brighter than stockt, but I wanted even brighter. So, I ordered some Luyed LED lights, from Amazon.
Easy install, and they will light up my entire driveway, at night. In the backup camera, it's as if I was backing up in daylight. For $18 total price, this is a hands down winner. The wife was in the driveway, watching me back up, and said they were almost blinding.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H57FXWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone know if you can replace this bulb for the Factory LED lighting package? Trying to decide between dedicated rear backup lights/floods and if a bulb like this could replace the factory LED.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Does anyone know if you can replace this bulb for the Factory LED lighting package? Trying to decide between dedicated rear backup lights/floods and if a bulb like this could replace the factory LED.
You cannot replace the factory LED bulbs themselves, they are a full assembly.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Are you sure the bulbs are actually working? Are they very bright?
The backup LED lights i installed are still working great. Even in total darkness, through the rear camera, it looks like daylight.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The backup LED lights i installed are still working great. Even in total darkness, through the rear camera, it looks like daylight.
I was talking about the other guy whose rear turn signals the dash says are out.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I made a change, with the back-up LED lights. The ones I used, in the first post were brighter than stockt, but I wanted even brighter. So, I ordered some Luyed LED lights, from Amazon.
Easy install, and they will light up my entire driveway, at night. In the backup camera, it's as if I was backing up in daylight. For $18 total price, this is a hands down winner. The wife was in the driveway, watching me back up, and said they were almost blinding.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H57FXWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks again for this post. I just installed these ... seem pretty bright in the garage and i’ll give another report when I use them at night. Thx.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks again for this post. I just installed these ... seem pretty bright in the garage and i’ll give another report when I use them at night. Thx.

let us know what you think, when you use at night. It's been raining quite a bit here, and even at night, in a heavy rain, these light things up well.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
let us know what you think, when you use at night. It's been raining quite a bit here, and even at night, in a heavy rain, these light things up well.
Definitley better. I wouldn’t say blind the neighbor spot lights, but improved and worth $20!

One thing ... I look at taillights and it appears the LED bulb is very close to taillight housing now. Almost looks like it could be roughing. I’ll need to take and share some pics.

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
I installed these from amazon as well and mine also come close to our touch the housing. They are very visible even when off. Also, the seem to create a rolling line effect on the backup screen at night. Has anyone else noticed this?

The work great and light up very bright, though I might return them for shorter ones if anyone has any suggestions.

DozierJLUS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S

Do you have any pictures of the back up lights in use?

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any pictures of the back up lights in use?
No, sorry. I havent been too up on Jeep Pics. But, i have plenty of Straight Razor restoration pics. My prime hobby.
Sponsored