Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler JL vs Lexus LX, Mercedes G-Class, Land Rover Discovery (Motortrend Comparison Review)

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Really what’s the big deal, as if anybody couldn’t have guessed who would have come out on top? The Jeep’s heritage comes from purely rugged off-road DNA, where all the others come from a luxurious background with an attempt to make them off-road worthy.

The JLUR was finally upgraded to a more plush on road friendly oriented disposition for 2018, keeping its off-road capacity.

Land Rover used to have its Defender which was a rugged off-roader. Toyota’s last competition to the Wrangler was the FJ40. The FJ Cruiser was a joke. I won’t even comment on what a Mercedes can’t bring to the table.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Enjoyable read. Interesting that the Wrangler looked to be the weakest on specs but finished on top.

Unfortunately, the article does lose some integrity with the photo gallery featuring a Jeep ad on the right and a Jeep ad every four or so pictures.

And I thought the Jeep was pricey until I saw the MSRP on that Mercedes! It should be heads and shoulders above the competition in ALL categories at that price.
Likely based on all the Jeep cookies in your browser.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
all the others come from a luxurious background with an attempt to make them off-road worthy.
One must not be so quick to discount the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Mercedes G-Wagen. Both are exceedingly good mechanically for off road driving. They have just had leather and wood trim thrown at them and suffer from a staggeringly high pricetag. Honestly I'd love to take my boss's LX570 on a trail with some good A/T tires. But... I think I got a much better deal at 3/8ths the price of his Lexus. :giggle:

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
While I have a lot of respect for the Rubicon off-road capabilities, as previous owner of LX and land cruisers, I can tell you Jeep's reliability can be questionable when you put it up against Toyota made vehicles. Just curious how many out there with JKs have had engine or transmission issues at 50K, 70K or 100K miles? Will these issues repeat itself in the JL?

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
I think a lot of you guys are missing the point. I think they just wanted to go out there, and see which one they liked driving the most both on and off-road. That’s it. Which one they liked more. Not getting into specs, price, or anything like that. Just which one they liked the most.

(And the Wrangler won, did y’all even read the article?)

Also, with the exception of the Benz, the Jeep, Lexus and Land Rover are definitely in the ball park of each other on price (rubicons are around 50k cars now...).

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know if you can make it out but license plate says ntajeep, everyone I ran into would say nice Jeep, finally the wife talked me into the plate:)

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think a lot of you guys are missing the point. I think they just wanted to go out there, and see which one they liked driving the most both on and off-road. That’s it. Which one they liked more. Not getting into specs, price, or anything like that. Just which one they liked the most.

(And the Wrangler won, did y’all even read the article?)

Also, with the exception of the Benz, the Jeep, Lexus and Land Rover are definitely in the ball park of each other on price (rubicons are around 50k cars now...).
The lexus starts at 85K.... Starting at 30 thousandish above a fully optioned out Wrangler really isn't in the "Ballpark"

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
1974, I bought it on it’s death bed in 1995 and restored it.
Pretty great job you did on that restoration. And yes I can make out the licence plate... very clever, lol.

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
The lexus starts at 85K.... Starting at 30 thousandish above a fully optioned out Wrangler really isn't in the "Ballpark"
Didn’t think the Lexus was that high.

Regardless, so what? They picked the wrangler. What are y’all picking at?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t think the Lexus was that high.

Regardless, so what? They picked the wrangler. What are y’all picking at?
its a simple discussion, that is all.
Sponsored