Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Utility and fun brought me to Jeep.

My automotive life started with my first car bought in the late 1980's, a $900 1965 Mustang I got while in college. Going on fishing trips to the U.P. (Michigan), with canoe on top trying to find some backwoods lakes, I was getting stuck, and put a dent in my floorpan. So for $700 I bought a 1976 2 wheel drive Datsun pickup. That was a big improvement in terms of ground clearance and also better mud tire traction. But it only held two people and I was still running into some issues getting stuck. And it had an infamous homemade particle board passenger side floor pan, which a friend eventually put his foot through, so we could see the front tire rolling from inside the cab.

Around that time a friend bought a 1980 CJ-7, and I realized quickly how nice it was off-road in terms of 4 wheel drive, sight lines with top/doors off, and flexibility. So for $6000 I bought a 1985 CJ-7. Drove that thing all over the country, including 10 years living in Colorado. Rocky Mountain trails, Moab, etc. Along the way picked up a 1970 CJ-5 for $1400 and a 1972 Series III 88 Land Rover for $6000. Taught myself to work on cars, mig weld, etc.

If I drop the dime on a new JL, it will be because the JLU offers 4 doors and more space than my current old 4x4s. It should cover longer distances in greater comfort than having my family of 4 and gear piled into our CJ-7 for the drive from Chicago to Colorado. Also I have let my old 4x4s deteriorate the past 5 years (something I am now in the process of correcting), and so one new vehicle (JLU) could be a nice addition.

On the other hand, my views on materialism and relationship with money might be very different than some other people here. Definitely they are different from most everyone I personally know. I am a firm believer that everything you own, in some way owns you. The more expense - the more the thing tends to own you. So that will come into play. But yeah, I like what I have seen of the JLU, tried to see one locally last weekend but dealership must have sold it. Plan to see and test drive - and maybe buy one. Go Jeep!
Sponsored

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
For me, my love affair with Jeeps began when I was a child. My Mother got me a toy CJ made of metal, with rubber tires, a working transmission (forward/reverse), a working steering wheel and 4 wheel drive. It had a key wind, and was more fun than any toy I had at the time. It would go through sand, grass, mud, snow. Now, I am much older, but that Jeep is still part of me. The new Wrangler JLU is the culmination of a love affair that started with that toy jeep.

Jethris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2106 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Tonka + Macgyver and some other movies !:)
MacGyver did it for me. He drove a Jeep for the first several seasons. And as a 13 year old boy, he was COOL.

I remember one quote:
Mac: I set a land speed record getting here
Other guy: Not in that thing.

I test drove a 1994 from the AAFES sales guy in Europe. It was louder than my current BMW, but I bought a 1994 YJ for 14K brand new and had it delivered to Colorado where I was stationed next. It was a 2.5 L, and going up I-70 was a PAIN. But, I could get offroad away from the idiots, and loved it.

I also got quite a few dates because of it!

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
Flipper+TV+Series+1964-1967+Ep+1.28.jpg

From the TV show Flipper. The Gladiator had the most style of any pick up at the time
Well, I'll be! I remember "Flipper," but not the Jeep truck? I had a friend in Nursing School whom had a Jeep truck, but it was the next generation, the Comanchee.

Sponsored

johnnyjeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon
I got a TJ in 99. Perfect car for Ohio. Snow monster in the winter and top off all summer long. Got such a bare bones model that it didnā€™t even come with a radio! Big difference from the Rubi that I just ordered. Canā€™t wait to get back in a Jeep.

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
When I was a kid in the 70s a neighbour at the cottage had an old Red & White Jeepster, and it looked great, and the first time I got to ride shotgun, I was hooked.
TV show Rat Patrol also compounded it with all the Jeeps on the dunes.

Had a Red YJ in High School, then came back to the fold with the JKU and got a Red Sahara.

Plus Jeeps get all the chicks ! :dance:

F440BD92-F961-4E47-A726-D75DC4CFC8A7.jpeg
Since I've been on this site, I get a kick out of that pic you use for your profile picture, Grape Ape. It reminds me of one of my favorite old hockey players, Carol Vadnais. No, the resemblance is only faint, but the expression and the fact that the profile has the Bruin's jersey. I remember being in awe, asking him for his autograph as he sat there at a table with a big, "Sh!+ eating" grin on his face, beer in one hand, and huge stogie sticking out of his mouth (LOL)! He looked like he really ENJOYED the role of being a "Hockey star?"

ParkerS12

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jku Sahara 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
I turned 4 when powerwheels came out and mine just happened to be a red Jeep with kc lights. I fell in love with it. I drove it around the yard everyday. Since then Iā€™ve been a Jeep fanboy. My first real Jeep was a white jku and I loved it. Itā€™s iconic yet everyoneā€™s Jeep is a little different, itā€™s easy to work on, itā€™s a blast on the trails, beach, rock garden, or mud hole, and it has the best spg (smiles per gallon) of any vehicle out there. Itā€™s also great being a part of the Jeep community and I canā€™t wait to get in my jl and out on the trails.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
MacGyver did it for me. He drove a Jeep for the first several seasons. And as a 13 year old boy, he was COOL.

I remember one quote:
Mac: I set a land speed record getting here
Other guy: Not in that thing.

I test drove a 1994 from the AAFES sales guy in Europe. It was louder than my current BMW, but I bought a 1994 YJ for 14K brand new and had it delivered to Colorado where I was stationed next. It was a 2.5 L, and going up I-70 was a PAIN. But, I could get offroad away from the idiots, and loved it.

I also got quite a few dates because of it!
You saved the most important reason for last! :)

loco

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrangler 2dr sport S
In 1989 I lived in Boca Raton Fl. and had a trailered 2 1/2 ton offshore fishing boat. I burned the clutch out of my 2 wheel truck pulling the boat out of the landing ramps. Needed a 4wd so I settled for a 4wd Cherokee 2dr Sport. Plus I used to tow the boat down to the keys and up to my island in the panhandle of Florida. Can't beat Jeeps, can't get stuck in the sand. Had jeeps every since. Just ordered my 4th, a 2018 JLU Sahara. My second jeep was rolled by my son's daughter. Air bags deployed seat belts on and she walked away with 8 stitches,

98jeep.jpg

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
My first job out of college....my boss had a Cherokee Laredo....every now and then on way back from lunch he would just all the sudden jump on a dirt road off the side of the main raid and take us thru some quick trails in the area. My first new car purchase after college and having a job was a Cherokee......enjoyed the hell out of it....and all the sudden there were 2 vehicle loads of guys form work taking a extra long lunch break.....but it felt wrong doing that in Florida with a damn roof.......so after running that Cherokee into the ground....its was Wrangler time :) Only driven Wranglers since then. If I end up getting a JLU someday, it will mostly likely be my last vehicle.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd

Bones

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I got a TJ in 99. Perfect car for Ohio. Snow monster in the winter and top off all summer long. Got such a bare bones model that it didnā€™t even come with a radio! Big difference from the Rubi that I just ordered. Canā€™t wait to get back in a Jeep.
@johnnyjeep made me get one. :captain:

jeepfandotcom

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepfan.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Grey JLUR 4xe, 2004 TJ, 1978 CJ-5
For me it was when my father bought a 1970 CJ-5 in 1972. This Jeep would eventually become mine in 1985. Ever since then I have been obsessed. My new Firecracker Rubicon will be my 10th ā€œremovable topā€ Jeep...add in a few parts Jeeps, an XJ and Liberty. Iā€™ll pick up my JL on Thursday...it will be a long two days.

70CJ5PAS.jpg

Chevy 350 in a 1970 CJ-5 plus a 16 year old at the wheel. Fun times.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
We were in the market for a 4x4 with a manual tranny when our Pathfinder was about to die. There were only two choices at the time: Wrangler or Exterra. It turned out the boys at the Nissan dealer just did not want to deal at all. No brainer to go with Wrangler, even got Affiliate Rewards discount. Been thru 4 of them now and have loved them all. The new JL is just plain awesome!
Sponsored