Hooker Blackheart Axle-Back Exhaust

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
Being a little disgusted at the prices of some of the exhaust systems available for the JL's, I thought I'd do a little searching tonight to see if maybe there is a company out there that I had overlooked that made an axle back.

Having purchased a few goodies from Hooker in the past for my Vette, I thought I'd see if they happen to have anything for the JL, and it looks like they just came out with a full cat back, axle back w/muffler, and an axle back w/o muffler.

I just ordered the axle back w/ muffler (BH5410), so I'll do my best to keep this thread updated with some pics & videos of it when it arrives. It's not cheap @ $305, but a little less painful than some of the others.

HookerFull.jpg

HookerAB.jpg

HookerStraight.jpg
Sponsored

CalsJLUR

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us updated!

OP
OP
cohocarl

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the axle-back Sunday evening, and it was delivered Wednesday.
I got it put on yesterday and made a couple videos both stock and with the Hooker installed to compare the two back to back. (at least that's what I intended...)

In the video, there is a hobby quality DB meter, and I put one of the stickers that came with the exhaust just to the right of the LCD display to indicate what exhaust I was hearing when playing back the video.

Install went perfect. Getting the stock muffler off due to the rubber hangers being a pain to get off (lube helps a lot, but still a pain).

Overall, I like the tone, but it could be a few DB louder. The muffler is a "straight through" design, and will most likely become somewhat louder over time due to the packing settling or blowing out. It's a little louder than stock, but not a whole lot.

HE.jpg

HEin.jpg

HEDB.jpg

Last edited:

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Install went perfect. Getting the stock muffler off due to the rubber hangers being a pain to get off (lube helps a lot, but still a pain).

Overall, I like the tone, but it could be a few DB louder. The muffler is a "straight through" design, and will most likely become somewhat louder over time due to the packing settling or blowing out. It's a little louder than stock, but not a whole lot.
Noise is a subjective thing and your neighbours will thank you for not getting a screamer. You're right about the lube and I'd check on the rubber regularly since it's a cheap Hooker.

yz kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
Thanks for the info! I’m curious on the sound levels and tone of the axle back without muffler

Sponsored

OP
OP
cohocarl

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sound levels and tone of the axle back without muffler
I didn't think about doing that at the time...I should have.

Oh ya...and forgot to mention. NO drone.

inn8ive

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Technical Director
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased the Hooker BlackHeart axle-back without muffler and, although I think it sounds great, it’s a little bit loud on the highway after putting 35s on my Sahara. I barely see 8th gear on the highway and it’s a little drone-ey in the high/mid revs. Overall I’m very pleased with the quality and fit of the pipe and the way it exhausts below the rear bumper. It’s really nicely tucked up there.

It’s lots of fun around town and sounds surprisingly beefy on the 3.6L. Before I put on the 35s it was perfect.

There are some videos on YouTube of JLs of the Flowmaster and Magna Flow muffler delete axle-back pipes, and this one is built and sounds almost identical to those.

Long story short, I ended up ordering the Hooker BH cat-back with muffler since I do lots of highway driving and it will be delivered this week. I’m hoping it will kill the drone but still give some nice volume and notes when desired.

I’ll try to do some before/after comparison videos and sound clips of the two systems. I’m also hoping I don’t end up reinstalling the stock muffler. Fingers crossed!

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am very intrigued about the blackheart catback. I have a Maganflow Rock Crawler Catback and it drones in lower gears especially when going up hills. dB wise its fine throughout the RPM range maxing between 79-81. It idles in the low 60s. The drone is the problem. If this blackheart doesn't drone and already reads like a quieter muffler it could be a winner.

inn8ive

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Technical Director
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Blackheart Cat Back today. I only took it around the block, but my first impression is that it's still pretty loud. I'm taking it out on the highway this afternoon to see what/if any difference it makes over the muffler delete pipe. There is also a small leak at the band clamp where it attaches to the stock Y pipe. Probably an error on my part, but frustrating nonetheless. Fingers still crossed!

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I installed the Blackheart Cat Back today. I only took it around the block, but my first impression is that it's still pretty loud. I'm taking it out on the highway this afternoon to see what/if any difference it makes over the muffler delete pipe. There is also a small leak at the band clamp where it attaches to the stock Y pipe. Probably an error on my part, but frustrating nonetheless. Fingers still crossed!

Thanks for the update. Bummer its loud. I would imagine the catback is louder.

Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Any updates on the new exhaust? How did the highway drive go?

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update. Bummer its loud. I would imagine the catback is louder.
catback is actually quieter due to fact that it actually has a muffler. If you remove just the stock muffler you are just left with a resonator and a resonator does not quiet the exhaust as much as a muffler

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
catback is actually quieter due to fact that it actually has a muffler. If you remove just the stock muffler you are just left with a resonator and a resonator does not quiet the exhaust as much as a muffler
Great.

How do you like where the tail pipe extends. In the pictures it looks to run past rear bumper by a smidge.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Not to harshen your buzz, but I just don't understand the need to put on an aftermarket exhaust system on a Jeep. The performance gain's are likely very marginal vs the cost of the system, and other mods needed to extract a few extra ponies. Then I guess the other reason would be sound. However, it's a V6, not a V8. Granted if it were a V8 motor I would certainly understand. I don't consider this motor a particularly good sounding motor to say my straight 6 BMW N55 motor would be with a decent exhaust, or perhaps even 6's or even 4 bangers. Call me confused I guess, to each his/her own.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Great.

How do you like where the tail pipe extends. In the pictures it looks to run past rear bumper by a smidge.
i dont have the hooker cat back. Just letting you know that most catbacks will be quieter than stock with rear muffler removed.

@LincolnSixAlpha Its not about sound / power / etc. Its about finding a solution that allows you to remove the stock muffler since it breaks after dropping it on some rocks.
Sponsored