Best Ski rack to put on wrangler?

Bill ski

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Sorry about late response. The jeep is a new toy, and the "wave" and other is being learned...
Here is a Pic from the side which shows how I attached it. Basically it hangs on the tire with a cradle of chain.

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
;)I much prefer the traction this setup provides

Wait...did you say skis on a Wrangler or ski rack on a Wrangler...I'm confused.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Do you have a painted roof? Worried about damaging mine...
Gene...I haven't heard of the MOPAR rain gutter mounts (that is if you're running a hard top: a requirement for this rack) causing much damage, and...

As I understand it, we who run hard tops all have painted tops..even those of us without the body colored matching ones. I hear the black paint is different on body colored tops of black colored rigs, but everyone has paint.

There's always racks that don't connect to the roof or that do connect to a hitch....

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Do you have a painted roof? Worried about damaging mine...
Mine is the standard black top. No issues with the rack mounts messing with the paint anywhere.

Sponsored

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Mine is the standard black top. No issues with the rack mounts messing with the paint anywhere.
I was debating the black top for that reason but I thought the color matching one looked better, gonna put some PPF where I mount and I should be good to go.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Gene...I haven't heard of the MOPAR rain gutter mounts (that is if you're running a hard top: a requirement for this rack) causing much damage, and...

As I understand it, we who run hard tops all have painted tops..even those of us without the body colored matching ones. I hear the black paint is different on body colored tops of black colored rigs, but everyone has paint.

There's always racks that don't connect to the roof or that do connect to a hitch....
thought about using the hitch but I already own ski/board holders and a Thule box so I gotta get rails up top.

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
I’m interested in some options for the 2 door model, I plan on running my hard top in the winter and am hoping I can put a ski rack on it, not sure if the Thule clamps can attach on the freedom panels for the front or if both rails have to clamp towards the rear of the hard top.
I won’t be removing the freedom panels all winter so that wouldn’t be an issue.
Anyone have any experience with the 2 door racks?
I was wondering if anyone had tried to install racks on a 2 door JL as Blammmo asked? I assume the front crossbar would have to attach to the Freedom Panels.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer

Blammmo_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr Rubicon
So, for those of you that have the hitch mounted ski/snowboard rack, do the skis get loaded up with salt/sand from the road on your trip to the ski hill?
I know my tailgate and rear window are covered in it after a light snow or if the roads have been recently treated.
I’m sure I could use a ski bag if needed to keep them clean?

Sponsored

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
So, for those of you that have the hitch mounted ski/snowboard rack, do the skis get loaded up with salt/sand from the road on your trip to the ski hill?
I know my tailgate and rear window are covered in it after a light snow or if the roads have been recently treated.
I’m sure I could use a ski bag if needed to keep them clean?
The bottom portion does get salt on them. I usually clean them off after returning home. Haven't had issues with my board for the past 3 years of using the hitch rack. You could use a thin bag or some sort of sleeve to at least cover the bottom.

Slopeside

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I went with the Mopar Removable Roof Rack and Yakima FatCat 6 Evo combo and love it. My office building has a low garage clearance (for a Jeep at least) so this kept my ride height lower than other options. I had to move my cargo carrier from my old WJ to my girlfriend's KL because of this but if you're not regularly in parking in garages, I'd highly recommend looking into a cargo carrier for their multi-season purpose.

Mopar Removable Roof Rack
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

Yakima FatCat 6 Evo
https://www.yakima.com/fatcat-6-evo

Thule Force XL Roof Box
https://www.rei.com/product/851053/thule-force-xl-roof-box

slopeside 1.jpg

slopeside 2.jpg

gfo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara

rdrjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
I went with the Mopar Removable Roof Rack and Yakima FatCat 6 Evo combo and love it. My office building has a low garage clearance (for a Jeep at least) so this kept my ride height lower than other options. I had to move my cargo carrier from my old WJ to my girlfriend's KL because of this but if you're not regularly in parking in garages, I'd highly recommend looking into a cargo carrier for their multi-season purpose.

Mopar Removable Roof Rack
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

Yakima FatCat 6 Evo
https://www.yakima.com/fatcat-6-evo

Thule Force XL Roof Box
https://www.rei.com/product/851053/thule-force-xl-roof-box

slopeside 1.jpg

slopeside 2.jpg
Do you have a picture of your Thule Force XL roof box on the Wrangler?

Slopeside

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I might be swapping it on tonight to head up to Winter Park for the weekend @rdrjohn, if I do I'll get a few photos to share on here.
Sponsored