Washing the Jeep

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I always have trouble with drying my jeep. I have two large microfiber towels for drying but so much water stays on after the wash that when i try to wipe it down the towels get soaked and i can never truly dry it quickly. In videos the ppl hold two ends of the towel and lightly drag it across the vehicle and its bone dry........that's not my case. The towels are older and im new to washing/waxing (since now i have something i want to take care of), should i get new towels? Maybe have like 5 microfiber towels to rotate once one get damp? Any suggestions? I did first wax last week, will water bead off better with more wax's?
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I just use some retired bath towels. It usually takes two large ones. The only issue is the lint left behind. For that, i just do a quick swipe with a dry towel. Fast and easy.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me add this one thing. Water will bead better, with a good wax. The water will pool, on the flat surfaces, which means more towels . The vehicle will also stay cleaner, with a good wax. Dirt and dust will sluff off better.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I only use two small microfibers. I use one to get most of the water off and keep wringing it out. The second towel is to follow and actually dry. Towards the end, the second towel gets pretty damp.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I started using a leaf blower to dry after a wash. Works much better than towels, avoids scratches and get the water out of all the tight areas.
I got lazy a few times, and did that with the wifes car. She never new. :giggle:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Stihl Handheld Blower first, then a soft microfiber towel. Drys the JL, quick and easily.

bg50.png

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I started using a leaf blower to dry after a wash. Works much better than towels, avoids scratches and get the water out of all the tight areas.
I was debating on getting one. I have a wet/dry vac i may use as a blower and see if it can at least get the majority of water off to help.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Wash one panel at a time using a good rinseless wash like Optimum No-Rinse. You dry one panel at a time, after washing, and life is good.
When i try to do one panel at a time its impossible to not spray other panels and then your re-drying previous panels, etc.... I live in Florida so drying quick is important, i ijust wish it was as easy as "one panel at a time"

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I use a synthetic chamois. I used to use actual leather hide chamois, but the synthetic one works better. I'm sure there are a ton of variations, but I use "The Absorber" (LINK). You can probably find them at most automotive stores, but they're on Amazon for $12, and I've been using the same one for years, without it losing effectiveness.

I don't do the 2 handed drape and drag like they show on commercials. I guess that works, but it seems like that would only work on the hood. I just wad it up like a normal chamois, and wipe the water away. It gets wet, you wring it out, and wipe again if needed. Some times it takes two passes. For example, I'll wipe the entire hood, which gets the majority of the water off. Wring out the "towel" then wipe the hood again for a dry surface. Areas where the water doesn't pool, like on the doors, will only take one pass.
When I'm done, I wring out the absorber, roll it up and store it in the tube. I use it damp, just like a leather chamois.

BostonJohn13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 05 Wrangler Unlimited
I use a spray on wax such as Hydro or Griot's when drying with a waffle towel. The wax really aids in the drying process and I find I only need 2 towels.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Shots
I have a couple of the Absorbers you speak of. They work great... but, less finish damage using a blower and Mico fiber towel.

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
Hose it down, hit the freeway for 5-10 minutes...
Sponsored