Sponsored

How many of you Manual JLs out there like your 6speed?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
JLU sport here...short answer is manual-absolutely! But I think weā€™re all on that side.
What I have noticed is during these past 3 months and almost 6,000 miles is the vehicle has become easier to drive. When it was new, the clutch was so powder puff lite that I just hoped it didnā€™t stall (and stall it did, with great ease). 6th gear became fantasy-land and I found myself never allowing the engine below 2,000 rpm. It would simply not accelerate. Comparatively, my previous vehicle, a ā€˜14 Mazda 3 HB had zero need for a 4th gear, and cruised in 6th easily at 45 along these flat Arizona mesaways.
But! Now with some actual break-in miles of just about everything a Jeep does, the vehicle has come into itā€™s own. Clutch take-up has an actual point, I am stalling less often and, dare I say, the 3.6 is getting loose and power has evened itself out nicely. This engine wants you to juice it up to 4,500 and even beyond, and I do abide lol. 6th gear is even a thing!
One thing I have noticed is during a rip in 2nd gear, going to 3rd it kinda catches...the Mazda did the same thing so maybe itā€™s a cable shifter thing. Yes, the JL stick is a cable-shift.
I couldn't agree more about how non linear it feels. I love manuals and have had many even in my 3500. I daily mine, and it just makes the jeep feel heavy and slow. I get it's not a race car, but it doesn't feel as light as the 8 speed.
I was thinking mine is a bit heavy and slow. The auto is more more smooth. But I wanted the manual for well, nostalgia I guess and to teach my son to drive it. Plus in my mind jeeps were always manuals back in the days of old....

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
I love it. Coming from a JK stick, this thing is agile compared to that and much quicker. Zero complaints (except for the second to third shift being a little finicky sometimes)

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I picked up my 2-door 6-speed yesterday! When we got in for a test drive I thought it only right to warn the lady that I hadn't driven stick in over 30 years. She gave out a nervous laugh and said, "Oh...but you've been practicing, right?" I said, "Nope. Literally, over 30 years." And off we went.

It was and is fantastic. I managed not to stall and had mostly smooth transitions. Shifting is smooth and defined and the clutch pedal is easy to work. I look forward to improving and am so happy I opted for the manual transmission!

20181228_153656.jpg

RubiFarmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Just ordered my MT JLU Rubicon and couldnā€™t be more excited. I feel like a kid the night before Christmas, the only issue is that I have to wait 6 more weeks! There was no question when it came to what kind of transmission to get, but I am worried about having enough power. I want to put 35ā€™s on at least and possibly 37ā€™s but donā€™t want to open a huge can of worms and have to get into regearing or having poor braking distance. I live in a valley and frequent the mountains a lot 4000-8500 ft in elevation. I have seen plenty of threads that guys are running 35-37 without regearing and are just fine but attribute it to the 8speed auto. Anyone out there have any advice?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered my MT JLU Rubicon and couldnā€™t be more excited. I feel like a kid the night before Christmas, the only issue is that I have to wait 6 more weeks! There was no question when it came to what kind of transmission to get, but I am worried about having enough power. I want to put 35ā€™s on at least and possibly 37ā€™s but donā€™t want to open a huge can of worms and have to get into regearing or having poor braking distance. I live in a valley and frequent the mountains a lot 4000-8500 ft in elevation. I have seen plenty of threads that guys are running 35-37 without regearing and are just fine but attribute it to the 8speed auto. Anyone out there have any advice?
The manual is just as quick (some tests show it to be quicker, ie Motor Trend) as the automatic. The manual Rubi with the 4.10 gears is great with 35's. Until the 2.0, it was the quickest Wrangler ever made from 0-60. The power is just fine and it gets better as it breaks in. Mine has no issue at all pulling 35's all day long. I tow a fishing boat with it, too.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The manual is just as quick (some tests show it to be quicker, ie Motor Trend) as the automatic. The manual Rubi with the 4.10 gears is great with 35's. Until the 2.0, it was the quickest Wrangler ever made from 0-60. The power is just fine and it gets better as it breaks in. Mine has no issue at all pulling 35's all day long. I tow a fishing boat with it, too.
^ This. Ignore the handful of posts that say 1st is a useless granny gear, that it has no power, etc. Iā€™m convinced those posts were made by Miata owners, or something, who expect a Wrangler to drive like a sports car. My 2dr Rubi has more power and speed off the line than any Wrangler Iā€™ve ever driven. Itā€™s phenomenal.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ This. Ignore the handful of posts that say 1st is a useless granny gear, that it has no power, etc. Iā€™m convinced those posts were made by Miata owners, or something, who expect a Wrangler to drive like a sports car. My 2dr Rubi has more power and speed of the line than any Wrangler Iā€™ve ever driven. Itā€™s phenomenal.
Or, people don't realy know how to drive a manual, which is common. Mine feels downright quick on 35's. It is a real kick in the pants in first gear.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Or, people don't realy know how to drive a manual, which is common.
I didnā€™t want to come out and say that, but yes!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I didnā€™t want to come out and say that, but yes!
Yeah, it isn't meant as disrespect, but as an honest reason why some have trouble with it. Just making a vehicle go isn't all there is to properly employing a manual transmission. For one thing, people tend to shift way too early when on the power. They are afraid to go near redline. In an engine that revs so freely and gets its horsepower higher in the band, this is essential. This thing pulls strong right up to redline. Don't worry if you go over. It will cut off and protect itself. I know because it rips through first gear so fast, it once caught me off guard and sailed right into redline and then it cut. No harm no foul. The 8 speed just does what some can't with a manual, and that is to keep the engine in its power band, so they think it is quicker.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
This 6-speed operates just fine when shifting between 2500 and 3500 RPM--

For normal economic driving, there's no reason to ever take her to the "REDLINE"-

The only REAL ACCIDENTAL chance for "REDLINE", is 4lo/1st gear-or racing !

W/E/

JIMBO

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This 6-speed operates just fine when shifting between 2500 and 3500 RPM--

For normal economic driving, there's no reason to ever take her to the "REDLINE"-

The only REAL ACCIDENTAL chance for "REDLINE", is 4lo/1st gear-or racing !

W/E/

JIMBO
I wasn't talking about economical driving, but yeah, it works fine shifting that way for that purpose. I was talking about max power and acelleration.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I can digit--although I imagine when you're trying to "JUMP" on the freeway it'll take some 5K RPM+++ to "CATCHUP"--

Of course I didn't mention that, because I don't drive in traffic and when I HAVE TO--I use my RAM(5.7L/8spd)-

Great day in the morning !

JIMBO

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I think I donā€™t rev it enough taking off. Perhaps I need to punch it a little.

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon
This thing drives like a race car compared to my JK.

Plus It doesnt look like my shifter is going to jump out of gear simply driving on a perfectly flat highway.

Its amazing for a Jeep
Sponsored