Sponsored

Blacking out the grill

cargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLU Sahara
2nd time's a charm with plastidip...Did 3 lighter coats and 3 heavier coats. Very pleased..
ldgPO4u.jpg
oh man that looks really good. I need to redo mine now. Its definitely uneven like your first go. Did you warm the cans like other post suggested?

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I tried plastidip, till I got my first rock chip. So I just bedlined. it. It's damn near bulletproof now. Can pressure wash, scrub, no problems.

bedline grill.jpg

otisroy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
The bedliner looks good. I think I'd go that route if it wasn't stupid humid here and I thought I could get nice consistent coats.

I called a body shop in town to see what they'd charge me to paint and clearcoat it in satin black. He said about $100 if I bring it in to them. That beats the $300+ for the MOPAR grill and trim pieces needed for Sports and Saharas.

I'm dragging my feet hoping the aftermarket LED headlights will be available and I can kill two birds with one stone while I have the grill off.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
oh man that looks really good. I need to redo mine now. Its definitely uneven like your first go. Did you warm the cans like other post suggested?
Yeah...warmed them in water for about 10 min and also sprayed it at night in the garage when temps were in the 70s with lower humidity. Much better than my first attempt

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I tried plastidip, till I got my first rock chip. So I just bedlined. it. It's damn near bulletproof now. Can pressure wash, scrub, no problems.

bedline grill.jpg
Did you use bedliner spray paint and do it yourself? Is the texture alot rougher than plastidip? I got a quote from a rhino liner place to do it for $50, but didnt like the rough texture look when I saw their samples.

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Did you use bedliner spray paint and do it yourself? Is the texture alot rougher than plastidip? I got a quote from a rhino liner place to do it for $50, but didnt like the rough texture look when I saw their samples.
I used duplicolor bedliner and did it myself. It is a little bit rougher than plastidip, but no where near as bad as rhino liner. I zoomed in on a pic from my phone and took a screenshot of it. Not the best quality....

bumper zoom in.jpg

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
I used duplicolor bedliner and did it myself. It is a little bit rougher than plastidip, but no where near as bad as rhino liner. I zoomed in on a pic from my phone and took a screenshot of it. Not the best quality....

bumper zoom in.jpg
That looks great! I want my entire jeep to look like your grill (my order is currently in D1 status). Does the the duplicolor bed liner come off, or is it permanent? I’m trying to figure out what to do. I love the “somewhat rough” look, but not sure I’ll want it forever on the entire thing.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

bumper zoom in.jpg
I'm 3 months in and plasti dip is still looking good after 5+ car washes and hitting it with scrub brush to get off bugs. I'll prob go with your bedliner next.

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
no...it doesn't come off. it is on there for good.

That looks great! I want my entire jeep to look like your grill (my order is currently in D1 status). Does the the duplicolor bed liner come off, or is it permanent? I’m trying to figure out what to do. I love the “somewhat rough” look, but not sure I’ll want it forever on the entire thing.

Sponsored

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
More photos please!
Where did you get this, and did you do it yourself?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

am1978

Threads