Sponsored

Is a Wrangler really what I'm looking for?

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Hate to sound like a broken record but there is a ton of good advice. Buy a low mileage I have bought ones with under 50k miles for 11k or so, they have great motors 4.0 and are super simple to work on. Don't buy a 35k dollar car when you aren't making real money yet.
Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
At school, I'm studying to be a Geologist. My dream is, once I'm done with school, to move out west to somewhere like Wyoming and work for the Park Service or something. Where I can get out and work with a big sky overhead. I'm also an angler who is looking to expand his spinning gear to learning to fly fish (especially if I move out west and can get near some trout waters) as well as a Rucker (currently using a 20lb weight while I hike around). I'm also looking into getting a kayak since I'm currently shore bound as an angler.
If you do end up out west - definitely get some type of 4x4 open top vehicle like the Wrangler. I enjoyed my decade in Colorado immensely exploring the mountain trails, and my CJs and Land Rover were a key part of that. If not a new JL, then as suggested maybe a used JK. I would say maybe CJ or other old 4x4, but last couple summers in Colorado I noticed the old CJ/FJ/Broncos were getting fewer and far between. Great thing about an older 4x4 is you can have a lot of fun and not care about bumps, scratches or crushed sheetmetal. And all you need is liability insurance with lower yearly registration as well in some states. Everything you own - in some way owns you. And a $40 grand vehicle really owns you, lol. But regardless - get an open top Jeep and enjoy the exploring!

Crazyramses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Bright White
CybrSlydr first off thank you for your service.

I Traded a 2003 Z4 when I decided to finally get my first wrangler (always wanted one). So I understand where you are coming from.

Before I did my friend had me drive his lifted JKU to make sure I knew the difference. A few months later I went for it and have not regretted it. I have had it a little over 2 years and not a single issue. Honestly it had less issues than my z4 and that was amazing other than a problem with the top.

If you haven't driven one I suggest that you do. It is a completely different experience. And I say that as someone who has owned a 97 and 99 GC as well as a 01 Cherokee. The transition from Z4 to a Jeep vehicle was noticeable but honestly I prefer the ride of the wrangler over all the others I have owned... but I am probably just weird.

As for JL vs JK. After looking at the JL and getting an amazing offer for mine from my dealer I have pulled the trigger on a sport s. It has everything I need without overspending on capabilities I probably won't need for a while. (i'm still learning)

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for your service.

When i was young and single i had a 2-door jeep (YJ at the time). It was awesome. I loved that Jeep. Drove it all over. Did not take it off-road other than some mountain trails.

If you want the jeep and can afford it i don't think you will regret it.

Think about this - how many of the folks giving you advice here would have recommended your BMW? Would you rather have had a Honda Civic or something instead?

Jesus. You got your ankle jacked up by a damned bomb and they are telling you to be sensible? Screw that. Get what you want.

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3, Wrangler Rubicon TJ
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
Lol. Being sensible is what keeps the budget from being overwhelmed. :)

The more I think about it... The more I think I'm going to wait. While I can swing the finances, I think I'd rather wait until I get my post-school job. By then, it'll be another year into the model year, the diesel will be available (see if it's better than the V6) and I could get a blue one.

Sponsored

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
No worries, I understand where you're coming from - but I'm not your typical poster.

I'm 33 (34 in February) and am attending school through Vocational Rehab. I was medically discharged from the Army after an IED broke my ankle. So, on top of my monthly disability payment, I'm also receiving a monthly VA stipend for school (both tax free) and making $14/hr as a Library Assistant (I think I estimated I'll be pulling in about $17k before taxes just in my part-time job). While, yes, I am living with my folks (who agreed to let me stay if I was attending school - only 2 semesters left until I'm done after this one is over), I lived in Columbus on my own for close to 8 years before I enlisted and worked and paid rent and all that. So I'm not too concerned about making payments. I'm not a 20yr old playing at life with mommy and daddy's money. :)

Which used Wranglers would you suggest then? I'm fully open to getting something used - I just was asking about the JL since it was new and would retain it's value the longest. Just looking at the prices of JKs shows they retain value quite well.
Thank you for your service. I think Jeep's are great, I have owned so many I have lost count. You mentioned later that you would consider a TJ 97-2006, I would just keep your eye out for a good low mileage TJ 2003-2006 with the options you want. They are simple, they run forever and they go for a bit of a premium out west. So if you buy it right you should be able to drive it for a year and then flip it for something newer when you get out west and be ahead of the game. Another vehicle to consider, especially if you are moving out west is the Subaru. They are AWD and they are like crack to many of the people out west. It would be a good sensible car that again you could probably flip for more money if you buy it right.

Good luck with your studies and your decision.

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
CybrSlydr first off thank you for your service.

I Traded a 2003 Z4 when I decided to finally get my first wrangler (always wanted one). So I understand where you are coming from.

Before I did my friend had me drive his lifted JKU to make sure I knew the difference. A few months later I went for it and have not regretted it. I have had it a little over 2 years and not a single issue. Honestly it had less issues than my z4 and that was amazing other than a problem with the top.

If you haven't driven one I suggest that you do. It is a completely different experience. And I say that as someone who has owned a 97 and 99 GC as well as a 01 Cherokee. The transition from Z4 to a Jeep vehicle was noticeable but honestly I prefer the ride of the wrangler over all the others I have owned... but I am probably just weird.

As for JL vs JK. After looking at the JL and getting an amazing offer for mine from my dealer I have pulled the trigger on a sport s. It has everything I need without overspending on capabilities I probably won't need for a while. (i'm still learning)
I'm certainly interested in a test drive - I'm just waiting to see if my local dealer has any manual JLs in yet.

Also ended up getting some Conti ExtremeContact DWS for my rear tires today - getting installed tomorrow morning. $458 mounted and balanced. Wanted to get all 4 but couldn't quite stretch the budget in-between paychecks. Will probably get those next week. Sucks having big, fat tires when you need new ones. lol P225/45R18, rear: P255/40R18 Hopefully this will get me up and out so I can make it to class and work.

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
Thank you for your service. I think Jeep's are great, I have owned so many I have lost count. You mentioned later that you would consider a TJ 97-2006, I would just keep your eye out for a good low mileage TJ 2003-2006 with the options you want. They are simple, they run forever and they go for a bit of a premium out west. So if you buy it right you should be able to drive it for a year and then flip it for something newer when you get out west and be ahead of the game. Another vehicle to consider, especially if you are moving out west is the Subaru. They are AWD and they are like crack to many of the people out west. It would be a good sensible car that again you could probably flip for more money if you buy it right.

Good luck with your studies and your decision.
What trim level should I look for in the TJ?

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
E46 M3 in blue (what is yours, Interlagos?) is the "one that got away" for me. I lusted after that car in my 20s, but they barely depreciated and clean ones with low-moderate miles are now investment pieces, so my chance has passed (I'm not going to pay $40k+ for a ~12 year old car that is an endless money pit now). Every BMW since (except maybe the E92 M3) are totally unappealing to me. DON"T GET RID OF YOUR M3! You will spend the rest of your life looking for an engaging, small 2+2 coupe with a high-revving n/a engine, and you won't ever find it.

DWS is a great "acceptable in snow" all-season tire; my wife has them on her AWD Sienna, and it's a tank in snow. But the low ground clearance of the M3 still makes it a poor winter commuter. If I were you, I'd get a used winter beater that's cheap to maintain (Impreza, Matrix AWD, CRV, etc) until your income ramps up and your career path solidifies.

I have like 10x your household income and I feel like I couldn't afford to own both an older BMW and a new Jeep (and I don't mean that in a condescending way; just "keeping it real").

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They were all decent, Rubicon would be great at the right price, otherwise a sport or Sahara with a Dana 44 rear axle would be good. Good luck with your search.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
E46 M3 in blue (what is yours, Interlagos?) is the "one that got away" for me. I lusted after that car in my 20s, but they barely depreciated and clean ones with low-moderate are now investment pieces, so my chance has passed (I'm not going to pay $40k+ for a ~12 year old car that is an endless money pit now). Every BMW since (except maybe the E92 M3) are totally unappealing to me. DON"T GET RID OF YOUR M3! You will spend the rest of your life looking for an engaging, small 2+2 coupe with a high-revving n/a engine, and you won't ever find it.

DWS is a great "acceptable in snow" all-season tire; my wife has them on her AWD Sienna, and it's a tank in snow. But the low ground clearance of the M3 still makes it a poor winter commuter. If I were you, I'd get a used winter beater that's cheap to maintain (Impreza, Matrix AWD, CRV, etc) until your income ramps up and your career path solidifies.

I have like 10x your household income and I feel like I couldn't afford to own both an older BMW and a new Jeep (and I don't mean that in a condescending way; just "keeping it real").
I've been lucky with mine.

29379479106_37886ab90e_b-jpg.jpg

It's not cost me a ton in maintenance (though the $100 oil changes are annoying) so far - but it does need a little work. VANOS hub is still good, cooling system is good (though apparently the thermometer needs replacing), need to replace a steering angle sensor and flush some fluids - most likely my tax refund money is going to do most of that now. Then 2 new front tires and save up over the year to get some 17" wheels and true snow tires for next season.

You're right though - that 8300rpm redline, manual transmission... It's a joy to ride on the hilly roads out here. Put it in 3rd/4th gear and just WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... Good times. :)

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had a 2000 E46 coupe while living in New England. I've always had snows for my cars and the BMW went through everything Mother Nature threw at it including some ski trips up to NH and VT. With traction control, the car handled amazing well and was very reassuring.

However, the deeper the snow the more ground clearance you need. A Wrangler will have plenty of ground clearance for most snow situations and the four wheel drive with appropriate tires makes for a sure footed vehicle. If it's in your budget the Wrangler will be a year round vehicle (4 wheel drive for winter and top down for summer). If you plan to stick with the BMW, definitely invest in four snow tires.

dblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I would look at the TJ Unlimited/LWB/LJ/whatever you want to call it.
It's the TJ with a longer wheel base. Provided much more room in the cargo area.
Only produced from 2004-2006.
4.0s have been rock solid.