Audio system issue - cutting in and out

Trailhead Girl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
The new radio hasn't come in yet. Still waiting but I don't expect it to work after reading the experience of others.

The only good thing about the unseasonably warm weather here in Colorado is that I've only had the annoyance twice since I've been waiting, both times under 25 degrees. The other good thing is that the technician who pulled the AMP code is proactively staying in contact with me about the ordered radio and watching for TSB's.

I'm hopeful that there will be a software update before the radio comes in. I don't really want my vehicle disassembled again if that's not going to solve the problem.

@JeepCares The new weird thing that is happening, and I'm not sure it's related is this:

Phone call on UConnect
Vehicle shut off and call transferred back to cell phone
8.4 screen remains powered and bright even if I open the door, get out of the vehicle and lock it.

If I hang up, the power will then shut down. Not sure what happens if I just walk away and keep talking. Not sure if it disconnects with distance or not.

Junk show.
Sponsored

Nemesis17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spent some time at my dealership today about this. They have multiple vehicles like this some worse than others. They spent 2 hours on all the connectors and plugs and they have assured me that it is software related. According to them the sound cut out, CarPlay drop is in the software.

VAsahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Well,

So some say the radio stops when Aux battery runs system at stop. (My ess is disabled so I need to re-engage and try)

The radio works and starts cutting out after clutch movement thinking back.

When I pulled F97 it worked after putting it back.

So, the best I can tell is it’s with the electrical on F97 circuit or before in the charging/battery setup!

Knowing my start ups, and others working at stop signs, it must be not F97, but the charging system.

Our systems must be sporadically giving low or differing voltage causing UConnect issues. Seems to make sense!

What is the thought here, anyone come to the same hypothesis? If so does anyone know the ESS and charging system well?

Is there relays or voltage regulators that I could replace to potentially fix?

I don't know the charging system either but have wondered the same. Like I mentioned, when I start the vehicle there is a delay before the radio starts cutting out (maybe 30 seconds or so). I made sure to shut off all comfort switches so nothing like heated seats and/or steering wheel will kick in at the start, doesn't seem to matter. However as soon as you shut off the engine the radio starts playing normally until the the timer shuts off all power. Anyone tried a new battery other than a factory one? Not likely to work but nothing else has so far ...

jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
What happened with the appointment?
Trailhead I had to cancel it... I didn't have the time to let them mess with it all day and I figured I would wait for this supposed update or other more concrete answers.

heamick

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler JLU Rubicon
SAME ISSUE! I took it in for service and because they couldn't reproduce the problem they just sent me on my way after making me PAY $12 to drive a rental MINI VAN all weekend. Good gravy, I didn't buy a Rubicon to get stuck in a mini van all weekend AND pay for it. The next time the audio cut in and out it also created a glitch in the navigator that cut the radio to deliver directions but the navigation voice that is supposed to be heard at this point wasn't present at all, just silence, then back to music cutting in and out. I pulled over and shut down the engine to turn it back on in hopes of reset. Things just got worse. I tried to turn the radio down to zero but the radio kept playing albeit with the annoying cutting in and out so I decided to open the vehicle door to entirely kill the power. The power stayed on when I opened the door after the engine was shut down!! It only resets after the vehicle has been shut down for several hours. A week later the cutting in and out started again but this time it effected the backup camera. The camera works but the guidelines disappear. I too wonder if it is related to remote start because it seems like it only does it if I use remote start in the cold but not every time I use remote start. So, I don't know. it's an enigma.

My Rubicon has less than 3500 miles on it and I've already taken it in once for this. I called and SPOKE to the service contact Robbie at LHM Jeep on 104th in Westminster, Colorado and told him that the electrical issues were persisting and becoming worse. I asked him to research the problem with whatever information was available to him regarding this issue on my new enormously expensive vehicle and get back to me. That was Thursday Nov 9th. Today is the 19th and I still have yet to hear back from Robbie at LHM Jeep. I left a message on the morning of the 16th to have the service manager Jon Campbell please call me and specifically stated why. Today It's 2pm on the 19th and I haven't heard from him either. @JeepCares please help me out. Is this a battery/Uconnect reset issue? I'll try it. What exactly are the steps please? I really need some satisfaction on this issue because for $52K and I've only made two payments on it, I need the computer to work. The problems can be seen as a potential safety issue as they increase and persist in new and varying ways.

Issues:
1. Radio/XM/bluetooth audio cuts in and out
2. When audio cuts in and out it effects other systems i.e. Navigation and backup camera
3. When audio is cutting in and out it effects other electrical i.e. power stays on after engine turned off AND door has been opened.
4. Service department at LHM Jeep in Westminster, Colorado is completely non-responsive.

Thank you,
Really Sad New Jeep Owner
Have

have the same problem, is it worth telling service?

Sponsored

jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
Well, you can see my past posts!

The dealer had it for two days and ripped it apart testing everything while communicating with engineering.

There appears to have been some loose connections. Some of these needed to be RE tightened. It’s been working, and haven’t had it come back so far!

If you guys need help! Call Erick who is the service manager at Contemporary Jeep in Milford, NH. Maybe he can walk your techs through how they corrected mine.

Trust me, if it happens again, I will be screaming from the roof tops! They said the ones that were loose could cause such an issue, and they tested inconsistent.

So I finally feel good about this!
Hey JGoodhue,

How has your Uconnect been? No issues since the repair?

Mine is still acting up... mostly in the morning... also when my battery voltage is showing 14.7. When I start it up in the afternoon it works fine and the voltage is steady at 14... strangest and most annoying thing ever.

JGoodhue

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hey JGoodhue,

How has your Uconnect been? No issues since the repair?

Mine is still acting up... mostly in the morning... also when my battery voltage is showing 14.7. When I start it up in the afternoon it works fine and the voltage is steady at 14... strangest and most annoying thing ever.

JGoodhue

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Oh yeah that did not fix it.

The Jeep went back to Service again today, and the Aux Battery failed testing!!!!

Now, why they didn’t do a simple load test 2 months ago is beyond me, especially after pulling low voltage codes.

They replaced the aux battery, so we will see if it stays working.

5747kwk1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (TBT)
I have frozen my purchase of a new Jeep until I am assured that this issue has been resolved. Thanks so much for posting the status of this situation.

cbournis

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Went in for service yesterday... Got it back with no change... They are going to order me a new amplifier...

Sponsored

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
One thing I do (shouldn't have to do on a $50k vehicle) is occasionally look at the voltage indicator on the dash. In stop mode, it can get down to 12.0, but never lower than that. Service manager at the dealership told me that the battery was severely discharged. Charged it and load tested and all ok. Again, all is running smoothly since last Monday 12/10.
@Brent any update with the load tested and charged battery? I’m wondering if we can self resolve by getting a battery tender or even a new battery.

Brent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Ford F150, 2010 Camaro RS, 2008 Mazda MX5
@Brent any update with the load tested and charged battery? I’m wondering if we can self resolve by getting a battery tender or even a new battery.
So far so good...gonna be going into some below-zero temperatures early next week so we'll see if that could make a difference but this has been working fine since December 10.

jasmel4449

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I have the same issues with my 2018 Rubicon JLU audio system with all inputs... I have had it into service 1X without any ideas on fix nor could they replicate it (it was a warmer day that day). Firmware and all systems checked good with UConnect etc.
***I have observed that it generally only happens when the temp is about 20 Degrees or below. I have had a few weeks with no issues as we have been unseasonably warm here. Our temps are dropping today so we'll see if it starts up again.

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
So far so good...gonna be going into some below-zero temperatures early next week so we'll see if that could make a difference but this has been working fine since December 10.
Thanks @Brent . I think I’ll purchase a battery tender to charge my battery fully to see if this is the resolution.

Brent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Ford F150, 2010 Camaro RS, 2008 Mazda MX5
I have the same issues with my 2018 Rubicon JLU audio system with all inputs... I have had it into service 1X without any ideas on fix nor could they replicate it (it was a warmer day that day). Firmware and all systems checked good with UConnect etc.
***I have observed that it generally only happens when the temp is about 20 Degrees or below. I have had a few weeks with no issues as we have been unseasonably warm here. Our temps are dropping today so we'll see if it starts up again.
Well, it is in the 20's here in Minnesota will be below zero by early next week, and although I did not drive the Wrangler for a few days, the radio started cutting out again today. @JeepCares, so am calling to make another dealer appointment. Sure is frustrating.
Sponsored