I want to replace factory halogen headlights with LED

fishhawg

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2- 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL sport S
I have purchased a new 2018 jeep wrangler JL sport s and want to replace the factory halogen headlights. I did replace the bulbs but now I am " one of those guys" with them blinding people so I took them off. Any ideas on what I can do? I have seen posts on this question but I haven't seen any real answers, if there is just a bulb replacement or do you have to replace the entire headlight. I can't justify spending 600 on headlights on a new jeep though,. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Adjust your headlights down!!!!

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You think that is all I need to do?

Yes. I am running LED replacement bulbs. Have not been flashed once since I adjusted them. Easy way to do it is find level ground near a wall/garage door. Park 25 feet away. Measure 3 ft up the wall and put some tape there. Do that for each headlight. Adjust top of beam to be at the tape.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
You think that is all I need to do?
No. LEDs don't reflect properly in halogen housings - it's kind of a spray pattern. Most LED housings (like the factory ones on the JL) have projectors to cut it off from going to high. You can aim lower to minimize the problem, but you probably won't be happy with the visibility it provides you when driving in the dark.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Yes. I am running LED replacement bulbs. Have not been flashed once since I adjusted them. Easy way to do it is find level ground near a wall/garage door. Park 25 feet away. Measure 3 ft up the wall and put some tape there. Do that for each headlight. Adjust top of beam to be at the tape.
Interesting... I get flashed once in a while with factory LEDs and good aim.

Perhaps some housings work better than others, may make a difference which bulbs as well.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
No. LEDs don't reflect properly in halogen housings - it's kind of a spray pattern. Most LED housings (like the factory ones on the JL) have projectors to cut it off from going to high. You can aim lower to minimize the problem, but you probably won't be happy with the visibility it provides you when driving in the dark.
I thought our headlights were reflector LEDs and not projector?

OP
OP

fishhawg

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is exactly what my Jeep mechanic told me, however he did not have a solution either, I fear if I just adjust them down they will not project far, thus giving me less light than the original halogen light bulb. So I guess there is not just an easy fix.

OP
OP

fishhawg

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will try that, however I am just worried I will not have good visibility adjusting them that far down, because right now I can see great, it is the other people that get blinded. I was told it was because of the halogen light itself ( the actual headlight). The way it projects the LED light. Your thoughts?

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting... I get flashed once in a while with factory LEDs and good aim.

Perhaps some housings work better than others, may make a difference which bulbs as well.
You just made me think of something.....The LED bulb has to be orientated correctly for best results. I have my diodes going perfectly left to right....not up/down or diagonal.

Sponsored

OP
OP

fishhawg

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You just made me think of something.....The LED bulb has to be orientated correctly for best results. I have my diodes going perfected left to right....not up/down or diagonal.
isn't there only one way for them to fit in? I tried different approaches to get them in and they only went in one way. Hmmm food for thought I guess.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

fishhawg

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a second note, my high beams do not work either with the LED lights. So thinking it could be the bulb itself?

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a second note, my high beams do not work either with the LED lights. So thinking it could be the bulb itself?

Could be. When I hit my brights I can see a slight difference....but not much. Just an FYI....I have a set of Quake lights on order. I wanted the Halo DRL and with their sale going on it seemed light the price was right. Look them up in the vendor section.
Sponsored