Sponsored

Report: Pentastar V6 may be replaced by inline turbo 6 cylinder engine

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Don't they use completely different engines in Europe?
That's not the point. I'm sure they would love _not_ to. It's terribly expensive having to do localization vs. having a global product. I have no idea if this rumor is true, but choosing something that works with multiple large market regulations makes all kinda of sense.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
That's not the point. I'm sure they would love _not_ to. It's terribly expensive having to do localization vs. having a global product. I have no idea if this rumor is true, but choosing something that works with multiple large market regulations makes all kinda of sense.
This

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
I've been following this rumor for the last couple of years and it's been pretty consistent. One of the most consistent points that's come up each time this surfaces is that it won't be a normal I6...I think it will actually be a staggered 6 similar to Volkswagen's W6 rather than a traditional I6. The cylinder will likely forgo the traditional cylinder liner, instead using an iron plasma transfer process to essentially coat the cylinder walls with a thin layer of iron, thus allowing the cylinders to be moved even closer together...
The Volkswagen VR6 motor is almost dead, and only available in the Atlas. Modern 4-cyl turbos are more fuel efficient and make as much horsepower. As much as I loved former Jeep I6 motors, that setup is what I would hope for. In the mean time, if the Pentastar 3.6 isn’t sufficient for people, they can bolt on a supercharger at a reasonable cost vs a V8 swap.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
What Jeep ought to do for the Gladiator is to follow Mercedes lead, with its new Euro version of the G-wagon, equipped with its new 3.0-liter, inline six diesel. It's rated at 443 heart hammering, rock crawlin' ft lbs of beautiful torque, from just 1200 RPM, with 268 hp. Too darn bad Mercedes no longer owns Jeep. And then there's us Gladiator diesel wannabee's. Per FCA's statement at the 2018 LA Auto Show, there will be no diesel Gladiator for us until "calendar year 2021." Translation: We'll be lucky if we see an oil burner Gladiator on the show room floor anytime before Dec 31, 2021, meaning 2Q2022, realistically, some 3 and one-half years out from the present time, barring any delays, such as the EPA dropping the hammer on FCA.

Sigh...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That is my point as well.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...fiat-chrysler-patent-turbo-inline-six-engine/

Now that we have more proof of this engine in the works. What are the chances that this engine will replace the v6 and battle the bronco for off road supremacy.

Which brings me to the next dilemma of order the diesel for 21 or wait for the tornado in 22.
I just can't see FCA putting anything over 300hp in the Wrangler platform, unless they do an SRT-esque trim....which historically have been 2wd and lowered (if an SUV).

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm saying automakers are conservative and putting 360hp (the minimum reported level in the YT clip) in a JL tends to give corporate lawyers heartburn.

I think it'd be cool in a JT because of the longer wb and then you could use it for more towing duties....but I think the M220 rear would need to be replaced with something more....and I hope with an INLINE 6 they can still fit a suitable radiator. XJ 4.0s always ran hot (esp here in the Colo mountains) 'cause that long engine didn't leave much room for proper cooling.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
If it wants to compete with the bronco the old 3.6 just isn't gonna cut it. It barely gets out of its own way, heaven forbid if you tow anything. The mpg leaves much to be desired....not that we buy them for that but it is nice to have a jeep offered now that is in the 20s mpg.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...fiat-chrysler-patent-turbo-inline-six-engine/

Now that we have more proof of this engine in the works. What are the chances that this engine will replace the v6 and battle the bronco for off road supremacy.

Which brings me to the next dilemma of order the diesel for 21 or wait for the tornado in 22.
If a new I6 engined code-named Tornado is really in the works and finds it’s way into the Jeep lineup, it will not be the first “Tornado” I6 to do so.

In 1962 Jeep introduced an innovative in-line 6 cylinder overhead cam (!) engine with spherical combustion chambers into it’s lineup...the engine was called the Tornado.
Sponsored