Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the 340i sounds great and has a Twin Scroll single turbo (basically 2 turbos in one housing). I have a M4 which actually has 2 separate turbos and is the worse sounding engine BMW ever produced IMHO. But it puts out 444 hp and 404 lb/ft :clap:
If Jeep could get anywhere near those numbers there would be no need for a NA V8.
I have a 335i X drive M-Sport and love the exhaust note. Almost did the M3 but AWD is better for my heavy-footed wife. That thing can move though. At over 100K miles now itā€™s starting to dribble some oil but Iā€™ve run it hard and had some fun with it.

Whatever the new engine ends up being in the JL, many will complain as some JK owners did about the JL, say it sucks, and point out all the early issues it has. When itā€™s all said and done I am sure it will be a more powerful and efficient engine and we will be stuck with the ā€œolder JL.ā€ That is, until we get new ones again :)
Sponsored

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
Came from an Audi S4 with a supercharged V6. Loved that there was zero lag and it felt like an NA motor vs turbos Iā€™ve had in the past. Of course it wasnā€™t very fuel efficient (only getting 2.5 mpg worse in mostly city driving in the Wrangler.. 19.5 vs 23) so the new S4 models went to a turbo.

We also have a V8 Grand Cherokee that I really like to but I wonder what it would feel like in the wrangler with the extra weight up front. I think a great compromise would be a more fuel efficient V6 SC engine vs Turbo.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JKā€™s , XJ
Fake news, if they were going to stuff a forced induction I-6 in the wrangler they would have never put a boosted 4cyl in it to start. You can pretty much guarantee this will not happen. Title of the thread should be adjusted.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Fake news, if they were going to stuff a forced induction I-6 in the wrangler they would have never put a boosted 4cyl in it to start. You can pretty much guarantee this will not happen. Title of the thread should be adjusted.
Not sure I follow your logic. Many vehicles offer both turbo-4 and turbo-6 engine options (BMW, Merc, Hyundai/Kia, Ford, etc.) The way Europe tiers their displacement taxes, just under 2L and just under 3L are the logical displacement options for all automakers that sell there.

I for one don't plan on waiting for the I6, since I'm sure they'll only offer the 6MT with the cheapest engine option (which will either stay the 3.6L or become the 2.0L). I might wait for the Bronco though, since that will almost definitely offer the Turbo 6+MT combo.

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
And you know this how?
One thing to not forget
Tim K. is now head of Jeep...remember he's the guy that green lighted the Demon.

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
Not sure I follow your logic. Many vehicles offer both turbo-4 and turbo-6 engine options (BMW, Merc, Hyundai/Kia, Ford, etc.) The way Europe tiers their displacement taxes, just under 2L and just under 3L are the logical displacement options for all automakers that sell there.

I for one don't plan on waiting for the I6, since I'm sure they'll only offer the 6MT with the cheapest engine option (which will either stay the 3.6L or become the 2.0L). I might wait for the Bronco though, since that will almost definitely offer the Turbo 6+MT combo.
Don't count on the Bronco having a manual. I think the only vehicle that has a manual any more is the Mustang and Fiesta/Focus ST . So if it does it would be with the 2.3 turbo. The Ranger doesn't offer it with the 2.3 I'd bet against it. Ford is getting pretty lame these days and I'm a Ford fan.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I6 engines have a lot of engineering advantages to V6 engines. So I amam all for it as long as packaging isn't an issue

they have a lot of disadvantages too such as a taller engine to package, harder to balance vibration, oil starvation because the head is so long, thats why most companies went to V configuration....

Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
they have a lot of disadvantages too such as a taller engine to package, harder to balance vibration, oil starvation because the head is so long, thats why most companies went to V configuration....
One of an I6's advantages is the lack of vibration. V6s are the engines with vibration issues. The reason V6s stuck around was the length of the I6. With FWD/transverse mount engines, I6s became hard to package.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I just want the 5.7 L Hemi... why is that hard :(
In one of the post Gladiator reveal videos, it was said that while the Hemi will fit, it takes up the entire engine bay with no room for crumple zones. So while the aftermarket will do it, it's another reason (along with CAFE) Jeep won't offer the Hemi.

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
Yep, the 225 cid slant 6 and push-button automatic in my '63 Valiant station wagon definitely had the snob appeal =p

Reactions: KDB

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
(only getting 2.5 mpg worse in mostly city driving in the Wrangler.. 19.5 vs 23)
Math...just saying.

Yep, the 225 cid slant 6 and push-button automatic in my '63 Valiant station wagon definitely had the snob appeal =p
That slant 6 (and all of Dodge/Plymouth's slant 6's thereafter) was boss. Bulletproof, and easy to work on in the field with a handful of tools. A modern slant 6 would sit lower, provide balance and power, and be easy to fix. Therefore, it will never be made...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
If the 2.0T is a $2,000 upgrade over the 3.6, I can't imagine what Jeep would want for a 3.0 I6T. While it sounds awesome, the economics of it might make it less attractive.
Sponsored