Sponsored

I’m finally finished with my build! Hope to give others ideals for their build.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Wow, that is awesome!!

Speaking as a wife...holy shit 25K on top of the price of new JL Rubi, she must really love you. My husband might divorce me if I spent another 25K.
Lol
Yeah, my wife was not happy with the total cost. It cost me a cruse ship trip for her, our baby boy, her mother and grandmother. With a state room that has a balcony.
That trip should keep her from complaining for the rest of this year. Well maybe! Lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Can you tell us about wiring everything up and are you using any supplemental power for all that stuff or no?
I got the upgraded alternator set up when I ordered the jeep.
All of the lights power to the factory auxiliary switches.
The refrigerator has a power management system built into it as to not kill the battery.

What other questions do you have, I’m glad to help others

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Leveling isn't hard when using a RTT. hell I even did it with my wife's Volvo xc90. Just use parking blocks or rocks.
The rubicon has the off road pages that has a leveling set up in it with the pitch and roll.
If I did not have it, it still would not be a major problem. It is way better than pitching a ground tent

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Can you comment on your choice of tire deflator? I am looking for some and I am quite lost.

TY
Hey

Yes,

Here are the ones I use, I spent the money to get really good ones. Once they are set to the tire pressure you want your good to go. Make sure you get the ones that can go to 5psi.
The cheaper ones will work. I have learned the really hard way to just spend the money once and buy the best.
There is also a company who sells an auto tire inflator and deflator that connects to your air compressor. His shop is in NV. It’s hard wired into the Jeep.
My thought was too many parts that could fail. I’m really hard on my equipment and tend to break stuff a lot.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...VWiETyNVIDaJ1thCxin-ZENU3PWh8hPxoCTykQAvD_BwE

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Very Very nice build! know you really don't want to calculate this but how much $$ do you think you have in mods?
Hey
I’m at $32k in parts and some labor

Sponsored

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Hope ya get to use and enjoy all that...cool. Btw whats wrong with your kodiak canvas tent? I think theyre bomber,n super easy to set up. But i usually stay in one place more than a couple days. I could see going rtt if i moved everyday. Which is prob why,and what you like to do. Enjoy!!!
Great question
Love the Kodiak tent. It is one of or even the best ground tent on the market.
We usually don’t stay in the same location more than one day at a time. We cover a lot of ground and camp in a new place every night.
Finding a spot for the tent can be a pain in the butt. If the ground is rocky you can not get the stakes in the ground, no stakes and the tent will not set up. Too soft of ground and the same problem. Plus it weighs 80+ lbs dry, wet and omg does it get heavy.
If your packing up in too cold or hot setting up and breaking down becomes a job. The new RTT is one minute set up

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Hey

Yes,

Here are the ones I use, I spent the money to get really good ones. Once they are set to the tire pressure you want your good to go. Make sure you get the ones that can go to 5psi.
The cheaper ones will work. I have learned the really hard way to just spend the money once and buy the best.
There is also a company who sells an auto tire inflator and deflator that connects to your air compressor. His shop is in NV. It’s hard wired into the Jeep.
My thought was too many parts that could fail. I’m really hard on my equipment and tend to break stuff a lot.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...VWiETyNVIDaJ1thCxin-ZENU3PWh8hPxoCTykQAvD_BwE
Thanks, for inflating I was given a portable tire inflator that uses batteries from my drill for power. I agree that something like this would warrant the need to buy quality and then not have to buy new ones for years. Thanks for your .02

andyacad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Hi @James this looks great!
I have a question about your Cobra and Yaesu, as I’m figuring out where to mount them in my own Jeep. Since the top is off much of the year your setup looks interesting.
For the Yaesu you mounted the main body under the driver seat? And you keep the faceplate velcro’d inside the center console and take it out when actively using it? And something similar for the Cobra? Is there a drain plug in the center console or did you do some drilling?
Thanks!

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
Wow, full expedition rig. Nice!

Sponsored

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Hi @James this looks great!
I have a question about your Cobra and Yaesu, as I’m figuring out where to mount them in my own Jeep. Since the top is off much of the year your setup looks interesting.
For the Yaesu you mounted the main body under the driver seat? And you keep the faceplate velcro’d inside the center console and take it out when actively using it? And something similar for the Cobra? Is there a drain plug in the center console or did you do some drilling?
Thanks!
Hey
I mounted the both head units under the seat, power is in the passenger kick panel.
I drilled a hole for the cables and put a gomment in the hole for a clean install.
On the Velcro’s I used small screws and cut the tips off and used it to attach the velcro to the inside. The reason was the glue on the back of the velcro would not keep it attached to the inside and kept falling off.
I installed an external speak for the uhf radio so I can hear it. I mounted it to the top of the rear roll bar between the hardtop. I used double sided tape on top and bottom of the speaker and wedged it into place. .
If I was not in a rush I may have removed the overhead speaker bar and took it apart to see if I could flush mount the external speaker into it. I would have done this if I was removing the hard top.
Everything is hidden and out of the way until I need to use it.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Really love this build. What is measurement from Ground to highest point with Kamper closed? Over 85 inches?

OkieMizzou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal JLUR, 2001 Jeep TJ, 2013 Ram 2500 6.7L, 1991 Harley FXLR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking rig! Our Jeeps are/will be very similar. If you take a look at my build thread you'll see a lot of similarity. I've got a good friend in HB who is also into overlanding. He's got a Dune colored JKU with a Gobi rack, etc... We've got some pretty good trips planned if you're interested. I'll PM you some info...

OkieMizzou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal JLUR, 2001 Jeep TJ, 2013 Ram 2500 6.7L, 1991 Harley FXLR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Hey

Yes,

Buy once, cry once. That's my motto...
Sponsored

Last edited: