Sponsored

Diabolical Slipstream Security Enclosure Install and review (with pics)

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Everyones biggest concern with the Soft top or running naked on the wrangler is securing your STUFF, at least that was my main concern as the wrangler has little built in lockable safe space. I looked at all the aftermarket security options including under-seat boxes, tailgate boxes non of these really provided much secure space. I was close to pulling the trigger on the Tuffy cargo area Box (a little over $400) however it is a product that is not very attractive and is just a four walled box that ends up wasting the side space of the cargo area.

Then I found Diabolical Inc. which makes the Slipstream security system for the JK they had just developed one for the JL (I paid $629 on sale). This is a well thought out engineered system that turns your entire cargo area in to a secure space (like having a lockable hard Tonneau cover on your pick up bed). Unlike the Tuffy box that is just that a box on the floor whereas the Slipstream creates a modular deck across the entire cargo area and a walled off back seat.

The Features: because of the modular features the Slipstream provides trunk like security with the versatility of quick folding or removal of the center top deck which basically opens up the entire usable cargo area. The next option to open up even more is the front wall (behind the back seats) swings down or can easily be removed in a matter of seconds to now provide open space from the tail gate to the front seats. Access to the secure area is easy via the open tail gate or a lockable access door located behind the driver side back seat. Once the enclosure is locked and the tailgate closed it is as secure as most car trunks.

The Installation: this was in part the only issue I have with the Slipstream security system as the instruction were based on the JK with little to no reference to the JL installation that definitely has significant installation differences, especially JL's with the alpine subwoofer as there is NO access to tighten the nuts and bolts in that area so you have get creative and still there is one nut that cannot even be put on, so I had to drill and add screws.

Update: Alan from Diabolical emailed me tonight and said he was aware of the bolt issues by the sub and that actually is a major installation change, so now to address this I have the dismantle one side of the system and then put it back together again, they NEVER should have shipped these without proper and current instructions as that added at least a couple extra hours to the installation especially now that I have to remove the hard top again and deal with this which is another couple hours...

My only other complaint was the quality of the powder coating there were numerous parts that had severely blotchy/spattered finish, so finish quality control is less than desirable, I assume these are over spray blotches and not underlying rust, even then I am not pleased with the finish. (Diabolical also responded to this by email they blew it off as likely issues with the spray guns, this is understandable but does not address the cosmetic issues and the poor finish work).

It is a good thing I was not paying someone to install this as it would have cost way more than I paid for it. The Slipstream security enclosure is a great concept and potentially the BEST option out there however I am disappointed in their response to rectify these issues and neglect to ship without the proper instructions creating all this extra work as well as the poor finish work.

Slip%201_zpsst1odueo.jpg

The Rails on top allow you to use the deck as a 2nd level and you can strap down anything on top

Slip%202_zpslnjdgt0o.jpg

Slip%203_zps03d7lk5c.jpg

Slip%205_zpsw4q3jpaw.jpg

The Top Deck folds back for more access (you can also remove the top deck by removing 4 pins located in each corner (takes about 1 minute to remove)

slip%206_zpsrezzlref.jpg

You can also just open it up completely

slip%207_zpsqcxrn4df.jpg

For quick access for small items there is a lockable door located right behind the drivers side rear seat

slip%2010_zpsdzo9xbn1.jpg

One of the big complaints with the soft tops is safely storing the windows , this is a bag I got on Amazon that holds all the windows (rear window id folded with a filler to prevent creasing. Here is a tread that shows storing the windows https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...3-the-cost-of-mopar-and-more-fuctional.17482/

As you can see it is a perfect fit with room left over and now I do not have to worry about my windows walking off when I am parked somewhere...

slip%2012_zpsrqqn6k09.jpg

I have both the soft and the hard tops, the Diabolical Slipstream security system works well with both tops, being in Seattle it is hard top for a few more months so here it is with the Hard Top on

slip%20hard%202_zpstd1kdt4x.jpg

slip%20hard%201_zps6dy8hprz.jpg

slip%20hard%201_zps6dy8hprz.jpg

Below is a picture of the Powder Coat issues I discussed above

powder%203_zpsredlmmqx.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
@lightsout I literally just received mine via UPS. I've not even open the box yet but wanted to look up installation instructions. So you're saying it won't have them in the box?

Can you share a copy/paste of the email you received? If you have information that will make it work please do share. I'm eager to get this installed but won't even begin until I know HOW to do so.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I still do not have a set of the proper instructions...

I emailed Alan about the issues I had and he said they had not included the updated instructions which was an oversight however he was going to get his IT guy to get on it and try and get something online. The main issue was the passenger side and dealing with the subwoofer as that dramatically changes the the installation process and still then there are issues with it rubbing on the sunwoofer cover, even with the process change it is going to be a bitch to get installed correctly. So Now I have to remove the hardtop once again and dissasemble the entire passenger side and try and re install in one piece which will be very challenging, this system is designed to be installed in pieces, this is a workaround for the subwoofer.

The other was the poor quality of the Powdercoating, Mine never should have been shipped like that, I hear so many great things about Alan and when In notified him of this he did not seem concerned or offer and solution kinda you got what yo got and oops we forgot about instructions...

Also on the Subwoofer corner because the fitment is so tight the pin holes to not line up and I have to wiggle and force the pins in as the holes do not line up they are slightly offset, I will likely have to drill them.

It is great product but there are some early adopter issues and QC problems at least in my case (maybe it is isolated to me IDK). I was surprised that Alan sent me an email with excuses however no real resolutions.

So you will have instruction if they have not rectified the update they will JK instructions. Also note I tried to use both the video installation as well as the printed ad they are in completely different orders so that was not helpful so use one or the other.

if you do not have the sub you can get by with the JK instructions, I see you have the Sport so you do not have the Sub, you should be just fine with the JK printed (included in box) or the video installation guide. Without the frustration I had it was a fun project with awesome results.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC7

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I see you have the Sport so you do not have the Sub, you should be just fine with the JK printed (included in box) or the video installation guide. Without the frustration I had it was a fun project with awesome results.
Thanks. I received the box yesterday. I've not even opened it yet. I do have the sub installed. I custom ordered my Sport with it, the tow package and in manual transmission. This is essentially a work vehicle for me, but one I get to have fun in as well. (My 4th Jeep since 1989!)

I think I'll wait to install this. I want this system as I am a photographer and it's perfect for me to transport all my gear. That little door that opens into the passenger cabin is perfect as my C-stands will be able to stick out of it and still be secured to my trail management system. I use a converted BOB strolled to transport all my heavy gear (lots of glass, flashes, metal mounts, etc.) and it will mount to the top of this Slipstream. All of my equipment should fin into the back of the Jeep perfectly.

I'd hoped to install this today but I guess I'll wait until better instructions come out. I also got the Hothead Headliner. I guess I'll install that instead.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks. I received the box yesterday. I've not even opened it yet. I do have the sub installed. I custom ordered my Sport with it, the tow package and in manual transmission. This is essentially a work vehicle for me, but one I get to have fun in as well. (My 4th Jeep since 1989!)

I think I'll wait to install this. I want this system as I am a photographer and it's perfect for me to transport all my gear. That little door that opens into the passenger cabin is perfect as my C-stands will be able to stick out of it and still be secured to my trail management system. I use a converted BOB strolled to transport all my heavy gear (lots of glass, flashes, metal mounts, etc.) and it will mount to the top of this Slipstream. All of my equipment should fin into the back of the Jeep perfectly.

I'd hoped to install this today but I guess I'll wait until better instructions come out. I also got the Hothead Headliner. I guess I'll install that instead.

Check with Alan at Diabolical , last Sunday he emailed me he would have proper instructions the following day, well it is 5 days later and I have seen nothing. You may want to at least try to install it (once you get proper instructions) to see if you too will have problems with the sub. My guess is that when they did the re design to accommodate the sub instead of changing the size of the front door/wall that he tried to keep that part universal and only change the passenger wingwall to accommodate the sub, the problem is it is to tight of a fit it will likely damage the sub cover. When i told Alan about this first he said there should be plenty of extra rubber gasketing to put between the wingwall and the sub cover, there is NO room, at least on mine.

The other thing you need to be aware of is there is one bold on the front passenger wing wall/wing plate connection that once put in place the area to put the nut on no hand can fit in there so there is no way to make that connection, I have to drill hole next to where the bolt went and attached that part with screws which I was not thrilled about s it also compromises security. According to Alan where you 1st install the wink wall and then later install the wing plate yo now need to bolt them together before installing into the jeep, however will be a biatch to make the clamping connection to the side of the jeep as those bolts are also near impossible to nut up and tighten. You see in order for me to tighten those up I had to bend up the front end of the wingplate to get my arm in far enough to tighten the nut that creates the wing plate clamping to the side of the jeep. So if the wing wall and plate are already together on e the front there is no way to tighten the clamp.

The issues with the Sub installation is the sub takes up all the room that is needed to get to the nuts and bolts from underneath, When there is no sub no problem you can get to them, the area is so tight even the smallest of hands cannot get in there. To make it more problematic the wing plat and wing wall connection the nut has to go on a bolt in a "U" channel so it is already hard to get the nuts on when you do have space, can because the nut in is a narrow channel the ONLY wrench you can use is a socket.

i know Alan get rave reviews however the fact they shipped these without proper instructions, or will a problematic configuration with the Subwoofer, really bothers me, especially in m case as I had no advance warning it added a couple hours to my install which is incomplete since that bolt is one of the last connections. Now he is telling me to dismantle and re install with a sketchy solution (that still does not address the subwoofer rubbing). As well I still have not received formal written or video instructions. I really do not like being a beta test.

I will say this again with bugs worked out or in a non sub jeep this is a great secure system...

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Ugh. I was really looking hard at ordering this, but at $700 I’m thinking I’ll just wait till things get a bit more fully baked.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Ugh. I was really looking hard at ordering this, but at $700 I’m thinking I’ll just wait till things get a bit more fully baked.
You should call Alan at Diabolical and discuss this with him as ask what his plan are to deal with this. unfortunately there are only to market options, Tuffy and Diabolical. even with the issues Diabilical is leaps and bounds ahead of Tuffy. This subwoofer issue just needs to be refined. Also so far is seems that the poor powdercoat was isolated and I happen to be one of the lucky ones to get the substandard finish. I know this sounds strange that I am promoting them with the issues I have had, however I believe it is a good product or can be anyway. I am going to call Mopar and see if replacement Subwoofer covers are available and how much in the event mine gets damaged from the slipstream. Just a heads up I have seen the Slipstream at $649 on other reseller sites like Rubitrux.com

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thanks. I’m not writing it off, just disappointed it didnt go as smooth as it should have and that you are not happy with the finish. We all have to realize that most of these vendors are small scale shops and have limited resources. Especially like when something gets popular (ie Tazer, Ace Engieering etc). I appreciate your review and you putting your comments in proper context.

You should call Alan at Diabolical and discuss this with him as ask what his plan are to deal with this. unfortunately there are only to market options, Tuffy and Diabolical. even with the issues Diabilical is leaps and bounds ahead of Tuffy. This subwoofer issue just needs to be refined. Also so far is seems that the poor powdercoat was isolated and I happen to be one of the lucky ones to get the substandard finish. I know this sounds strange that I am promoting them with the issues I have had, however I believe it is a good product or can be anyway. I am going to call Mopar and see if replacement Subwoofer covers are available and how much in the event mine gets damaged from the slipstream. Just a heads up I have seen the Slipstream at $649 on other reseller sites like Rubitrux.com

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I wanted to post a fair assessment but also not throw them under the bus, like you said these are small companies that have bugs to work out. I love the product just disappointed in the execution. In the end I am sure it will all work out. I have to laugh that I am worried about scratches on my subwoofer cover, then how I am likely to react when I get the first trail scratches on the paint. :cwl:

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
None, this is one of the strengths of this system all moving parts have rubber gaskets, the only other parts that cold squeak are the lid and wall pins, those you can plastidip which wold eliminate that issue if they did mine as of no are quiet

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I wanted to post a fair assessment but also not throw them under the bus, like you said these are small companies that have bugs to work out. I love the product just disappointed in the execution. In the end I am sure it will all work out. I have to laugh that I am worried about scratches on my subwoofer cover, then how I am likely to react when I get the first trail scratches on the paint. :cwl:
Lol

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
Hey guys, I received and installed the Diabolical Inc Slipstream JLU system last week. I love it.

I had the same issues described above, particularly the difficulty reaching bolts around the subwoofer, but they were minor and I solved them by installing the kit in a slightly different order. Honestly, I enjoyed these challenges and had a good time putting it together.

The engineering is brilliant and it's impressive how it all fit perfectly.

I regret not making an install video, but I made a review.

You can view it on YouTube or my Instagram. Cheers!

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys, I received and installed the Diabolical Inc Slipstream JLU system last week. I love it.

I had the same issues described above, particularly the difficulty reaching bolts around the subwoofer, but they were minor and I solved them by installing the kit in a slightly different order. Honestly, I enjoyed these challenges and had a good time putting it together.

The engineering is brilliant and it's impressive how it all fit perfectly.

I regret not making an install video, but I made a review.

You can view it on YouTube or my Instagram. Cheers!

Great review and demonstration of the versatility Did yours come with the proper instructions?

That passenger corner the whole side has to be assembles 1st , unfortunately I id not figure that out till it was all put together and had my hard top back on. I too really like tyhis mod and is one of my favorites however just dissapointed in their execution, meaning no instructions and in my case sloppy powdercoat.

Is your wing wall rubbing on the sub cover? also were you able to get the top passenger pin holes to line up enough to have room to plastidip?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Great write up. I too have been considering a security enclosure, and have only found two viable options. This leads me to a few questions.

1. How does the hardtop sit/fit with this cover installed?
My concern is that there will be a gap at the front of the rail, near the rear doors. The Slipstream only goes to the rear seat. This looks like it would create a gap when the hardtop is mounted. How does it actually fit? Any wind or weather able to get in?
gap.jpg

2. How does this compare to a the Tuffy Security Deck Enclosure?
I've seen the cheap Tuffy boxes, that are a full box. Those seem to be inconvenient, but what about the enclosure box? They mount to walls inside the rails, so there's no risk of a gap. They seem easier to install and they're cheaper ($400 vs $700). The lid lifts off without tools (similar to how I understand the slipstream cover does), so the question then becomes how do the front panels compare.
Tuffy-345-Security-Deck-Enclosure-JLU-Rear-Open.jpg

3. How hard is it to remove the front panel so you can access the full capacity of storage? Does it fold down, does it have wing nuts, does it have pins, or what?

Any have any experience with both to have done a comparison?
Sponsored