Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m all for it, I enjoyed doing the maintenance on my BMW’s I6. They must KEEP THE MANUAL transmission though.
Sponsored

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
I like the concept of a 2.0L Hurricane I4 and the 3.0+/-L Super Hurricane I6 or L6 naming convention. Maybe save the Tornado name for another hotter engine. The base could Super Hurricane with 1 turbo and the Tornado is the twin turbo variant
A little biased from my Willys engine conventions.

60_truck_4wd_l-6226_kieth.jpg

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I highly doubt this happens.
I agree, however, it would be pretty freakn cool! I do know one thing, there will be a lot of custom Jeep shops throwing them in Wranglers if it isn’t available from the dealer. The shop here puts Z06 motors in their custom Jeeps!

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
I don't foresee it for the Wrangler. Instead I thought they were focusing on an electric one to help with average CAFE standards?? Who knows...ha ha

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Wonder how the are going to prevent the rear most cylinder from running lean. This plagued the 4.0 when using turbos and superchargers. From what I was told most straight 6 motors don't play nice with boost. Personally I'd rather have a punched out 5.7 hemi.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Wonder how the are going to prevent the rear most cylinder from running lean. This plagued the 4.0 when using turbos and superchargers. From what I was told most straight 6 motors don't play nice with boost. Personally I'd rather have a punched out 5.7 hemi.
Its not hard dude, higher bandwidth injectors and fuel pump...proper cam phasing etc...

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
The 3.0 liter twin turbo in my BMW is SMOOTH and trouble free but the exhaust note sounds awful.

I'd love a twin scroll inline turbo six in the Wrangler.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I actually really like the sound of my 340i with the same setup. Are you a 335 or 340?

The 3.0 liter twin turbo in my BMW is SMOOTH and trouble free but the exhaust note sounds awful.

I'd love a twin scroll inline turbo six in the Wrangler.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
BMW has done straight six turbo engines for years now.

Sponsored

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
Have been an owner of BMW inline six cyclinder engines, that are rock solid. Low maintenance, etc. Turbo is a different question. When one mentions "turbo" the engine then becomes perishable. Why get lazy inserting a turbo to meet specs? Clearly it can be done with good engineering design.

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
Not sure what you USA guys have seen in the past, but Aussie tried to 'phase out the V8' like 2 decades ago. 1st ford dropped the v8 from their inline up, then Holden ( GMH/ GMC), and not long after the V8 returned, in utes and sedans. and now we have the the landcruiser v8, nissan patrol v8, and a ram 1500 petrol v8, not to mention the Jeep GC in v8 . these engines are just a joy and car makers continue to under estimate the demand for NA displacement

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Not sure what you USA guys have seen in the past, but Aussie tried to 'phase out the V8' like 2 decades ago. 1st ford dropped the v8 from their inline up, then Holden ( GMH/ GMC), and not long after the V8 returned, in utes and sedans. and now we have the the landcruiser v8, nissan patrol v8, and a ram 1500 petrol v8, not to mention the Jeep GC in v8 . these engines are just a joy and car makers continue to under estimate the demand for NA displacement
We see the same thing here, both in terms of supply and demand. Awful lotta folks would gladly take a NA V8 any day of the week. But that's people keep referring to the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. They were put in place to distort market demand and force car buyers to less desirable but more environmentally friendly vehicles.

Needless to say, Government imposed market controls work poorly; people in the US are flocking more and more to SUVs and crossovers. So the only way manufacturers can meet the standards and meet customer need is to eliminate the more desired but less efficient options, thus forcing V8 out of the market, and driving 4cyl turbos in everything.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I actually really like the sound of my 340i with the same setup. Are you a 335 or 340?
Yes, the 340i sounds great and has a Twin Scroll single turbo (basically 2 turbos in one housing). I have a M4 which actually has 2 separate turbos and is the worse sounding engine BMW ever produced IMHO. But it puts out 444 hp and 404 lb/ft :clap:
If Jeep could get anywhere near those numbers there would be no need for a NA V8.
Sponsored