ChaseW

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wrangler 392 XR
Hello All,

First actual post here on the forum, and my first Jeep ever! I recently picked up a Bright White JLUR and am closing in on the 3000-mile mark today, loving it so far, although quite a change from what I am used to.

My objective with this thread is thorough information on the Hitch Receiver setup I chose (after lots of existing guidance from the JLForums community) and the Bike Rack I chose, as well as feedback on both. A lot of this information has been posted throughout the forum, but I felt like it would be additionally helpful to consolidate this information into one thread, and possibly offer some additional insight to any wondering.

After my lots of research and lurking the JL Forums, I have arrived at a good setup that works well, and hopefully some other members here will find this information useful.

I am an avid mountain-biker and thus now need a hitch rack, as I previously used roof racks. I have always preferred a “tray-style” Hitch Rack, primarily because it better accommodates the variety of bikes I own, and wider variety of bikes, period. Also, with many of the complex frame designs (particularly with full suspension bikes), wheel sizes, tire widths, materials, and other factors, I know this will be my best solution. There are other quality racks out there that are rear tire/lug mounted, which have the benefit of less-hindered access to the rear of the Jeep, but I do not find those to accommodate my needs as well as the “tray-style” racks, as I have frequently run into fit issues, weird mounting positions, etc, as it relates to the bikes I ride and group of riders I ride with.

I worked in the cycling industry for about 4 years, and have long advocated for Thule, and have always used Thule products. I have had their hitch racks, roof racks, trunk racks, the works. They have always been high quality, have clean and simple integration with various automotive makes and models, and cannot recommend them enough. Since it’s been a while since I have had a hitch rack (instead using roof rack on my VWs), I researched, looked at, played with, and studied all the hitch racks on the market, and kept coming back to Thule and 1UP for a myriad of common reasons. I went with the 1UP Super Duty 2" Hitch Rack to try something new, but also because this rack is all business. Some people have commented that it’s not as “clean” or “finished” looking as some of the larger brands like Thule, Yakima, Kuat, which to a degree, I would agree with. However, the workmanship, quality of materials, security, and operation of the 1UP is about as top-notch as I have ever seen. Another factor in choosing this rack is that the rear clearance and departure angle seemed to be superior to the other racks, if one is going off-road. So, hopefully, this rack is here to stay.

Hitch Receiver and Hardware:

My JLUR has the standard Plastic Bumpers as opposed to the Steel Bumpers, and does not have the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group, so I had to install a receiver. For this, I purchased and installed the following:

- Mopar Trailer Hitch Receiver Assembly (Part # 68251844AB). I purchased this from my local Jeep dealer for $75, and it was delivered next day. For anyone looking at this, keep in mind that it does NOT come with any hardware. Mopar does sell a hardware kit separately, or you can go to your local Fastenal or similar fastener store. The bolts are a specialty size (more on this below), and are not usually sold at Lowes, Home Depot, or regular hardware stores. I got mine from Fastenal locally, but an automotive fastener, online store, specialty fastener store is likely your best bet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Hitch Receiver & 1UP Bike Rack - Detailed Info/Pics {filename}

- U-Haul 8” Hitch Receiver Extension (Part # ADAPTER6). $35. Also picked up at my local U-Haul store. I called around to a few and all 3 stores in the city had them, so they are readily available. This adapter has a 3,000-lb tow rating and 300-lb tongue weight rating, both of which are more than adequate for me.

- U-Haul Anti-Rattle Receiver Locking Hitch Pin (Part # 13144). $18. This is manufactured by Trimax, which has been shown here and there on the forums. It’s a quality pin that does a great job eliminating sway, rattling, and looseness in the receiver. It’s a breeze to install and works great.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Hitch Receiver & 1UP Bike Rack - Detailed Info/Pics {filename}

Important Note: If you plan to use one of these locking/anti-rattle hitch pins, make sure that you get a Hitch Extender that is hollow all the way through. I previously purchased a Curt extender, but there is no good method to secure it from wobbling/rattling. The hole for the hitch pin will only accommodate a smooth hitch pin, as opposed to a threaded pin/bolt.

Below is the Curt 8" Extension:

Below is the U-Haul 8" Extension that I ended up using:

Below is how the Trimax Locking Hitch Pin Installing in the U-Haul Hitch Extension. This creates the ability to use threaded hitch pin to tightly fasten the extension to the receiver:

HARDWARE:

@BWWJL here on the forum gets all the credit for the hardware specs needed, which I found in a thread he posted on the JLForums. So @BWWJL, thank you! My bumper has some sort of steel bracket behind it, with welded nuts on it. Because of this, I needed only the following:

- Metric hex bolts, Zinc plated class 8.8 steel, 12mm x 1.5mm x 120mm, 4 pieces. $10. Picked these up from the local Fastenal store. As previously stated, you will likely not find these at your standard hardware store. I also used Locking Washers, but did not need Nuts, as a bracket (described below) and the hitch receiver have welded Nuts already mounted to them.

Installation:

Installation totaled 20 minutes with adjustable wrench, basic socket set, and deep socket (18mm if I recall correctly). I did not torque these per instructions but will do so once I have access to a torque wrench.

The Mopar Hitch receiver comes with instructions, so if you have one of these, refer those for installation. They are straight forward, except for these two bolts holding on some random bracket/brace behind the plastic bumper.

If your Jeep has these two bolts, then the instructions call for you to remove the entire bumper to gain access to this bracket, as one side of the hitch receiver is to mount between the bracket and the frame rail. This is idiotic, and the bolts to remove the bumper per the instructions are next to impossible to access without proprietary wrenches or a significant amount of disassembly, including removal of the rear fender liners.

I found that if you remove the two lower screws from the bumper (as specified in the instructions) and gently use a wrench to pry against the plastic bumper, you can easily bend the plastic (without stretching it or breaking it) and situate the hitch receiver correctly. Picture below to hopefully communicate this accurately…

Finished Product and Use/Review:

Here’s what the finished product looks like. It looks great and works great. Hitch Receiver and Hardware is excellent and is extremely sturdy and tight. Practically no wobble or rattle at all.

The first use of the rack is excellent. There is 4” of clearance between the rack and the spare tire when the rack is in the "storage" position.

Without bikes on it, the racks lowers enough for the rear gate to open completely, with just a hair of contact from the rear tire to the inner tray. It’s almost indiscernible.

Rear Gate Open with Rack in "operating" position:

Rear Gate Fully Open with Rack Lowered:

The rear camera of course is hindered, but not to the point of annoyance. What is annoying, however, is that the rear parking sensors are now on constantly in review. If anyone knows how to turn off the sensors, please let me know, as I cannot seem to locate it in the owner’s manual.

1UP Review and Feedback:

Positive:
- Excellent Build Quality - As mentioned, it's not as clean-looking at some of the others, but the quality is all there
- Clearance/Departure angle if using off road
- Clearance to open rear gate
- Bike security when loaded
- Minimal movement
- Good clearance to open rear gate

Negative:
- Operation of rack not as intuitive as others
- Loading and unloading not as quick or easy as others
- Need to uninstall and reinstall wheel "cradle" to accommodate all wheel sizes

The bikes are rock solid when loaded, with minimal movement. Loading and unloading is fairly straight forward, but it's just not as easy as Thule. The slide levers and locking mechanism are secure, but definitely less intuitive and more cumbersome to use than some of the other racks. The ground clearance and departure angle of the 1UP is definitely superior to the other options, so if you plan on going deep into the woods with the bikes, this can definitely be a plus. The tilt lever is still easily accessed, but not as good as Thule, which is located front and center on the outside of the rack for easy tilting. 1UP now makes an accessory to relocate this lever similar to Thule, but I am going to live without it for now. While I have not used the rack much so far, I am overall pleased with it, even with the shortcomings. It's definitely a quality rack worthy of all the praise it has received, but I think 1UP can spend some time working on refining a few things that make it's operation a little more intuitive. I am very pleased with the setup and for anyone that chooses to go with any of these items, I am confident you will be happy with it all. Happy Trails!

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up. I didn’t know a 8” extension was an option and will be making my way towards uhaul to grab one and also grab the anti rattle u noted. (Edit: 8” but great to know uhaul has it!)

1up makes a heck of a rack!

I installed the mopar hitch on my sport ... for those that need hardware ...

Mopar part# 68251844AB
Grabbed from CJ Pony for $80 shipped. It doesn’t come with hardware, so here’s my $16 boltdepot.com part list for my sport s (Rubi may include some of this hardware?). Not sure lock washers are needed, but they can’t hurt? Hope this helps someone doing the same.
- 1.5 bolts for welded nuts on hitch (so, no nuts needed)
- 1.75 bolts/nuts for outside holes.

Your Order
Product#
Description Quantity Unit Price Subtotal
6346 Metric hex bolts, Zinc plated class 8.8 steel, 12mm x 1.5mm x 120mm 2 pcs $1.67 $3.34

6779 Metric hex bolts, Zinc plated class 10.9 steel, 12mm x 1.75mm x 120mm 2 pcs $1.80 $3.60

6886 Metric hex nuts, Zinc plated class 10.9 steel, 12mm x 1.75mm 2 pcs $0.24 $0.48

7744 Metric flat washers, Zinc plated class 10.9 steel, 12mm 6 pcs $0.23 $1.38

4829 Metric lock washers, Zinc plated steel, 12mm 4 pcs $0.13 $0.52

Summary
Subtotal: $9.32
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $6.80
Total: $16.12

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
I have a standard receiver hitch and the 1Up rack as well. I found the extension is completely unnessesary, yet a tire relocation bracket moves the spare up enough to allow tailgate opening without issue. I went with the MOPAR version to keep everything very clean.

And, the lever relocation for the 1Up rack was the best money I spent on the rack. My wife was pissed at me foe switching from my old Thule T2 because of how annoying the 1Up was to fold up and down. The relocation lever makes the 1Up the easiest rack on the market to fold up/down. Just be sure the get all of the lengths you need for however many bike trays you might run.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up and I was just thinking of how to get me bikes on a hitch rack. I have the older Thule railway hitch mount and have briefly owned a kuat tray mount. I am planning on my spare being a 35” tire. Ione the 8” extension works with it. I never heard of 1up but will look into it. I like the look of the kuat.

Trailhead Girl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Hello All,

First actual post here on the forum, and my first Jeep ever! I recently picked up a Bright White JLUR and am closing in on the 3000-mile mark today, loving it so far, although quite a change from what I am used to.

My objective with this thread is thorough information on the Hitch Receiver setup I chose (after lots of existing guidance from the JLForums community) and the Bike Rack I chose, as well as feedback on both. A lot of this information has been posted throughout the forum, but I felt like it would be additionally helpful to consolidate this information into one thread, and possibly offer some additional insight to any wondering.

After my lots of research and lurking the JL Forums, I have arrived at a good setup that works well, and hopefully some other members here will find this information useful.

I am an avid mountain-biker and thus now need a hitch rack, as I previously used roof racks. I have always preferred a “tray-style” Hitch Rack, primarily because it better accommodates the variety of bikes I own, and wider variety of bikes, period. Also, with many of the complex frame designs (particularly with full suspension bikes), wheel sizes, tire widths, materials, and other factors, I know this will be my best solution. There are other quality racks out there that are rear tire/lug mounted, which have the benefit of less-hindered access to the rear of the Jeep, but I do not find those to accommodate my needs as well as the “tray-style” racks, as I have frequently run into fit issues, weird mounting positions, etc, as it relates to the bikes I ride and group of riders I ride with.

I worked in the cycling industry for about 4 years, and have long advocated for Thule, and have always used Thule products. I have had their hitch racks, roof racks, trunk racks, the works. They have always been high quality, have clean and simple integration with various automotive makes and models, and cannot recommend them enough. Since it’s been a while since I have had a hitch rack (instead using roof rack on my VWs), I researched, looked at, played with, and studied all the hitch racks on the market, and kept coming back to Thule and 1UP for a myriad of common reasons. I went with the 1UP Super Duty 2" Hitch Rack to try something new, but also because this rack is all business. Some people have commented that it’s not as “clean” or “finished” looking as some of the larger brands like Thule, Yakima, Kuat, which to a degree, I would agree with. However, the workmanship, quality of materials, security, and operation of the 1UP is about as top-notch as I have ever seen. Another factor in choosing this rack is that the rear clearance and departure angle seemed to be superior to the other racks, if one is going off-road. So, hopefully, this rack is here to stay.

Hitch Receiver and Hardware:

My JLUR has the standard Plastic Bumpers as opposed to the Steel Bumpers, and does not have the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group, so I had to install a receiver. For this, I purchased and installed the following:

- Mopar Trailer Hitch Receiver Assembly (Part # 68251844AB). I purchased this from my local Jeep dealer for $75, and it was delivered next day. For anyone looking at this, keep in mind that it does NOT come with any hardware. Mopar does sell a hardware kit separately, or you can go to your local Fastenal or similar fastener store. The bolts are a specialty size (more on this below), and are not usually sold at Lowes, Home Depot, or regular hardware stores. I got mine from Fastenal locally, but an automotive fastener, online store, specialty fastener store is likely your best bet.

- U-Haul 8” Hitch Receiver Extension (Part # ADAPTER6). $35. Also picked up at my local U-Haul store. I called around to a few and all 3 stores in the city had them, so they are readily available. This adapter has a 3,000-lb tow rating and 300-lb tongue weight rating, both of which are more than adequate for me.

- U-Haul Anti-Rattle Receiver Locking Hitch Pin (Part # 13144). $18. This is manufactured by Trimax, which has been shown here and there on the forums. It’s a quality pin that does a great job eliminating sway, rattling, and looseness in the receiver. It’s a breeze to install and works great.

Important Note: If you plan to use one of these locking/anti-rattle hitch pins, make sure that you get a Hitch Extender that is hollow all the way through. I previously purchased a Curt extender, but there is no good method to secure it from wobbling/rattling. The hole for the hitch pin will only accommodate a smooth hitch pin, as opposed to a threaded pin/bolt.

Below is the Curt 8" Extension:

Below is the U-Haul 8" Extension that I ended up using:

Below is how the Trimax Locking Hitch Pin Installing in the U-Haul Hitch Extension. This creates the ability to use threaded hitch pin to tightly fasten the extension to the receiver:

HARDWARE:

@BWWJL here on the forum gets all the credit for the hardware specs needed, which I found in a thread he posted on the JLForums. So @BWWJL, thank you! My bumper has some sort of steel bracket behind it, with welded nuts on it. Because of this, I needed only the following:

- Metric hex bolts, Zinc plated class 8.8 steel, 12mm x 1.5mm x 120mm, 4 pieces. $10. Picked these up from the local Fastenal store. As previously stated, you will likely not find these at your standard hardware store. I also used Locking Washers, but did not need Nuts, as a bracket (described below) and the hitch receiver have welded Nuts already mounted to them.

Installation:

Installation totaled 20 minutes with adjustable wrench, basic socket set, and deep socket (18mm if I recall correctly). I did not torque these per instructions but will do so once I have access to a torque wrench.

The Mopar Hitch receiver comes with instructions, so if you have one of these, refer those for installation. They are straight forward, except for these two bolts holding on some random bracket/brace behind the plastic bumper.

If your Jeep has these two bolts, then the instructions call for you to remove the entire bumper to gain access to this bracket, as one side of the hitch receiver is to mount between the bracket and the frame rail. This is idiotic, and the bolts to remove the bumper per the instructions are next to impossible to access without proprietary wrenches or a significant amount of disassembly, including removal of the rear fender liners.

I found that if you remove the two lower screws from the bumper (as specified in the instructions) and gently use a wrench to pry against the plastic bumper, you can easily bend the plastic (without stretching it or breaking it) and situate the hitch receiver correctly. Picture below to hopefully communicate this accurately…

Finished Product and Use/Review:

Here’s what the finished product looks like. It looks great and works great. Hitch Receiver and Hardware is excellent and is extremely sturdy and tight. Practically no wobble or rattle at all.

The first use of the rack is excellent. There is 4” of clearance between the rack and the spare tire when the rack is in the "storage" position.

Without bikes on it, the racks lowers enough for the rear gate to open completely, with just a hair of contact from the rear tire to the inner tray. It’s almost indiscernible.

Rear Gate Open with Rack in "operating" position:

Rear Gate Fully Open with Rack Lowered:

The rear camera of course is hindered, but not to the point of annoyance. What is annoying, however, is that the rear parking sensors are now on constantly in review. If anyone knows how to turn off the sensors, please let me know, as I cannot seem to locate it in the owner’s manual.

1UP Review and Feedback:

Positive:
- Excellent Build Quality - As mentioned, it's not as clean-looking at some of the others, but the quality is all there
- Clearance/Departure angle if using off road
- Clearance to open rear gate
- Bike security when loaded
- Minimal movement
- Good clearance to open rear gate

Negative:
- Operation of rack not as intuitive as others
- Loading and unloading not as quick or easy as others
- Need to uninstall and reinstall wheel "cradle" to accommodate all wheel sizes

The bikes are rock solid when loaded, with minimal movement. Loading and unloading is fairly straight forward, but it's just not as easy as Thule. The slide levers and locking mechanism are secure, but definitely less intuitive and more cumbersome to use than some of the other racks. The ground clearance and departure angle of the 1UP is definitely superior to the other options, so if you plan on going deep into the woods with the bikes, this can definitely be a plus. The tilt lever is still easily accessed, but not as good as Thule, which is located front and center on the outside of the rack for easy tilting. 1UP now makes an accessory to relocate this lever similar to Thule, but I am going to live without it for now. While I have not used the rack much so far, I am overall pleased with it, even with the shortcomings. It's definitely a quality rack worthy of all the praise it has received, but I think 1UP can spend some time working on refining a few things that make it's operation a little more intuitive. I am very pleased with the setup and for anyone that chooses to go with any of these items, I am confident you will be happy with it all. Happy Trails!

This is such a great post! Thank you!

This 1up tray is just a little too much for me I think. I'm a climber who likes to take the MTB out once in awhile. I only have one bike. I'd like to use a spare tire mount for ease of opening the back of the Jeep and keeping the hitch available if I decide I'd like to pull a pop up. I'm definitely concerned about the back up camera. I've tried to do some research online but I'm not convinced any of the racks take into account the camera on my 2018 Rubi JL. Is there a Thule that you'd recommend for me?

Thanks!!

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
This is such a great post! Thank you!

This 1up tray is just a little too much for me I think. I'm a climber who likes to take the MTB out once in awhile. I only have one bike. I'd like to use a spare tire mount for ease of opening the back of the Jeep and keeping the hitch available if I decide I'd like to pull a pop up. I'm definitely concerned about the back up camera. I've tried to do some research online but I'm not convinced any of the racks take into account the camera on my 2018 Rubi JL. Is there a Thule that you'd recommend for me?

Thanks!!
This is the one I got: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike...iFX1L64tdz65auCjRTt3ZeA6XqPuitARoC3VUQAvD_BwE

I have a Kuat but it's heavy and I almost never need two bikes, so this RockyMounts is a nice single bike option. It's light and tilts out of the way for tailgate/trunk access.

There are a few swing-away options but they are very expensive and a bit clunky, IMO.

This Hollywood rack fits over the tire without messing with the camera. Not sure how steady it is, though. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hollywoo...KwBNVe8PvdRpruIQXVyuF8VAugmqhImxoCGCkQAvD_BwE

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Do yourself (and the drivers behind you) a favor and get some kind of additional brake light. Even a magnetic pair for towing that can be plugged into the trailer plug. From those pictures it looks like the view of all three of your tail lights are completely obscured.

Skyranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have the same 1up set up ( as original post )and love it

OP
OP
ChaseW

ChaseW

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wrangler 392 XR
Thanks @Trailhead Girl! @BWWJL , thanks for reposting the hardware. The 8" extension is perfect.

@Trailhead Girl , the rear camera hinderance is unfortunately just a given with this style of hitch rack. The only way around it in my opinion is to relocate the rear camera, which to me is way more trouble than it's worth. There are a few other options that are not "tray style" as @IronScott pointed out, which might be a good way to get if you only need to haul 1 bike. Some of the tire mounted options work just fine for many people, but my big thing with the tray-style rack is that they accommodate more full suspension frame designs, that often do not mount well on other types of racks. I will still advocate for Thule regardless of which way you go, but the Thule T1, T2, or T2 Pro are all great options depending on your needs if you go tray-style. I've owned the T2 2-Bike before and have nothing but positive things to say about it. 1UP makes a single-bike version of the rack I have as well. Links below:

https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks

@Dan S - thanks for the info. I've been looking at that but your post gives me enough incentive to just order it. Good to know on the length requirement. I don't plan on lifting mine or adding larger tires (at least any time soon), and have not tried the rack installed without the extension, but without the extension, I cannot fold the rack up with no bikes while the rack is mounted on the car.

@OldBird - appreciate that feedback. The lights are not as impeded as they look, but not a bad idea on the 3rd light. I'll need to get the trailer wiring harness to make this work, but something to think about. The 1UP rack has some bright reflectors on the back that definitely help, far more so than other hitch racks (Thule included).

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like some on here have numerous experiences with different trays. I have never seen a 1up. What are major differences with Thule and kuat trays ?

Sponsored

Trailhead Girl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
This is the one I got: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike...iFX1L64tdz65auCjRTt3ZeA6XqPuitARoC3VUQAvD_BwE

I have a Kuat but it's heavy and I almost never need two bikes, so this RockyMounts is a nice single bike option. It's light and tilts out of the way for tailgate/trunk access.

There are a few swing-away options but they are very expensive and a bit clunky, IMO.

This Hollywood rack fits over the tire without messing with the camera. Not sure how steady it is, though. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hollywoo...KwBNVe8PvdRpruIQXVyuF8VAugmqhImxoCGCkQAvD_BwE
Thank you.

Yeah, I def like the price of the Hollywood better but like you, I'm skeptical about it's stability while off roading.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Nice write up. I found my Thule 2-bike rack would not allow me to open the rear gate. I bought an 8” extension at a local uhaul and it was only $29! Cheaper than several on line prices I saw. They also had an anti rattle pin for an extra $5.

Unfortunately, the Thule carrier still interferes with the tailgate when you lower it.

Trailhead Girl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Thanks @Trailhead Girl! @BWWJL , thanks for reposting the hardware. The 8" extension is perfect.

@Trailhead Girl , the rear camera hinderance is unfortunately just a given with this style of hitch rack. The only way around it in my opinion is to relocate the rear camera, which to me is way more trouble than it's worth. There are a few other options that are not "tray style" as @IronScott pointed out, which might be a good way to get if you only need to haul 1 bike. Some of the tire mounted options work just fine for many people, but my big thing with the tray-style rack is that they accommodate more full suspension frame designs, that often do not mount well on other types of racks. I will still advocate for Thule regardless of which way you go, but the Thule T1, T2, or T2 Pro are all great options depending on your needs if you go tray-style. I've owned the T2 2-Bike before and have nothing but positive things to say about it. 1UP makes a single-bike version of the rack I have as well. Links below:

https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks

@Dan S - thanks for the info. I've been looking at that but your post gives me enough incentive to just order it. Good to know on the length requirement. I don't plan on lifting mine or adding larger tires (at least any time soon), and have not tried the rack installed without the extension, but without the extension, I cannot fold the rack up with no bikes while the rack is mounted on the car.

@OldBird - appreciate that feedback. The lights are not as impeded as they look, but not a bad idea on the 3rd light. I'll need to get the trailer wiring harness to make this work, but something to think about. The 1UP rack has some bright reflectors on the back that definitely help, far more so than other hitch racks (Thule included).
This is so helpful, thank you!

I think because of stability concerns, I'll shop only for hitch mount and not spare tire mount. I'll cross that "bring bikes AND a pop up camper" issue when I get to it.

Also, thanks to this thread, I think I'll narrow my shopping to:
Thule T2, 1up or Rocky Mounts.

But let me ask for clarification, do I understand that I also need to buy a hitch extension in order for the rack to clear the spare tire? Do I need the extension for all of the 3 racks that I'm considering?

Thanks!!

Trailhead Girl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Nice write up. I found my Thule 2-bike rack would not allow me to open the rear gate. I bought an 8” extension at a local uhaul and it was only $29! Cheaper than several on line prices I saw. They also had an anti rattle pin for an extra $5.

Unfortunately, the Thule carrier still interferes with the tailgate when you lower it.
GOOD TO KNOW! Thank you!