Sponsored

Considering Purchase of Jeep Pickup Truck but . . .

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
By reading some of the posts on this forum one might expect more JLs in the service lot than the sales lot. You do have to keep in mind, people aren't writing about how they have no issues on this forum. If someone has an issue, they go to the internet (this forum) to either complain or seek a solution. Billy down the road doesn't post on this forum because 1. He has no issues, or 2. He doesn't want to upgrade anything. I'm new to the 2019 JL, only 600 miles. I did end up buying the extended warranty because I have concerns. Some people do have real problems, and that does suck. But I also think some people read about the steering, and become convinced they have a steering issue because: 1. Its different than their previous vehicles, and 2. Its all they read about - constantly. Don't get me wrong, there are some, an extreme minority, that do have steering issues. So far I can say my JL handles differently than any other vehicle I've owned, not necessarily bad, just different. It's the second vehicle I've owned with 4wd, and the first with 33 inch tires. I would guess many others are in the same category.

That being said, I am of the mindset to usually wait a year or two after a new model is introduced to see reliability issues, for ANY manufacturer. I tend to put more miles on my vehicles than most, I drive about 20k-25k miles a year, so I want to know what I am getting into. And despite the lifetime warranty, if I begin having issues, I will cut my losses.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So, for some of you skeptics on here if FCA is such a shitty company and Jeep JL's are such a poor product, and you know that. Why would you buy one?
Because it’s the only vehicle of its kind. In a word, lack of competitors. Because unfortunately they’re the only game in town for this type of vehicle.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
By reading some of the posts on this forum one might expect more JLs in the service lot than the sales lot. You do have to keep in mind, people aren't writing about how they have no issues on this forum. If someone has an issue, they go to the internet (this forum) to either complain or seek a solution. Billy down the road doesn't post on this forum because 1. He has no issues, or 2. He doesn't want to upgrade anything. I'm new to the 2019 JL, only 600 miles. I did end up buying the extended warranty because I have concerns. Some people do have real problems, and that does suck. But I also think some people read about the steering, and become convinced they have a steering issue because: 1. Its different than their previous vehicles, and 2. Its all they read about - constantly. Don't get me wrong, there are some, an extreme minority, that do have steering issues. So far I can say my JL handles differently than any other vehicle I've owned, not necessarily bad, just different. It's the second vehicle I've owned with 4wd, and the first with 33 inch tires. I would guess many others are in the same category.

That being said, I am of the mindset to usually wait a year or two after a new model is introduced to see reliability issues, for ANY manufacturer. I tend to put more miles on my vehicles than most, I drive about 20k-25k miles a year, so I want to know what I am getting into. And despite the lifetime warranty, if I begin having issues, I will cut my losses.
I disagree. There are tons of people posting that they don’t have problems. They feel the need to defend Jeep’s honor anytime someone complains or posts about a problem they are having. As if to invalidate the problems that others have simply because they don’t have them.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Agreed. Way too many people pull out their individual ownership anecdotes and act like that cancels out the statistics across hundreds of thousands of vehicles. If you get a good JL good for you. But don’t act like they aren’t causing problems for a great deal of owners.
Over 220k JLs sold this year. Boo hoo to all the haters.

Suck it...

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I disagree. There are tons of people posting that they don’t have problems. They feel the need to defend Jeep’s honor anytime someone complains or posts about a problem they are having. As if to invalidate the problems that others have simply because they don’t have them.
You are right, there are alot of people that post about no problems, I hope to be one, I just need more than 600 miles to do it. Maybe I phrased myself wrong. There are alot of people that come to the forums (any vehicle), looking for pluses/minuses of whatever they are looking at. A lot of the time, they may focus on the minuses, because that is what might cost them money, or they are looking for an excuse to get something else. There are some people making repeated posts about the steering, and what I mean is the same person posting about it over and over again, so it looks worse/more frequent than it may be.

Jeep is selling a ton of JLs. So there will be issues. But there are also many more without issues.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Over 220k JLs sold this year. Boo hoo to all the haters.

Suck it...
That’s pretty insensitive to all the people that have wasted hours upon hours with their brand new JLs in the shop, or leaving them on the side of the road, or fighting FCA for warranty coverage or safe frame welds and steering. They’re people too.

There’s more to life than sales figures. Like character, for example.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So, for some of you skeptics on here if FCA is such a shitty company and Jeep JL's are such a poor product, and you know that. Why would you buy one?
I have owned a CJ-5, two XJs, an MJ, a JK, and now a JL. I have also owned half a dozen 4x4 Dodge/Ram trucks including two Power Wagons. What I am saying is that I am aware of the AMC/Chrysler/FCA quality control.

I bought the JL before a lot of the issues came in. I feel it is innovative and will be reliable eventually, relative to the Jeep brand. FCA is just rushing production right now as a lot of issues seem to be caused from this. So I am disappointed at the assembly quality and feel it is WAY below the industry standards. It will get there.

My bigger issue is in how the customer service at FCA corporate doesn’t return phone calls or emails once an issue rises to that level. My case is at the highest level and my representative called once, the day she got the case on 11/30/2018. She asked me where my Jeep had been and even the phone numbers for the dealerships, all basic information that should have been in my file or she could find on Google. That is the last I heard from her despite numerous attempts on my part. There are others here with similar experiences.

I REALLY like Jeeps but between the worse than usual number of issues and FCA corporate’s apathy once it gets to their level, I am considering other options.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
I really hope a better company offers a real Wrangler competitor one day. One that works properly, with reliability more on-par with Toyota than Jaguar.

Until that day comes, it has no competition, and is one of a kind. Would be nice to some if we got the new Suzuki Jimny.
It would be nice to have offerings from other auto manufacturers

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
Because it’s the only vehicle of its kind. In a word, lack of competitors. Because unfortunately they’re the only game in town for this type of vehicle.
Sorry it is taking so long for your JL. See you have been posting here since Feb 2018. Did you order a 2018 or have just been gathering info that long and ordered a 2019?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Jeep initial quality is horrendous. BUT.... the Gladiator will be awesome and a one of a kind truck. Get one! I probably will myself when my lease is up.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sorry it is taking so long for your JL. See you have been posting here since Feb 2018. Did you order a 2018 or have just been gathering info that long and ordered a 2019?
I joined this forum early this year to learn all that I can, both good and bad, about the new JL prior to purchasing one. I waited and ordered a 2019 model when ordering for them opened.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
I'll even add that we were doing so many, that the owner of the shop decide it was more profitable to keep factory remained ones on hand- that way the dealer was stuck warranting the POS and we didn't occupy the builders time with those things.
Sponsored