Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to say thanks for all the posts on this subject. I have Oracle Halo's coming and your hard work and input is awesome and helpful (I think I've read all the posts on this subject, so forgive me if I missed something). 2 things for me (JLUR non LED pkg), my DRL's go out while the turn signals are engaged, I'm guessing the Halos's would follow suit if tied into those?

So just to go thru the stock lights and swt settings so we are all clear; When the light swt is set to off "O", engine running and the ebrake is released, the DRL's come on (reminder this is on my '18 JLUR and sounds like its different on other models), When swt is turned to the first (next) position the marker and parking/running lights (the lower powered "dim" whatever you want to call those lights) and DRL's are actually both on. It's hard to tell, but if you do this at night and parked against something very close, you can see it change. In the next position (manual headlight position), headlights come on and the DRL's don't dim, they drop out and the marker and parking/running lights stay on even when blinker is turned on. Auto position would emulate manual headlight position when dark enough. I read there are 3? wires to DRL/running lights on the fender, so there must be 2 circuits and 2 elements in the bulb assuming it's one bulb, much like old school 1157 tail/brake/turn signal light bulb. DRL's are the brighter element and the parking/running light the dimmer element. Also pushing in on the center of the swt turns the fog lights on in any position except for off "O". The fog lights turn off when you turn the high beams on, back on when back to low beam (sheew, I think I got that all right!?).

I actually would like to figure out how to keep the Halo's on all the time, whenever vehicle is moving day or night (regardless of swt position), but don't really want to tie into aux swts and do it manually each time. I'm not sure if any of the programmers overcome any of this? I thought I read somewhere that the DRL's can be programmed to always be on regardless of headlight or blinker?? I guess you could always tie into the marker or parking/running lights and just turn swt to first click. I'm not sure what those halo's draw for power.

As someone mentioned, this may all seem a bit silly, I like to be different (my nickname has been "freakshow" for 20+ years) and I'm impatient. I bought my JLUR off the lot. The only thing it was missing (that I had on my list), was the LED and the Aux swt options. I've already added the S-TECH lighting control so that's done. I like to tinker and figure things out anyway.. so for me, this is fun (I know.. I'm a little sick that way!). If I come up with anything, I will comment and of course follow any ideas here as well. Again I'm sorry if I've duplicated anything here that was already said. It can be a bit overwhelming to search and read it all.
You did a thorough job of going through the thread. There is a lot going on here!
Sponsored

Freakshow

First Name
Davy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018- Wrangler JLUR, 2001- Ford F250 HD Crew V10
Vehicle Showcase
Funny you say that, because that is originally how I was going to wire them. For my purposes demonstrating to a larger audience (many of whom may not have a Rubi with factory aux switches), I thought I would go this route. The halos are super low draw! I am enjoying the setup!
So what did you tap into the DRL or the dimmer park/running lights?

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone is interested, you can save 10% off of ORACLE Lighting products at checkout by using the code AMERICANJEEPER. Thank you to Oracle for this to pass along a little holiday spirit in the form of some savings on lights!

By the way, I have the LED DRL’s and will be installing and posting a short video soon. This will complete the LED upgrade solution on the outside of the JL.

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If anyone is interested, you can save 10% off of ORACLE Lighting products at checkout by using the code AMERICANJEEPER. Thank you to Oracle for this to pass along a little holiday spirit in the form of some savings on lights!

By the way, I have the LED DRL’s and will be installing and posting a short video soon. This will complete the LED upgrade solution on the outside of the JL.
Well can you post soon because my DRL’s look very yellowish compared to my headlights now lol.

And need a link to the LED DRL’s.

C6B80C55-2F61-49E2-9DDD-C94342D6845E.jpeg

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well can you post soon because my DRL’s look very yellowish compared to my headlights now lol.

I am with you-should be any day!

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
Im playing devils avocate here but im wondering if dicking around with swaping bulps in headlights and tail lights and in fenders, wires to halo’s etc is worth it vs. checking a box for $ 800, and being done with it.

LED option isn’t available on the sport

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)

Diode Dynamics sells LED switchbacks. Very easy install.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Diode Dynamics sells LED switchbacks. Very easy install.
Yes, but they are designed for the Sport model. In the Sahara and Rubicon, the turn signal and DRL are separate bulbs. The Diode Dynamics DRL bulbs for the Sahara and Rubicon are either improperly designed or mine are defective. They do not function the way that the stock DRL do.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but they are designed for the Sport model. In the Sahara and Rubicon, the turn signal and DRL are separate bulbs. The Diode Dynamics DRL bulbs for the Sahara and Rubicon are either improperly designed or mine are defective. They do not function the way that the stock DRL do.
What’s going on with them?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What’s going on with them?
They don’t have 2 stage illumination like the halogen bulbs do, so depending on which direction you plug them in, they’re either only on when headlights are on, or only when the headlights are off. The stock bulbs just dim, and I think it’s because the DRL are the same as parking lights. I’ve been talking with DD about it to see what can be done, so we’ll see.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They don’t have 2 stage illumination like the halogen bulbs do, so depending on which direction you plug them in, they’re either only on when headlights are on, or only when the headlights are off. The stock bulbs just dim, and I think it’s because the DRL are the same as parking lights. I’ve been talking with DD about it to see what can be done, so we’ll see.
What a pain!
Sponsored