Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Hey everyone.

Here is my independent review of the Freedom Jack for the all new 2018 Wrangler JL.

The video's as unprofessional as the Freedom Jack is professional. Heck, I even manage to end up with the camera upside down for the last minute.

But it's shot single camera single take, no editing software and I'm no videographer!

This product is awesome, inexpensive, easy to assemble and use, and safe.

Happy reviewing!
Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Thanks for preparing this. Would you be able to measure the total length with the top being stored as shown in the attached? I need to make sure it will fit like that in my garage.

1.jpg

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Thanks for preparing this. Would you be able to measure the total length with the top being stored as shown in the attached? I need to make sure it will fit like that in my garage.

1.jpg
I'm happy to provide you with measurements. What it is I think you wish, combined with what I think would be useful for you and others seeking your application would be:

* the distance from the back of the shop crane to where you could drive the JL up to and not hit it, with the extended legs under the rig (as shown, only maybe with the rig closer)

* the height at the very top when the hard top is level as shown, from the ground

* the distance from the back of the shop crane to where the hard top's windows end, and

* the distance from the back of the shop crane to where the hard top's very top ends (I think this is what you specifically desire.)

If I've missed a measurement you wish, please say so.

Note: you cannot store the shop crane with the legs up if its carrying weight, like that of the hard top. It would not be safe, and I can all but assure you that the crane would tip over from the weight with the shop crane's extended legs up in storage position. The legs up in storage position, where the crane will occupy a smaller footprint, is only indicated when the crane is not weight barring.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned

1.jpg

Using this shop crane:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-61858.html

It's 17" from the back most point of the crane to where the JL's front bumper touches it.

It's 103" from the back most point of the crane to where the front most part of the hard top's rear, not including the Freedom Panels (shown on the ground) ends.

It's 212" from the back most point of the crane to where the stock spare tire ends.

Positioning the hard top to be parallel to the ground by raising the crane to that height (it could go higher or lower) it's 79".

I hope that helps Young04.

IMG_2287.JPG

Last edited:

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
It does, thank you!

Sponsored

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's 103" from the back most point of the crane to where the front most part of the hard top's rear, not including the Freedom Panels (shown on the ground) ends.***
IMG_2287.JPG
103"?
Let's say the cherry picker is being placed against the back wall of a garage. How much extra space do you think's needed to account for the window being open? I'm guessing 6-8 inches?

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
103"?
Let's say the cherry picker is being placed against the back wall of a garage. How much extra space do you think's needed to account for the window being open? I'm guessing 6-8 inches?
Hey George, is it the distance "X" in the version of the picture below, marked in green, that you seek?

I'm glad to provide you with an answer, I just need to know if you and I are referring to the same thing.:)

IMG_2287_2.jpg

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Basically, I'm interested in the horizontal distance from the open window to the opposite end of the top. And I just realized I can measure that myself with my own top sitting on my jeep. It was late when I posted. Thanks for the response.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Basically, I'm interested in the horizontal distance from the open window to the opposite end of the top. And I just realized I can measure that myself with my own top sitting on my jeep. It was late when I posted. Thanks for the response.
No problem George. Let me know if I can be of further help.

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
Just an FYI if you’re in contact with them. The link on there website to buy from eBay is broken.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It cannot.:)
Okay. I'll explain it this way, I'm looking for clearance measurements presuming the top is on the CP and the CP is as close to a back wall as possible. Your measurements are relative to the jack, and I'm looking for measurements relative to a back wall. The back window being open definitely throws a monkey wrench into the mix.

I've got a ceiling mounted shelf just above my jeep, so that why I'm asking for more specific measurements. LoL

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
And it's early too?
Can the window close when the top is on the cherry picker?
George..pardon these thoughts as my being over cautious, not you being stupid.

Seasonal storage of the hard top on the Freedom Jack, while entirely doable--as you may realize--is predicated on either acquiring a segment of PVC pipe, notched out lengthwise from Dale (the Freedom Jack's maker), who will gladly sell it to you, or your creation of same.

This pipe goes around the steel pole that lifts the jack to prevent it, over the time of a season's storage, from losing some of its compressed air and lowering the hard top inadvertently.

Please appreciate this as not product defect of any engine crane, but like the need to periodically inflate vehicle tires, the simple fact that these air holding systems are 99%, but not 100% leak proof.

At season's conclusion, I recommend you repump the engine crane higher than the pipe, to insure sufficient compressed air in the engine crane, and to facilitate the pipe's removal prior to lowering the hard top back on the rig.

One of this system's best attributes, IMHO is how you can so precisely control the air bleed of these cranes by adjusting the bleed valve to slowly lower the hard top while positioning it.

===

One more really stupid thing on my part. Most of these crane's lever tool, that pumps the crane, features a tip that can turn the bleed valve. Not realizing this initially, this "rocket scientist" unnecessarily resorted to the use of plyers on the bleed valve: fine but unnecessary.

Final thought: wait until the crane goes on sale at Harbor Freight. Join Harbor Freight if the cost of membership is less than the discount said membership might provide you on the crane's cost. Find coupons at Harbor Freight's website.

Cheers.
Sponsored