First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
There are a lot of threads about steering problems on the forum. Have you searched for all of them to see if you can find a similarity?
I had followed the steering issues a while ago, prior to this problem, but eventually stopped after finding mine was working file. Then, fast forward 2500 miles, and this happened. I tried going back through some but gave up due to the sheer number of steering posts.

It should be noted that this occurred 4 or 5 times, in quick succession, about 11 days ago and it has not re-occurred since.
Sponsored

TheSterners

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I read through the Service Bulletin but the symptoms it describes are not the same as mine. The SB states a reduction in steering assist at highway speeds. In my case, I lost ALL steering assistance and each time it occurred it was ay very low speeds, under 15 mph, each time while making a right-hand turn.
I noticed that about the service bulletin as well. When it happened to me, it was at low speeds, thankfully. Both times it gave way which is definitely a safety hazard. I don't know what weather has to do with power steering, but both times this happened to me, I was in below 40 temps, which I do not experience yet at home. My Jeep is at the dealer now for this problem. At least now it is documented. I hope no accidents happen because of this.

Well, the dealer just called me and said they couldn't replicate the problem, which I knew that. The service bulletin didn't apply because it happened at low speeds and not high speeds. I was told to document when it happened again, and hopefully when the cold sets it, either there won't be an issue, or they can replicate the problem. :(

Last edited:

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Mine was temperature related. Ambient outdoor temperature lower than 35 degrees. When does yours happen?
Hi Donna.. I am experiencing the same issue as yours (loss of steering below 40 degrees)... question... did the dealer first try to flash / reconfigure your Jeep?... or did they just replace the pump right away? Thanks!

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It happened again.

For the past month, the power steering has worked fine and has not cut out again - until today.

I started the Wrangler this morning and almost immediately I received a "Service Power Steering" error message and the power steering no longer worked. I had to drive about 70 to 80 miles without power steering and it remained non-functional for the 3 hour time period. I called the dealer and scheduled to bring it in and then about 4 km from the dealership it started working again. Now I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they come back with.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Hi Donna.. I am experiencing the same issue as yours (loss of steering below 40 degrees)... question... did the dealer first try to flash / reconfigure your Jeep?... or did they just replace the pump right away? Thanks!
Dealer flashed my system based on Service Bulletin TSB 08-092-18 (I actually brought a printed hard copy of the bulletin to the dealer and gave it to them).. and I recently drove for a while in under 40 degrees Fahrenheit conditions (as low as 32 F based on my Jeep's display) ... and my Jeep operated normally.. no locking up the steering system or heaviness of the steering wheel... so it seems the procedure fixed the problem in my particular case ( car made between Oct 2017 and May 2018... low ambient temperature, in my case issue started at around 40 F and below).. I am going to drive my JL in snow in the coming weeks... I will report back.. but so far it seems the procedure solved the issue!

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2007 Audi RS4, 2014 Audi SQ5, 2005.5 Audi A4 Avant
Occupation
realtor
They insisted on flashing the computer back to factory defaults first. That did not work, so then they had to replace the pump. FCA dictates the 2 step procedure.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I took my JLU mid-day Friday. After not hearing anything on Saturday I called the dealer (Maple Ridge Chrysler Jeep Dodge) and got voice mail 6 out of 6 times. I left a message. I also used the dealership's chat function, on their website. this was all to no avail and no return phone call or information was provided. I phoned again on Monday morning and was told, "Oh, your car is ready whenever you want to pick it up.

It turns out that the service dept got an error code from the Jeep's system reading a low voltage condition so the dealership checked the battery and fuses and finding nothing wrong, the simply gave it back to me, unchanged.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It has been a full week now and still no return call from the Service Manager of Maple Ridge Chrysler Jeep Dodge. A second contact was made with the dealership and I was assured I would get a return call, but it never came.

Today I filed an official complaint with Transport Canada. Defect Complaint Form - Confirmation Number: 2018-2504

This is a serious safety issue and the dealership obviously is not the least bit concerned about the health and safety of our family or other motorists on the road.

I have also completed a contact form on FCA Canada's website advising them of the problem both with the JLU's steering and the dealership's service department.

Now I guess I'll wait a bit and see if either of these produce a positive change.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Man, that's a serious issue. I had a Cobra that one time snapped its accessory belt and lost power steering while going around a corner at a normal speed. Almost wound up slamming into a tree.

Sponsored

Sococajun

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Mine was temperature related. Ambient outdoor temperature lower than 35 degrees. When does yours happen?
Thank you for posting this! This just happened to me tonight on the way home on the interstate. Also in Colorado. I'll take this SB with me to my dealer in Colorado Springs. Wish I was closer to Ft Collins. I hope Faricy Boys treats me as well as your dealership did. Did they take your word for it or did they have to replicate the problem?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
The JL has an electric power steering pump, it is not driven from the engine. I had many fuses and relays not fully seated in my Jeep. I would check any related to the power steering pump, as well as all wiring to the pump for loose connections.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you for posting this! This just happened to me tonight on the way home on the interstate. Also in Colorado. I'll take this SB with me to my dealer in Colorado Springs. Wish I was closer to Ft Collins. I hope Faricy Boys treats me as well as your dealership did. Did they take your word for it or did they have to replicate the problem?
It appears you did not see my post of Sunday, Dec 8: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ss-of-power-steering.17748/page-2#post-478087

The dealer did jack to address the problem and the service manager won't even return my call to explain how to address the problem.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The JL has an electric power steering pump, it is not driven from the engine. I had many fuses and relays not fully seated in my Jeep. I would check any related to the power steering pump, as well as all wiring to the pump for loose connections.
Yes, I am aware that the steering is electrically powered but in both cases the failure occurred after an extended drive time and the electrical system checked out okay. When I took delivery I checked and made sure all the fuses nd relays where properly seated. Eight of them were not seated.

The work order states they checked the batteries and fuses but that was it. Since their service manager won't return a customer call, I can't find out if they checked anything else or where to go from here.

Sococajun

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
It appears you did not see my post of Sunday, Dec 8: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ss-of-power-steering.17748/page-2#post-478087

The dealer did jack to address the problem and the service manager won't even return my call to explain how to address the problem.
Ron_H, I quoted another forum post from DonnaInColorado. I'm hoping my dealer treats me like her dealer did by addressing the issue. This will be the first issue I've had to work with the dealer on, so fingers crossed it goes well!
Sponsored