Sponsored

Unexpected side effect from adding Christmas wreath to grill

ryanv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport 2-door
Just added a Xmas wreath to the grill of my 2 door. Shortly after, I drove my son to an appointment. Once I reached about 35 mph, the top of my soft top started fluttering. It immediately caught my attention since I’ve been so impressed with how quiet the soft top is, exhibiting minimal wind noise.

I had a theory about the cause so when the appointment was over I removed the wreath before we headed home. Sure enough, no fluttering. Amazingly it seems that small wreath disrupted the aerodynamics of the car enough to upset the airflow over the roof and cause the top to make the flapping sound.

Problem solved - the wreath is now on the spare tire. Happy holidays!

7B331E4D-5E9B-429D-AB6C-3EF2CDF6ADEF.jpeg

D2885527-B6E8-4D1D-AAF6-2E57D5ED5D13.jpeg
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The spare tire is the perfect spot for it.

However, now I'm worried about changing my front bumper. I was also pleasantly surprised by the quiet and non-flapping soft top. I don't want it to become an issue.

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Just added a Xmas wreath to the grill of my 2 door. Shortly after, I drove my son to an appointment. Once I reached about 35 mph, the top of my soft top started fluttering. It immediately caught my attention since I’ve been so impressed with how quiet the soft top is, exhibiting minimal wind noise.

I had a theory about the cause so when the appointment was over I removed the wreath before we headed home. Sure enough, no fluttering. Amazingly it seems that small wreath disrupted the aerodynamics of the car enough to upset the airflow over the roof and cause the top to make the flapping sound.

Problem solved - the wreath is now on the spare tire. Happy holidays!

7B331E4D-5E9B-429D-AB6C-3EF2CDF6ADEF.jpeg

D2885527-B6E8-4D1D-AAF6-2E57D5ED5D13.jpeg
;)That wreath Ryan did NOT, I repeat, did NOT mess with your aerodynamics.

You simply attracted the attention of Santa's sled and his reindeer with it, who flew by and caused that wind disturbance!;)

P.S. Santa does not approach JL's from behind..hence the wreath is fine in back. This is because he's still mesmerized by their new look.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
;)That wreath Ryan did NOT, I repeat, did NOT mess with your aerodynamics.

You simply attracted the attention of Santa's sled and his reindeer with it, who flew by and caused that wind disturbance!;)

P.S. Santa does not approach JL's from behind..hence the wreath is fine in back. This is because he's still mesmerized by their new look.
Yep - 100% agree. Santa was just letting you know subtly that only SANTA can have a wreath on the front of his ride (sled). Not you. So the back is a perfect compromise. Thank gosh I decided not to do do the same with my hard top. I probably wouldn't haven't gotten any presents this year for being naughty :surprised:

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
This is ridiculous. On a $60,000 vehicle I should be able to put a wreath wherever the hell I want!

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
This is ridiculous. On a $60,000 vehicle I should be able to put a wreath wherever the hell I want!
1) $60k doesn’t entitle you to anything other than what comes with the vehicle
2) It’s really $30k that you chose to spend $30k in options on
3) get the hardtop

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
3) get the hardtop
Joking.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
3) get the hardtop
If the vehicle is stickered 60k, it is a 60k vehicle. It doesn't matter how the the company created the price point. That's like saying your 600k house is really only a 300k house, but you chose the options of a kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, and a garage... This is faulty logic.

Sponsored

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
Haaa! I am such a genius, I put a live one on the front of my Range Rover a couple years ago. At the end of the season, where do you think all of the sap and needles ended up? You guessed it....Lodged in the radiator!

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
If the vehicle is stickered 60k, it is a 60k vehicle. It doesn't matter how the the company created the price point. That's like saying your 600k house is really only a 300k house, but you chose the options of a kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, and a garage... This is faulty logic.
Not at all. If you buy a $20k economy car then opt for a $20k high performance package don’t expect a $40k car’s interior.

In order for a house to be called a house, it has to come with bedrooms, a kitchen, and garage. Buying a double wide and and spending $300k in countertops, and marble bathrooms doesn’t make it a mansion.

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
Real die hard Jeep enthusiasts do not install wreaths on Jeeps.:punch:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
A real Jeeper would hang a mud-covered rock on the grill. Wreath, pfft!
I hear that Scott, but would like to add two more words to your thoughts for fairness.

…."A real Jeeper would choose to hang..."

To the extent that we choose paths that give our Wranglers the dents of life I fully endorse. A Wrangler is meant to be lived in.

It's quite another when others, without our consent, age our Wrangler.
Sponsored